Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Great win for Federer proving the naysayers of last year wrong but as a Djokovic fan I hope he clinches the year end number 1 ranking but that'll definitely be easier said than done
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Krish4791)
    Hi, welcome

Here's some quick info on serving:

"The server has two attempts to get the ball in.
    If the ball lands outside the service box or does not clear the net or the net post, it is known as a 'fault'.

If any part of the ball touches the line, the ball is in

After one fault the server may try again. If both tries result in faults, a 'double fault' is called and the opponent wins the point."
    Thanks. That is very informative. Can you explain an outsider too what a service box exact is, or asked differently: where does the service box end?

ReputationRep:
    Federer should just retire...

Lol

GOAT :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    Thanks. That is very informative. Can you explain an outsider too what a service box exact is, or asked differently: where does the service box end?
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, the diagram below should make it easier to understand. As a server, you stand behind the baseline on either side of that groove line, and aim to serve into the opposing service box (the one on the other side to which you are standing on)

Name:  TennisCourtServiceBox.gif
Views: 50
Size:  87.4 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hi, sorry for the late reply, the diagram below should make it easier to understand. As a server, you stand behind the baseline on either side of that groove line, and aim to serve into the opposing service box (the one on the other side to which you are standing on)
    I see. In other words: the service box are the two rectangles above (or below) the base line. Whenever a serve is out of these rectangles, its a fault. Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    I see. In other words: the service box are the two rectangles above (or below) the base line. Whenever a serve is out of these rectangles, its a fault. Am I right?
    Yes, that is correct. Example: I stand to the left of that groove line behind the baseline, so I must serve into the right-hand side service box on my opponent's side of the court. A fault is when I fail to land it precisely in that box or on the lines surrounding the box

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes, that is correct. Example: I stand to the left of that groove line behind the baseline, so I must serve into the right-hand side service box on my opponent's side of the court. A fault is when I fail to land it precisely in that box or on the lines surrounding the box
    Good to know that I have understood this rule. And now I have a special question in terms of the tennis place. There are three different ones, if am I right, namely hard, lawn and clay. Which place is the best for beginners? or asked differently: which place the tennis players used as a rule to learn that sport?

ReputationRep:
    Good to know that I have understood this rule. And now I have a special question in terms of the tennis place. There are three different ones, if am I right, namely hard, lawn and clay. Which place is the best for beginners? or asked differently: which place the tennis players used as a rule to learn that sport?
    When I started I played on clay courts because those were the ones that were most easily available for me. Hard courts (whether they're outdoor or indoor) are the usual starting places for most players as they tend to provide even, reliable bounce and are not too fast or too slow. Clay courts are useful for intermediate players and some beginners as they teach point construction (because they're much slower and it's harder to smack the ball away for winners). Grass courts are nice too, but they are only really useful once you've become good at the basics and are ready to try out slices, volleying, extra topspin, lobs, half-volleys, etc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When I started I played on clay courts because those were the ones that were most easily available for me. Hard courts (whether they're outdoor or indoor) are the usual starting places for most players as they tend to provide even, reliable bounce and are not too fast or too slow. Clay courts are useful for intermediate players and some beginners as they teach point construction (because they're much slower and it's harder to smack the ball away for winners). Grass courts are nice too, but they are only really useful once you've become good at the basics and are ready to try out slices, volleying, extra topspin, lobs, half-volleys, etc
    That was very informative, thanks. But there is something which I would love to know. Is tennis really a sport for rich people or businessman or is this just a stereotype?

ReputationRep:
    It's just a stereotype. In fact, where I live nearly everyone who's very good at tennis is also very good at football. Must be to do with the footwork.

ReputationRep:
    That was very informative, thanks. But there is something which I would love to know. Is tennis really a sport for rich people or businessman or is this just a stereotype?
    PoisonSky is right, it's clearly a stereotype. The "rich" people can only get as far as their abilities take them. The moment you make it onto the Pro Tour, there's enough prize money these days even for first round losses to compensate for everything - all that's needed is hard work and a bit of talent
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PoisonSky is right, it's clearly a stereotype. The "rich" people can only get as far as their abilities take them. The moment you make it onto the Pro Tour, there's enough prize money these days even for first round losses to compensate for everything - all that's needed is hard work and a bit of talent
    Good to know. I have a personal question to you: Do you have any favorites in tennis? Its been a while that I have watched tennis. It was at a time where Becker and Graf have played. :rolleyes: But of course I know Federer, Djordjevic and Murray.

(Original post by PoisonSky)
    It's just a stereotype. In fact, where I live nearly everyone who's very good at tennis is also very good at football. (...)
    Everyone who have played football before and is playing tennis now said that to me. They said its an advantage to have played football before, just because tennis players have a better feel for ball then.

ReputationRep:
    Nice win Ferrer. Should be a nice final against Murray tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Good to know. I have a personal question to you: Do you have any favorites in tennis? Its been a while that I have watched tennis. It was at a time where Becker and Graf have played. :rolleyes: But of course I know Federer, Djordjevic and Murray.
    Cool, I got to see about half a decade of Steffi Graf, but Boris's matches were a bit before my time - no matter, there's clips of him on youtube
    My personal favourites, the guys I tend to love watching and root for, are of course Federer, Djokovic, Nishikori and Del Potro nowadays. I also like Murray and Tsonga. I don't dislike anyone. Not a big fan of Tomas Berdych though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cool, I got to see about half a decade of Steffi Graf, but Boris's matches were a bit before my time - no matter, there's clips of him on youtube
    My personal favourites, the guys I tend to love watching and root for, are of course Federer, Djokovic, Nishikori and Del Potro nowadays. I also like Murray and Tsonga. I don't dislike anyone. Not a big fan of Tomas Berdych though.
    I don't dislike anyone too, as I have no concrete favorites. I just watch Tennis when I want to, but tennis is hardly on air in Germany, just because it is not so popular like in Britain. It was just a short period of time where the broadcasting companies have aired tennis matches. Today its a fringe sport in German TV.

ReputationRep:
    God Eugenie Bouchard is ridiculously good looking. Utterly flawless. :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)
    God Eugenie Bouchard is ridiculously good looking. Utterly flawless. :coma:
    So is dimitrov *swoon *

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WriterOfWrongs)
    So is dimitrov *swoon *

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Saw her yesterday and bloody hell is she something else.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    anyone been watching the vienna tournament? the ballkids have been using some sort of tennis racket with a net rather than strings, to catch the balls...so strange

ReputationRep:
    Another choke from Ferrer in the finals against the big guys. From 5-3 up to losing 5-7 in the final set. :facepalm:

It hurts to be a fan of this guy.

Congratulations to Murray though. He should make it to WTF now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 27, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.