Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Diaby is fit or injured?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barneystin)
    lol what?!

whats this guy been smoking? Sanogo barely has enough technical skill to just walk.
    Sanogo does have a good technical ability, he delivers good balls and can pass. He wouldn't be at Arsenal if he didn't have good technique tbh

Does anyone know if Diaby is fit or injured?
    AW: "Diaby was not in the squad, he is just going out to practice, but is not injured."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)

AW: "Diaby was not in the squad, he is just going out to practice, but is not injured."
    Oh. I wonder if he's trying to protect him. If he is, it raises the question of why he should need protecting.

Going through twitter, too much joke.

'Flamini pointing to the defence and he's out of position himself. Normal'

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't make sense though. Sporting said they would not let him go for under his release clause of £37m.
    Tony Leen said there has been some progress in the valuation of Carvalho. They are willing to sell for £25-30M and want the payment up front but for some reason we want to make it in two installments. Sporting really need the money btw, which is why we are probably playing the waiting game.

ReputationRep:
    Today was amazing ! Were gonna win the treble before this seasons even started lmao. But yeah Campbell and Chambers are looking really promising. Yaya is reallly clumsy but his 4 goals shows how promising he'll be too. I cant believe how many people were doubting him after only a few games.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Where does he actually get his news from? Has he got links inside Arsenal?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He was @AFCAMDEN from a few years ago who most certainly had inside contact with someone from the club. He even had respectable journalists like Ornstein following him and would tweet sensitive information like the team news a day or two before, and he would be right. Once he left twitter (rumors that AFC threatened legal action, actually) Dean popped up, and it is most likely the same person.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Have you got a link to where he said that?
    Turned out to be a photoshop/fake. Its not on his twitter feed. Premature excitement, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    FOXSportsNews are reporting we're close to agreeing a fee for Carvalho, but why would Fox Sport have access to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    FOXSportsNews are reporting we're close to agreeing a fee for Carvalho, but why would Fox Sport have access to that.
    They recycled the story from Metro earlier. Nothing to get excited about.

ReputationRep:
    Did Alexis play today? How was he?

ReputationRep:
    Man, I really hope Joel Campbell gets games. Really like his quickness on the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Did Alexis play today? How was he?
    He looked great despite lacking in fitness would have gotten an assist with a pull back from the right but for the post. He made good incisive runs from the left and right flank

ReputationRep:
    If my memory serves me right, Adebayor was quite technically poor when he fist started with us, I remember hating watching him on the ball. But he improved his ball skills, I guess playing alongside the likes of Fabregas and Nasri etc can do that to you. He wasn't anything special, he couldn't dribble the ball and was clumsy at times but his movement and finishing were on point. Movement and finishing is probably all Sanogo will have to offer us - so he needs to polish those, I don't see him becoming technically sound, I imagine his link up play will improve under AW tho. I thought he looked very promising with a couple of his goals.

Loaning him is pointless, I doubt he'd get game time, just like our other loans.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway will say it now. Joel Campbell won't make it at Arsenal. Too many players fighting for a spot here. He has to essentially get a spot vs Podolski at the best, AOC, Sanchez and Walcott take up wing positions. Gnabry is also in the mix and Joel Campbell is at an age where he's not too young to just go out on loan and as a winger it's not so simple. Although he's lucky in the fact that Walcott is still injured so he could potentially play a way into the side until he comes back.

Also he's not english/british which goes against him wrt homegrown rule.

(Original post by SHOO)
    We now have Ramsey who sits deeper and offers a lot more creativity. So, with Ozil and Ramsey in the middle - we wont need the wingers to be creative. This wasn't the case when Gervinho played for us. Also, Gervinho plays pretty much the same for Roma and at times for Ivory Coast.. He enjoys cutting in a lot.

Though having said that, even if we play Cazorla on the left and Sanchez as a false 9, or if Sanchez does cut in (which he typically will), it wouldn't affect our counter attacks..

We missed pace last season, on every front - and now its been restored.

You're forgetting that Wenger enjoys his counter - attacking football, its just that in recent years, he hasn't really had the resources to play that game.
    Ronaldo cuts in. Di Maria cuts in. It's not about cutting in, it's about the pace at which you do it and whether your aim is to be direct or to just focus on playmaking and floating around the pitch. Cazorla. Gervinho was asked to create more and playmake under Wenger than he does at Roma. At Roma they play counter attacking football and Gervinho runs into space. That's where Gervinho is at his best. Arsenal do not play that football.

Cazorla on a wing will affect your counter attacks. He's not got the pace to run up and down the pitch and will slow down the play.

You had pace for long parts of last season and you only counter attacked in 3 games, vs Napoli and the games to Spurs. The second spurs match was probably because of how **** you were in possession rather than actually counter attacking but they offered nothing going forward either.

If Wenger enjoyed his counter attacking football he'd have built a side with counter attacking players, he would have got a DM other than Arteta and played faster football, you have not played counter attacking football consistently since 2007 and I doubt that it'll change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    Anyway will say it now. Joel Campbell won't make it at Arsenal. Too many players fighting for a spot here. He has to essentially get a spot vs Podolski at the best, AOC, Sanchez and Walcott take up wing positions. Gnabry is also in the mix and Joel Campbell is at an age where he's not too young to just go out on loan and as a winger it's not so simple. Although he's lucky in the fact that Walcott is still injured so he could potentially play a way into the side until he comes back.

Also he's not english/british which goes against him wrt homegrown rule.

Ronaldo cuts in. Di Maria cuts in. It's not about cutting in, it's about the pace at which you do it and whether your aim is to be direct or to just focus on playmaking and floating around the pitch. Cazorla. Gervinho was asked to create more and playmake under Wenger than he does at Roma. At Roma they play counter attacking football and Gervinho runs into space. That's where Gervinho is at his best. Arsenal do not play that football.

Cazorla on a wing will affect your counter attacks. He's not got the pace to run up and down the pitch and will slow down the play.

You had pace for long parts of last season and you only counter attacked in 3 games, vs Napoli and the games to Spurs. The second spurs match was probably because of how **** you were in possession rather than actually counter attacking but they offered nothing going forward either.

If Wenger enjoyed his counter attacking football he'd have built a side with counter attacking players, he would have got a DM other than Arteta and played faster football, you have not played counter attacking football consistently since 2007 and I doubt that it'll change.
    Really? Ox and Walcott were both out for the majority of the season. Ramsey was out from Jan - late April. We did not have any pace last season what so ever.

Well now he has. Ramsey plays faster football than Arteta. The one position he's confirmed he'll be further strengthening in is the CDM position. So - someone to compliment Ramsey. We're moving away from the Arteta - Flamini pivot because they offered no pace at all. That and their age

Both of the goals vs Napoli weren't really counter attacking goals - in the first giroud held up play in the final third before playing in Ramsey, who then assisted Ozil. The second goal was when Ozil picked up loose possession in the final third and played in Giroud for a tap in.

When I referred to "cutting in" I meant cutting in for play making and not the way Ronaldo, Di maria, Robben etc do it - typically to shoot. When we had wingers like that (i.e an in-prime Arshavin) we played proper counter attacking football, because Arshavin enjoyed cutting in to shoot.

Wouldn't you say the side Wenger has built now, for the 14-15 season has counter attacking players?

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick one gooners, do you like this TH14 poster that I've created? I have a few actually, you could send me a PM if you would be interested in getting one

Name:  1407056107387.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  49.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHOO)
    Really? Ox and Walcott were both out for the majority of the season. Ramsey was out from Jan - late April. We did not have any pace last season what so ever.
    So that's 3 months. What about the 6 months of football you did have at least one outlet?

Well now he has. Ramsey plays faster football than Arteta. The one position he's confirmed he'll be further strengthening in is the CDM position. So - someone to compliment Ramsey. We're moving away from the Arteta - Flamini pivot because they offered no pace at all. That and their age
    Lets see if he gets the DM then but even before hand you had a team capable of counter attacking (e.g. 11/12) you didn't use it.

Both of the goals vs Napoli weren't really counter attacking goals - in the first giroud held up play in the final third before playing in Ramsey, who then assisted Ozil. The second goal was when Ozil picked up loose possession in the final third and played in Giroud for a tap in.

When I referred to "cutting in" I meant cutting in for play making and not the way Ronaldo, Di maria, Robben etc do it - typically to shoot. When we had wingers like that (i.e an in-prime Arshavin) we played proper counter attacking football, because Arshavin enjoyed cutting in to shoot.
    Yeah fair enough. It was more a case of attacking football than possession football or counter attacking.

Yeah I know. But you did not play counter attacking football when Arshavin came, you were a possession team. You haven't been counter attacking team since 2006/07. I think there's a difference between saying your team is capable of counter attacking and that you'll be playing counter attacking football.

I disagree that you'll counter attack vs Manchester United with the players you have e.g. which was my point.
    Wouldn't you say the side Wenger has built now, for the 14-15 season has counter attacking players?
    The side Wenger build for 12/13 probably had counter attacking players, same for 11/12 but he decided to go for possession, what makes you think that he'll change?

He'll play faster football just due to the fact he has faster players, but he's not going to change it to a counter attacking style. I'm unsure as to how he'll play but I reckon you'll focus a bit more on creating chances when with the ball than just keeping it, however that's different to saying he'll play counter attacking football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam278)
    So that's 3 months. What about the 6 months of football you did have at least one outlet?

Walcott was out roughly from Oct - Jan.. and then after a game or two in Jan, he picked up his injury for the rest of the season (and even now he isn't back). The Ox picked up an injury vs Villa during the first game of the season, and came back in I think feb? And then, he was injured April onwards. So, I don't think there has been a time where we've had our pacey players available. We had Ramsey, from Aug - Jan, but you cant really play counter attacking football from the CDM position now can you?

Lets see if he gets the DM then but even before hand you had a team capable of counter attacking (e.g. 11/12) you didn't use it.

Yeah fair enough. It was more a case of attacking football than possession football or counter attacking.

Yeah I know. But you did not play counter attacking football when Arshavin came, you were a possession team. You haven't been counter attacking team since 2006/07. I think there's a difference between saying your team is capable of counter attacking and that you'll be playing counter attacking football.

Ok so, I don't think I clarified my point on attacking football, or maybe you just didn't understand it. I've been meaning to say.. I doubt we'll be an out and out counter attacking team like Madrid but I'm sure counter attacking will be a weapon we'll be able to use effectively. We have and will always play possession football under Wenger, but before 2007 we used to use a lot of counter attacks, typically to beat the bigger teams.. first that pops in to mind is the game vs Madrid in the CL (that Henry goal was via a counter attack). When this convo started, it started because I mentioned the counter attacks that the Sanchez -------- Walcott partnership will potentially bring in, not that we'll predominantly play counter attacking football. So in that sense, you'll see a lot Arsenal counter attacks than you have since 07 onwards.

I disagree that you'll counter attack vs Manchester United with the players you have e.g. which was my point.

The side Wenger build for 12/13 probably had counter attacking players, same for 11/12 but he decided to go for possession, what makes you think that he'll change?

I don't even think we need to play counter attacking football vs smaller sides.. we just attack until we score. Its with the bigger teams that we'll need the counters. So, with the squad we used for the bigger games last season, even if we sat back and defended.. we couldn't possibly counter because.. well we just couldn't. No pace what so ever. So we go attacking, and what happens? we get whooped by the bigger sides. I think now that we have Sanchez and Walcott back, we can sit back and counter vs bigger teams, so vs United, City, Chelsea etc, you'll see more counter attacks. It seems that way thus far anyway.

He'll play faster football just due to the fact he has faster players, but he's not going to change it to a counter attacking style. I'm unsure as to how he'll play but I reckon you'll focus a bit more on creating chances when with the ball than just keeping it, however that's different to saying he'll play counter attacking football.

We've been creating chances for about three seasons now and vs the smaller sides it works fine.. and itll continue to do so. Its the bigger games we need to address. Last season, we lost the league by 7 points (8 actually, our GD wasn't good enough). So, if we had won the games vs City, United and Chelsea at home.. the league could have been ours. Its the bigger games where we lack any fire power, and I think with the insertion of Sanchez and Walcott, and a new CDM to actually break attacks that the bigger teams bring.. we can finally start winning the bigger games.
    See the bolds

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    benfica were so poor lol, their wings got exposed constantly it was embarassing.

also @ JW as long as he improves seasonly idrc, he won't be in our strongest starting 11 until he ups his game though. definitely dont agree with make or break for him next season either tbh.

ReputationRep:
    usual paper rubbish saying we are in the race for hummels with united...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    usual paper rubbish saying we are in the race for hummels with united...
    lol never.

If that were to happen, Hummels would be replacing Mertesacker permanently in the starting XI and who knows whether Merte would actually bench warm. It would also disrupt the partnership Merte has with Koscielny which appeared to be quite strong at times last season.

Chambers will become a future replacement for one of Koscielny or Merte. I enjoyed watching him have a go yesterday it's always more exciting to see home grown players do well in the team

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 22, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.