Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ok thankyou all, i'm afraid another NC isn't an option as i won't get funded unless i pick a different route other than care, im not sure what i want to do at this point :-s is it still useful in showing future employers? can i say yes i have this higher or does it all go by the grade? :-s very confusing, i really thought i'd get higher as i got an A in the prelim :-( so disappointed with myself x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gingerbread101)
    I'm not actually waiting on results, I'm getting my GCSE results on the 21st
    Good luck for that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysqa)
    I have to confirm that the other answers here are correct.

does it make any difference that i'm a mature student if applying for HNC with a grade D higher?

ReputationRep:
    Two quick things- My friend was doing business this year. He got his results back yesterday and didnt get a grade for it on his certificate, he also didn't get an extra piece of paper saying he got a no award. Does anyone have any ideas what could've happened?

Has anyone got the dates of the scottish uni's open days or will I have to check all the websites? do most open days require you to book?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbiedear)
    does it make any difference that i'm a mature student if applying for HNC with a grade D higher?
    Kind of outside my area of expertise, I couldn't honestly be sure. What I would say is it can't do any harm giving it a go. Hope you get there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by debbiedear)
    I'm a wee bit unclear what you're asking? Are you looking to begin HNC course having been awarded a D grade? If so, your conditional offer would have been based on grade. Unfortunately you didn't achieve the required grade so would be unusual if they took you on that. Demand tends to far outstrip supply for places.

If you are wishing to begin via mature students route, few qualifications particularly necessary, you can only but ask your favoured institution. However, I would guess this would need to be from either a January start (which some courses offer) or beginning August 2015

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mysqa)
    Morning all, are we still basking in the rosy afterglow?

This is the point I ask everyone how they felt the exams and the results delivery were - anything they feel we at SQA could do better? Obviously there's the new exams this year too. All (constructive) criticism or comment is welcome.

Thanks
    SAM

Well, I'm pleased I got five As at higher but I wish that after each exam, candidates could find out the relative difficulty of the exam.
    After the revised physics exam I was in literal tears because I thought I had messed it up and physics was necessary for what I want to do.
    Of course it was then a pleasant surprise when I got an A however that was after several months of waiting. I was devastated and thought I'd let my teacher down.
    So if there was a space on the SQA website where we could see the relative difficulty of the exam that would be lovely

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AABBD In English modern studies German chemistry maths.
    I also did higher music early last year so overall I have AAABB as pass grades. Pretty happy with that maths was always going to be the one I did bad in

ReputationRep:
    Got a AAABC this year and it says the min requirements for a course im interested in is AABBB. What do yous think the chances are of being considered?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Con08)
    Got a AAABC this year and it says the min requirements for a course im interested in is AABBB. What do yous think the chances are of being considered?
    Probably a conditional on B or an unconditional since you got another A! Well done they're great results!! what subject and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeschichteJunge)
    Probably a conditional on B or an unconditional since you got another A! Well done they're great results!! what subject and where?

Posted from TSR Mobile

well to do law at glasgow it says 5 As as the entry requirement. Hope I would still get a conditional if thats the route I wish to take. Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Con08)
    Perhaps a conditional especially because of the extra A.
    Is there any work experience you could do to enhance your prospects? That will help incredibly- I'm currently working at my desired uni and met an admissions officer which is great, but these opportunities aren't advertised so ask around.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinDy)
    Perhaps a conditional especially because of the extra A.
    Is there any work experience you could do to enhance your prospects? That will help incredibly- I'm currently working at my desired uni and met an admissions officer which is great, but these opportunities aren't advertised so ask around.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is a good idea thanks I'm really shocked about the C, thought that was one of my better exams to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Con08)
    well to do law at glasgow it says 5 As as the entry requirement. Hope I would still get a conditional if thats the route I wish to take. Thanks very much
    Oh I'm applying there for Law too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaitlinDy)
    Well, I'm pleased I got five As at higher but I wish that after each exam, candidates could find out the relative difficulty of the exam.
    After the revised physics exam I was in literal tears because I thought I had messed it up and physics was necessary for what I want to do.
    Of course it was then a pleasant surprise when I got an A however that was after several months of waiting. I was devastated and thought I'd let my teacher down.
    So if there was a space on the SQA website where we could see the relative difficulty of the exam that would be lovely

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The theory is they are all devised to be of equal difficulty. That is then fine tuned by the grade boundaries, so that year on year a Higher (for example) will be of consistent value. So there isn't really a way we can illustrate the particular difficulty, thought the grade boundaries will give an indication.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to invade since I'm not a Scottish student but how does your system work. What is the GCSE, AS-Level and A-Level equivalents for you guys and what's the difference between Intermediate, Higher and all that?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    Sorry to invade since I'm not a Scottish student but how does your system work. What is the GCSE, AS-Level and A-Level equivalents for you guys and what's the difference between Intermediate, Higher and all that?
    Roughly,

GCSE = National 5/Intermediate 2 (being phased out)/Standard grade (now a thing of the past)

AS = Higher

A2 = Advanced Higher

It is worth noting that unlike the A level system, your Higher and Advanced Higher qualifications are completely separate from eachother.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys what are your views on doing the Scottish baccalaureate in science. Is it any good?
    I am will be doing all 3 sciences at AH plus a higher in either business or pe
    I am hoping to do medicine with AAAAB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yellowcopter)
    I moved from England to Scotland a few years ago so I've experienced sitting GCSE's, starting AS level and then sitting Intermediates and Highers aswell. Personally, I think GCSEs are equivalent to intermediate 1 and 2 in Scotland. So, for example, in England the foundation maths paper would be equivelent to int 1amd the higher maths paper would be equivelent to int 2. As for highers, I would actually say they're lightly harder than AS level but not as hard as A full A level. Then Advanced highers in Scotland I would say are slightly harder than A level, which is why most Scottish students leave with more highers than they would advanced highers. The only reason I would say highers are slightly easier than A level is because if you look at requirements o get onto uni courses, you'll usually find you need two A's and two B's at higher whereas you would only need three/four C's at A level, indicating that it's easier to achieve a higher grade in highers. Hope that helped
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by :D')
    Guys what are your views on doing the Scottish baccalaureate in science. Is it any good?
    I am will be doing all 3 sciences at AH plus a higher in either business or pe
    I am hoping to do medicine with AAAAB
    Basically you'll be doing an interdisciplinary project on top of your AHs. Keep in mind that you'll already be doing three science investigations so it will be a lot of work in s6. No university for medicine, as far as I'm aware, looks at ScotBacc.

So really it's up to you whether you WANT to do it or not. Don't choose to do it because you feel it will put you in a better position with UCAS.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.