The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Then that's on you for protecting your brother. If we don't know that it wasn't you, then you can't blame us for that...

I feel that death penalty is justified - that's your opinion that it's not...
Ok, the murderer breaks into my home, he says go confess to this, this and this or I'll kill your wife and kids...

I can't understand that!!! Killing people makes us no better then they are.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Ok, the murderer breaks into my home, he says go confess to this, this and this or I'll kill your wife and kids...

I wouldn't say that a signed confession is all it would need - if there's no evidence pointing to you that you did the murder then fine. And if you were framed, so that it all fitted perfectly, then I'd have to say you are the unluckiest guy in the world!

Well, I would happily kill someone who deserved it - I can live with that on my conscience...
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
x
(Original post by Aph)
x
While there are cases where it may not be clear cut I believe judges can use common sense and their expertise to decide between the death penalty and an alternative sentence. However, there are cases such as the one where the British soldier, Lee Rigby, was publicly knifed to death in London. The act was caught on video, the murders were boasting about it on video, charged at police officers with knives, and still proudly confessed in court. In cases like that I believe the death penalty is fully justified.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From my understanding, and so don't fully rely on this, but if it doesn't allow for OE, then you will still gain the M marks, but probably not the A mark.

I hope that helps to answer your question?
I see. Thanks - that is probably a couple of marks more I can award myself then
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

That's your idealism.

While i do want to look back on life and think i'm a good man, the most important thing is that i also want to get old and know that i've provided for me and mine. That entails supporting a state which has the resolve to eradicate threats and even personally do some things which may not be kind (to be successful often requires being ruthless).
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ByronicHero)
I see. Thanks - that is probably a couple of marks more I can award myself then
Awesome, and it's good to know someone who's actively taking an interest in learning maths - Maths is good fun!

(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
While there are cases where it may not be clear cut I believe judges can use common sense and their expertise to decide between the death penalty and an alternative sentence. However, there are cases such as the one where the British soldier, Lee Rigby, was publicly knifed to death in London. The act was caught on video, the murders were boasting about it on video, charged at police officers with knives, and still proudly confessed in court. In cases like that I believe the death penalty is fully justified.
(Original post by Rakas21)
That's your idealism.

While i do want to look back on life and think i'm a good man, the most important thing is that i also want to get old and know that i've provided for me and mine. That entails supporting a state which has the resolve to eradicate threats and even personally do some things which may not be kind (to be successful often requires being ruthless).
PRSOM Party!
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wouldn't say that a signed confession is all it would need - if there's no evidence pointing to you that you did the murder then fine. And if you were framed, so that it all fitted perfectly, then I'd have to say you are the unluckiest guy in the world!

Well, I would happily kill someone who deserved it - I can live with that on my conscience...
You just do, a few posts up. You said is we had a signed confession then they should be executed on the spot. And again, innocent people dying are just 'unlucky' thags horrific.

the point of law is that no one deserves to die. You are now claiming your point of view is perfect.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
You just do, a few posts up. You said is we had a signed confession then they should be executed on the spot. And again, innocent people dying are just 'unlucky' thags horrific.

the point of law is that no one deserves to die. You are now claiming your point of view is perfect.
Yeh, I said where there is no doubt - that can include a signed confession, but doesn't have to be exclusively that.

I've never said that my point of view is perfect... if it is the point that no one deserves to die, then fine - but death happens all around us. There are many things that can be done to reduce or stop a lot of death happening, but we make choices for the better of society which means sometimes, **** happens - this is life - get real.

Also, if no one wants to do the job of flicking the switch, then I'd be more than happy to do it for them... I personally feel that in this world, there are some cases where it's justified and right.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Awesome, and it's good to know someone who's actively taking an interest in learning maths - Maths is good fun!

PRSOM Party!
Thanks. I have The Princeton Companion to Mathematics and Mathematics, its Content, Methods and Meaning sat with the rest of books waiting to made use of. I bought them in a flurry of enthusiasm but vastly overestimated how well "much better than everyone else at maths until I stopped doing it in year 7" would translate to anything beyond that. Got to bite the bullet and start from the bottom. Weirdly, it feels positive re-learning the things I knew when I was 15 years younger rather than embarrassing as it probably should
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
so let them become myrters and just inspire a new wave of Islamic violence? Great plan:rolleyes:

That's your idealism.

and there's your problem, 'eradicate' as if they are vermin or to be looked down upon. We are all humans! No one person is superior to another, ever.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. I have The Princeton Companion to Mathematics and Mathematics, its Content, Methods and Meaning sat with the rest of books waiting to made use of. I bought them in a flurry of enthusiasm but vastly overestimated how well "much better than everyone else at maths until I stopped doing it in year 7" would translate to anything beyond that. Got to bite the bullet and start from the bottom. Weirdly, it feels positive re-learning the things I knew when I was 15 years younger rather than embarrassing as it probably should
Haha, it's because you're actually accomplishing it, rather than starting at a level too difficult and just failing at it all straight away...
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
so let them become myrters and just inspire a new wave of Islamic violence? Great plan:rolleyes:

and there's your problem, 'eradicate' as if they are vermin or to be looked down upon. We are all humans! No one person is superior to another, ever.
Of course i'm superior to a terrorist, so are you.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)

They are not seen as martyrs at all, and the death penalty would reduce Islamic violence because extremists happily go along with extremism until their life in endangered. It is only the hardcore extremists who become suicide bombers with the extremists who value their life trying to escape, only to be killed by other extremists. The extremists who value their lives stick to the acts that do not involve death like destroying museums and ancient cities.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeh, I said where there is no doubt - that can include a signed confession, but doesn't have to be exclusively that.

I've never said that my point of view is perfect... if it is the point that no one deserves to die, then fine - but death happens all around us. There are many things that can be done to reduce or stop a lot of death happening, but we make choices for the better of society which means sometimes, **** happens - this is life - get real.

Also, if no one wants to do the job of flicking the switch, then I'd be more than happy to do it for them... I personally feel that in this world, there are some cases where it's justified and right.
There can never be absolutely no doubt. Is doesn't work like that.

the point is that by killing a man for killing a man we are hypocrites. The only killing should be heat of the moment self defence (e.g. A burglar breaks into your house) or man slaughter, both of which, well the letter one at least still should be criminal but are unavoidable.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
There can never be absolutely no doubt. Is doesn't work like that.

the point is that by killing a man for killing a man we are hypocrites. The only killing should be heat of the moment self defence (e.g. A burglar breaks into your house) or man slaughter, both of which, well the letter one at least still should be criminal but are unavoidable.
I'm happy being a hypocrite if it ensures a murderer doesn't get out of prison and murder someone else - I think you'd be pretty pissed off if the government allowed a murderer out of prison after 15 years, and they went and killed one of your family... easy way to stop it happening - death penalty.

And as Rakas said, the judge can use common sense on whether or not death penalty should be passed in a prosecution.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Haha, it's because you're actually accomplishing it, rather than starting at a level too difficult and just failing at it all straight away...
Exactly. I think I literally just need to brush up on a few basic things to get me to where my knowledge is sufficient and then it will all be about remembering to write down the things my brain is doing. I can speed through special cases to get the answer to the equations but the mark scheme has reminded me that this is no good. Today: drawing triangles, tomorrow: algebraic topology. I'm certain this is the normal progression.

On another note, I despise the heat and - as such - a resplendent sun usually heralds the coming of an awful day. However, it is really rather glorious outside today. I wish I had some ales or the will to get dressed and go buy some
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Of course i'm superior to a terrorist, so are you.
No you aren't, you are not superior to anyone or anything. You need to feel that way to reassure yourself but the truth is you are no better, no one is better then another person.
They are not seen as martyrs at all, and the death penalty would reduce Islamic violence because extremists happily go along with extremism until their life in endangered. It is only the hardcore extremists who become suicide bombers with the extremists who value their life trying to escape, only to be killed by other extremists. The extremists who value their lives stick to the acts that do not involve death like destroying museums and ancient cities.
The death penalty doesn't act as a deterant at all, there is no evidence to say it does and if anything it makes people more likely to kill.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm happy being a hypocrite if it ensures a murderer doesn't get out of prison and murder someone else - I think you'd be pretty pissed off if the government allowed a murderer out of prison after 15 years, and they went and killed one of your family... easy way to stop it happening - death penalty.

And as Rakas said, the judge can use common sense on whether or not death penalty should be passed in a prosecution.
Better way to stop it, rehabilitate. That way they feel guilty all their life and still contribute to society.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
The death penalty doesn't act as a deterant at all, there is no evidence to say it does and if anything it makes people more likely to kill.
I direct you to the work by Naci Mocan proving the death penalty does deter crime.
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My question is, for those few of you who are of an age to know these things: when marking, if I have provided a full explanation of why I reached an answer (and it is correct) would I still be award the M points even where it does not allow for an "OE" response? My plan is to spend the coming week gently learning the bits and pieces I'm missing and then taking another set of tests next weekend, hopefully getting an A* and then moving on to the A level.
I think so. As they say, the exam mark scheme is mostly for marking incorrect answers. If it's correct, and certainly with a correct method, then it should be full marks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads