Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi has anyone had a interview for primary pgce at Sunderland University?.
    I have mine on Monday and was wondering if anyone has any advice or tips on what to research/ do to make sure i am as prepared as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsjohns)
    Hi, i've applied to cardiff met and have an interview on the 1st! Its a lot to prepare for the day!
    Hiya, how did you find the interview? Have you heard back from them yet?

ReputationRep:
    Brushing up on my knowledge of current educational issues for my interview on Monday, so far I've covered the removal of levels, the government's Prevent policy on radicalisation, the new curriculum.. anything major I've missed?

ReputationRep:
    YR 2 SATS at National Level.Pupils leaving primary school with low literacy level.Free schools.Rising numbers of EAL .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bena0202)
    Just firmed my offer at Kingston! Now to do my skills tests! Mine have been booked for Jan because I need to be extra extra extra confident!
    Hey! i have also recieved an offer frm Kingston, but im torn between there and greenwich

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mels1234)
    YR 2 SATS at National Level.Pupils leaving primary school with low literacy level.Free schools.Rising numbers of EAL .

thank you
    has anyone had to do a phonics test at interview? I've got one on Monday but I don't know what to expect. I teach the phase six phonics group at my school but if I were asked something specific e.g. to list phase 3 graphemes, I wouldn't have a clue... am I overthinking this?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bena0202)
    Just firmed my offer at Kingston! Now to do my skills tests! Mine have been booked for Jan because I need to be extra extra extra confident!
    Congrats!! I passed my literacy skills test yesterday and personally thought it wasn't that tricky (I have a reputation among my friends as being a grammar nerd which I suppose finally paid off)! Dreading the maths though as it's never been my forte and the countdown timer just puts me under pressure and makes it worse! Debating paying the £25 and signing up to 'Numeracy Ready'- how are you revising for yours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carolineherts)
    Congrats!! I passed my literacy skills test yesterday and personally thought it wasn't that tricky (I have a reputation among my friends as being a grammar nerd which I suppose finally paid off)! Dreading the maths though as it's never been my forte and the countdown timer just puts me under pressure and makes it worse! Debating paying the £25 and signing up to 'Numeracy Ready'- how are you revising for yours?
    I've bought numeracy ready! Done one test so far! But so far it's been worth it!

(Original post by Gerald1990)
    Hey! i have also recieved an offer frm Kingston, but im torn between there and greenwich
    What subject are you studying?

ReputationRep:
    I had a reply of numeracy ready - no on screen text version for the mental arithmetic side so that's a no go for me!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I passed my numeracy yesterday and it was ok actually. I had been getting 50% on the sample tests. My advice is to do a practice test yourself, then go through your answers alongside the G&A Analytical video, so you can see where you went wrong. Then, do the test again. I found it really helped. You do get used to doing it quickly, and I think the actual test is easier. Understanding charts seemed one of the most important part of it.

Doing the test with me yesterday was a chap who had had offers from UCL and Goldsmiths. He said there was a literacy and maths test there too. Oh joy. And the phonics test of course. As far as I can find out it is a phonemes test, so you count the number of sounds. I have never worked in a school, so have no clue about phonics, apart from what my daughter learnt.

As for the topic for discussion, as you work in a school already, you will know what is affecting the teachers you work with. It's got to be better to talk about something you know about. You'll be fine. Are you there in the morning or afternoon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SE_47)
    I passed my numeracy yesterday and it was ok actually. I had been getting 50% on the sample tests. My advice is to do a practice test yourself, then go through your answers alongside the G&A Analytical video, so you can see where you went wrong. Then, do the test again. I found it really helped. You do get used to doing it quickly, and I think the actual test is easier. Understanding charts seemed one of the most important part of it.

Doing the test with me yesterday was a chap who had had offers from UCL and Goldsmiths. He said there was a literacy and maths test there too. Oh joy. And the phonics test of course. As far as I can find out it is a phonemes test, so you count the number of sounds. I have never worked in a school, so have no clue about phonics, apart from what my daughter learnt.

As for the topic for discussion, as you work in a school already, you will know what is affecting the teachers you work with. It's got to be better to talk about something you know about. You'll be fine. Are you there in the morning or afternoon?
    Thank you- i'll do that. Going to focus on my numeracy after Monday. Thanks for the phonics tip- if it is counting phonemes I'll be fine! I'm there in the morning, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you- i'll do that. Going to focus on my numeracy after Monday. Thanks for the phonics tip- if it is counting phonemes I'll be fine! I'm there in the morning, how about you?
    Me too! <gulp> I wonder how many places are left. Will we have to compete for places using unarmed combat...

ReputationRep:
    I would not go into teaching if I were you. I am teaching at the moment and I have just done 90 X 14 hour days in a row. 90 days of 14 hours a day work. The pressure and stress is through the roof and the students couldn't care less about learning. Do anything else but teaching. Go pick apples or work in pub, go crew on a boat have a life. Stay away from teaching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SE_47)

Well done! I passed mine yesterday too. I have to say I found it very stressful. I'd been doing the practice tests and getting 67% average, although the last one I did Friday night I got 60%! So maybe I went into it nervous. I found the questions tough, but perhaps because of those nerves. I thought the statistics stuff was difficult because they were kinda different to the practice stuff, and even a couple of charts I'd never seen before so that threw me.

But the letter said pass!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martyncooper)

But the letter said pass!!
    That's all we care about! Well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SE_47)
    Me too! <gulp> I wonder how many places are left. Will we have to compete for places using unarmed combat...
    It might come to that! Don't even want to think about how many places are left..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrimeRefNumber)
    I would not go into teaching if I were you. I am teaching at the moment and I have just done 90 X 14 hour days in a row. 90 days of 14 hours a day work. The pressure and stress is through the roof and the students couldn't care less about learning. Do anything else but teaching. Go pick apples or work in pub, go crew on a boat have a life. Stay away from teaching.
    Thanks for the honest advice but my decision to go into teaching is a very informed one, so I acknowledge that I am crazy for wanting to do it. I work as a TA in a Year 2 class so I see first-hand everything that the teachers do - three of our teachers were NQTs last year and I saw each of them break down at some point! There have been a few occasions where I've felt like it too and I'm only a TA. But I will let you know if I agree with you this time next year?! (and that's if I even get in..)!

ReputationRep:
    Firmed Sussex in the end! Really happy with my decision, I wasn't sure about it when I applied but visiting the uni changed my mind. Plus I never heard back from my School Direct place.

Passed my literacy skills test as well, though the guy overseeing me in the test centre said it was the fastest he'd ever seen anyone do it! Numeracy is in Jan so I'd better get revising.

ReputationRep:
    It might come to that! Don't even want to think about how many places are left..!
    As you have so much school experience, why didn't you go for Schools DIrect Salaried route?

I'm sure Goldsmiths'll offer you a place, I just hope they offer me one too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldfishgirl)
    Firmed Sussex in the end! Really happy with my decision, I wasn't sure about it when I applied but visiting the uni changed my mind. Plus I never heard back from my School Direct place.

Passed my literacy skills test as well, though the guy overseeing me in the test centre said it was the fastest he'd ever seen anyone do it! Numeracy is in Jan so I'd better get revising.
    Glad you're happy about it! I had my interview there last week and found the people interviewing me lovely so I'm sure you'll love it.

It's strange that the school direct never got back to you, where abouts was it?

Well done on your skill test and good luck for the next one! You're nearly there now!

I've got my interview at Kings next week. Dreading it tbh but I already know 2 of the people who will be there.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.