x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    Just did it.

VR:720
    QR:820
    AR:900
    Band 1

VR: About as hard as official mock C, nothing as bad as everyone is saying, got about 3 T/F/CT
    QRasier than anything I'd done in practice but the wording of a couple questions was weird.
    AR: Really easy but did get quite a lot of the type 2,3,4 questions which I didn't practice enough!
    Wow you did really well!! How did it compare to the medify mocks? And was QR one table/simple calculations then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blues123)
    Just did official mock A and got
    VR:28/44
    QR:9/36
    AR:38/55

I didn't understand most if any of the QR questions and ended up having to guess the majority. Can anyone offer me advice.
    Thanks
    Don't get discouraged. My best advice would be to buy a subscription at medify.co.uk which simulates the style of the exam and offers you loads of questions from every section to practise, timed or untimed. It's a life-saver! Most importantly, practise is key in the UKCAT in my opinion. In time, you will definitely get better. Plus, these mocks are said to be way harder than the real thing.

As for the QR, you could work through the quantitative practice questions in the official site and look at the explanation. Then try the untimed version of the mock for maths.

Good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Just did it.

Band 1

VR: About as hard as official mock C, nothing as bad as everyone is saying, got about 3 T/F/CT
    QRasier than anything I'd done in practice but the wording of a couple questions was weird.
    AR: Really easy but did get quite a lot of the type 2,3,4 questions which I didn't practice enough!
    TIPS please (: (for all sections) - really struggling atm.

ReputationRep:
    Just did it.

Band 1

What did you use to prepare?

ReputationRep:
    Just did it.

Band 1

Congratulations on your result

May I ask what VR strategy you implemented? and also in the QR section did you flag any hard questions to save time, if yes did that help you to capitalise on your high QR score?

Apologies for these peculiar questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalia.medicine)
    Wow, congratulations!!! This is awesome! So the QR wasn't as hard as the official mocks?
    Haha I was lucky I think. And don't worry, it is easier. Mock C I did yesterday and got 720 and today I got 820 if that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella1999)
    Wow you did really well!! How did it compare to the medify mocks? And was QR one table/simple calculations then?
    Thanks. Much much much easier than medify mocks and yeah all the calculations and tables was simple just a couple of sets where I couldn't understand what they were asking for but yeah no long calculations so don't worry at all!

ReputationRep:
    I got 530 and band 2 is this ok???
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    TIPS please (: (for all sections) - really struggling atm.
    VR:
    Read all statements and literally think which answer makes the most sense, some of the possible answer choices are just stupid really so you can eliminate them easily and pick out the keywords and scan.

AR: Just practice really, the more I practiced the easier it got - was a nightmare at the start. The patterns in the exam were really simple so don't look for complicated patterns.

QR: Best tip I could give is if you don't get it straight away, move on. I didn't do that and I should have. Obviously general tips like put number lock on etc.

Main thing is stay calm really and you'll all do well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jitesh)
    What did you use to prepare?
    For the first couple weeks I used ISC and Kaplan book then the last two weeks medify and a bit of emedica, don't get emedica though it's awful(to me). I can explain why if you want me to.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Azadi)
    I got 530 and band 2 is this ok???
    Sadly this is very much below average (sorry if this is harsh). The average is usually somewhere around 620-630. With a score of 530 you really will struggle to get an interview any medical which heavily uses the ukcat. If you have very strong academics (mostly A*s, especially in the core subjects) then you could apply to some schools which dont use the UKCAT to much.

I personally would take the BMAT if I were you to give yourself a good chance because your UKCAT is well below what most med schools have as a cut off score (cut offs are usually above 650).

Sorry about being the bearer of bad news.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saran23)
    Congratulations on your result

May I ask what VR strategy you implemented? and also in the QR section did you flag any hard questions to save time, if yes did that help you to capitalise on your high QR score?

Apologies for these peculiar questions
    Mentioned VR strategy in an earlier post, yeah I did flag but I still wasted too much time although I did manage to fix some of the flagged ones at the end but not all of them due to me not confidently moving on on the questions I didn't understand the wording of, was really surprised when I got my score was expecting around 750 since it was easier than mock C but I didn't expect 800+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazmin123)
    don't know what to make of this 660 band 3 ??
    660 is absolutely fine, you'll probably be just above average which opens up nearly all uni doors for you to apply to this year!

ReputationRep:
    VR:
    Read all statements and literally think which answer makes the most sense, some of the possible answer choices are just stupid really so you can eliminate them easily and pick out the keywords and scan.

AR: Just practice really, the more I practiced the easier it got - was a nightmare at the start. The patterns in the exam were really simple so don't look for complicated patterns.

QR: Best tip I could give is if you don't get it straight away, move on. I didn't do that and I should have. Obviously general tips like put number lock on etc.

Main thing is stay calm really and you'll all do well.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    660 is absolutely fine, you'll probably be just above average which opens up nearly all uni doors for you to apply to this year!
    Ah thanks so much I was getting really worried because i didnt really want to do the BMAT. What do you reckon the national average will be this year, it seems as though most people are getting high scores no? or is that just bias from TSR lol

ReputationRep:
    Ah thanks so much I was getting really worried because i didnt really want to do the BMAT. What do you reckon the national average will be this year, it seems as though most people are getting high scores no? or is that just bias from TSR lol
    Mate this is TSR, this place is full of people who work hard, a lot of people don't even do any practice for UKCAT. I don't think it'll be higher than last year because even people on this website are generally getting low scores in VR which I think might bring it down but I know as much as you do! We'll find out at the start of October I think when the percentiles come out so you'll sitll have plenty of time before you have to submit your application. Haha I was worried and I thought I'd have to sit the BMAT too so don't worry I'm sure you'll do great just stay calm in the exam.

EDIT: Ignore this I got confused and thought you were quoting me woops!

ReputationRep:
    How long before your test is a good time to start doing mocks?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, don't worry, when I took mine I was swayed by the people on TSR too but do bear in mind people on here tend to do better than others, also, if someone got a lower mark they wouldn't exactly be jumping up and down to tell the world. I'm not sure about this year but last year the average was 630-ish (with DA) I would assume it's around about the same this year. I don't think it would be any higher than 650 though. Don't worry too much about it at the moment, you've got a great result, now research into uni's and see which ones you'd like to apply to (as they all use the UKCAT differently.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayleeyy)
    How long before your test is a good time to start doing mocks?
    I would say two weeks, or at least, whenever you feel like you've covered all the content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    Nah, don't worry, when I took mine I was swayed by the people on TSR too but do bear in mind people on here tend to do better than others, also, if someone got a lower mark they wouldn't exactly be jumping up and down to tell the world. I'm not sure about this year but last year the average was 630-ish (with DA) I would assume it's around about the same this year. I don't think it would be any higher than 650 though. Don't worry too much about it at the moment, you've got a great result, now research into uni's and see which ones you'd like to apply to (as they all use the UKCAT differently.)

yeah i completely agree. Well thank you so much i feel much better and confident now! can i ask what you got in yours?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.