Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal 1)
    Re-read what I wrote, but pay particular attention to the fact that saturated fats(which are bad) and saturated fatty acids are different.
    oh okay i see. what did you put for the stitches question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal 1)
    For the first question it was the THIRD fatty acid. The question asked which is 'most LIKELY' to cause heart disease. The third fatty acid is most LIKELY to have at least one trans bond, and therefore most likely to be a trans fatty acid. It is TRANS FATTY ACIDS that act like SATURATED FATS. Key point to note here is there is a difference between TRANS FATS and TRANS FATTY ACIDS.
    Finally. Was going to say but so many went for 1 didn't want a barrage.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  396.0 KBDid anyone get this for the impurity formed?

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Screen Shot 2016-06-14 at 19.18.27.png
Views: 184
Size:  30.1 KB

Previous mark scheme for the 2-aminopropanol question.
    Presumably this means that if I put 'ethanolic ammonia and reflux', I'll still get the mark?

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the dissolvable stitches: C=O absorbs infrared radiation which causes it to be broken down into CO2 and H2O as its biodegradable.

I'm not sure of the marking points but the C=O absorbing IR radiation is mentioned on the spec.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President J)
    Well nobody has thus far proven this logic wrong. People are confusing saturated fats (which are indeed bad) with saturated fatty acids (when the textbook clearly says trans fats are bad, not saturated fats!)

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial markscheme link please???

ReputationRep:
    He is wrong. I even confirmed it with head of Biology at my School just too be sure. The saturated fatty acid will form a SATURATED FAT. There is NO WAY OF KNOWING the UNSATURATED FATTY ACID forms a TRANS FAT. The only answer that is 100% is the SATURATED FATTY ACID forming a SATURATED FAT which IS BAD.

ReputationRep:
    is there an unofficial markscheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal 1)
    Well nobody has thus far proven this logic wrong. People are confusing saturated fats (which are indeed bad) with saturated fatty acids (when the textbook clearly says trans fats are bad, not saturated fats!)
    No one is confusing SATURATED fatty acids with SATURATED fats. Saturated fatty acids will form Saturated fats. Plus, everyone knows that Trans Fats and Saturated fats both increase LDL Levels which is what causes the increased risk of CHD. It is in the book and our teacher went over it so many times...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal 1)
    Well it's dilute acid, so the salt would dissociate anyways from NH3+Cl- to NH3+, so either will be accepted, even if NH3+ is in the 'allow' section
    What question is this? I'm so confused where the CL- comes from... I've seen a few people mention it that's why I'm wondering.

ReputationRep:
    What would happen if you got the correct structures for the FGHI but you might've put 2 in the wrong boxes like swapped F and G around

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Ahmad)
    Regarding the dissolvable stitches: C=O absorbs infrared radiation which causes it to be broken down into CO2 and H2O as its biodegradable.

I'm not sure of the marking points but the C=O absorbing IR radiation is mentioned on the spec.
    Sorry to disagree, but I am pretty sure they are hydrolysed, not photo degraded. If they photo degraded, they would PRODUCE water, not dissolve in it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal 1)
    would be funny if you got the question wrong and everyone else got it right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S.Ahmad)
    What question is this? I'm so confused where the CL- comes from... I've seen a few people mention it that's why I'm wondering.
    It's the question where they added dilute HCl to a diamide (I think). People were discussing whether the NH would turn to NH2, NH3 or NH3+ or NH3+Cl-. I think the later 2 will be accepted.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a link to/know of an unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timon512)
    He is wrong. I even confirmed it with head of Biology at my School just too be sure. The saturated fatty acid will form a SATURATED FAT. There is NO WAY OF KNOWING the UNSATURATED FATTY ACID forms a TRANS FAT. The only answer that is 100% is the SATURATED FATTY ACID forming a SATURATED FAT which IS BAD.
    Dude, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 24u5owehjr34uoer)
    this paper was essentially a communist paper, you didnt have to revise much to get the questions.

I wish they'd ask how to hydrolyse the most ugliest amides and how to react F-block elements with arenes and the most unknown application mechanisms (something bizarre like that to catch off students) or using an NMR spectrum to deduce a compound that then reacts with other compounds to give products in like the next 3 questions. NOW that would make this paper worth doing and feeling proud of all that hard work you put on understanding the mechanisms in chem to apply your knowledge to unknown situations.

this would deffo drop the grade boundaries to a 46 for an A again
    this paper try to cover every small bits that have not come up in exams a lot, like triglyceride, chromatography, and degradability of polymers. how is that " you don't have to revise much to get the questions" . on the other hand, last year's paper is the one when you don't have to revise at all. it asks about depth questions about the reaction/ mechanism /nmr .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danthebox)
    would be funny if you got the question wrong and everyone else got it right
    Maybe I am, just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    Dude, calm down.
    Sorry. His logic is just so flawed.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.