Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I genuinely don't know and wouldn't want to comment on something I know nothing about, sorry.

I believe so, yes.
    Okay, thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Any idea how many marks would be lost for Q8 if you just assume g(x) = whatever they gave and showed it fitted the relation given?

ReputationRep:
    Is there by any chance an official Cambridge maths offer holders' thread?

(Original post by Blackmagic123)
    Is there by any chance an official Cambridge maths offer holders' thread?
    No

ReputationRep:
    Heh? Talk about underestimating.

17 + 17 + 10 + 15 + 4 + 5 = pretty good 1.

Huh, are parts (i) and (iii) of Q1 really that valuable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Huh, are parts (i) and (iii) of Q1 really that valuable?
    No, but like you said, you got tantalisingly close to finishing off part (ii) and picked up virtually all the method marks bar two or three. Even if not, you've got a 6-ish mark buffer before your chances of a 1 go that low. I think you're pretty much into Camb at this point.

ReputationRep:
    Loool imagine my results are like 2,3,2... Makes absolutely no sense.

Anyway off to study for my 2 hardest a level exams... congrats to everyone for surviving STEP, hopefully will see a ton of you at Cambridge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewdjones)
    Any idea how many marks would be lost for Q8 if you just assume g(x) = whatever they gave and showed it fitted the relation given?
    I think it possibly depends on if you did the next part with h(x) or not. If you did it, it suggests that you could have done the part with g(x) properly if you'd known you had to, so they might be more generous than with people like me who had no idea how to do it properly.

ReputationRep:
    No, but like you said, you got tantalisingly close to finishing off part (ii) and picked up virtually all the method marks bar two or three. Even if not, you've got a 6-ish mark buffer before your chances of a 1 go that low. I think you're pretty much into Camb at this point.
    Hopefully :-) How'd you find III?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 16Characters....)
    Hopefully :-) How'd you find III?
    Thought it was broadly okay-ish. Better than II anyhow. I'm fairly sure I've got 1, 2, 1 at this stage. Makes for a pretty *****y summer where I can only hope that the summer pool has mercy on me. But oh well, c'est la vie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    I think it possibly depends on if you did the next part with h(x) or not. If you did it, it suggests that you could have done the part with g(x) properly if you'd known you had to, so they might be more generous than with people like me who had no idea how to do it properly.
    What you have said seems fair. How many marks do you think that part was ?

ReputationRep:
    Thought it was broadly okay-ish. Better than II anyhow. I'm fairly sure I've got 1, 2, 1 at this stage. Makes for a pretty *****y summer where I can only hope that the summer pool has mercy on me. But oh well, c'est la vie.
    Best of luck. Even if you do "only" get 121 I am sure they will work out from your scripts that you are a "keeper".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chimaera)
    Could someone please help me predict? :x
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Q1: Did parts i) and ii). My working was quite messy though, scrawls everywhere. Started part iii), then just kinda gave up halfway and jumped to the result. I showed it was true for n=1, and wrote the induction conclusion.

Q2: I'm not sure how far I got on this one. Got part i), then I assume I got halfway through ii), got equation for QR and OP and tried to substitute, but didn't get the specific point.

Q8: Got i), and ii), after much head ache. I verified the solution at first for ii), but then managed to show it. Couldnt do iii).

Thank you!!
    Sounds like a 3 tbh. Did you not start any other questions?

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone mind giving me a rough estimate
    1- Did i) and iii). Made a good stab at ii) at simplifying but didn't reach a point where I could use by parts to get the result
    2- Got everything right I think. Iffy with T though because the y coordinate contained a term with p in...so how is it independent of p?
    3- I did it all but I felt like I was no where near general enough. I think I reasoned Q(x) has a factor of (x+1) wrong by just saying Q(x)^2 must be (x+1)^2 therefore its +-(x+1). Then using the fact that Q(x)=x+1 to get a degree 3 numerator I reasoned P must be degree 2. Found P(x) no problem. Similar story with ii) argued that Q(x) must be +-(x+1) therefore argued P(X) must be a constant and then got a contradiction
    7- Justified the very first part correctly and thats it
    8- Did all of it. But I assumed g(x)=2x/(x^2+1).
    9- got the Extension and the Tension in RX correctly. Made a stab at getting the equation of motion and getting the other two tensions (said T QX =T RX). Algebra looked too daunting to do F=ma so I just wrote what I would do and what omega would turn out to be .

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    What you have said seems fair. How many marks do you think that part was ?
    Not really sure, but I imagine quite a lot. Maybe 5-8?

ReputationRep:
    1- Did i) and iii). Made a good stab at ii) at simplifying but didn't reach a point where I could use by parts to get the result
    2- Got everything right I think. Iffy with T though because the y coordinate contained a term with a in...so how is it independent of p?
    3- I did it all but I felt like I was no where near general enough. I think I reasoned Q(x) has a factor of (x+1) wrong by just saying Q(x)^2 must be (x+1)^2 therefore its +-(x+1). Then using the fact that Q(x)=x+1 to get a degree 3 numerator I reasoned P must be degree 2. Found P(x) no problem. Similar story with ii) argued that Q(x) must be +-(x+1) therefore argued P(X) must be a constant and then got a contradiction
    9- got the Extension and the sexual tension in RX correctly. Made a stab at getting the equation of motion and getting the other two tensions (said T QX =T RX). Algebra looked too daunting to do F=ma so I just wrote what I would do and what omega would turn out to be .

Any ideas?
    For 2, I think that's right because a is just a constant, and so is independent of p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    For 2, I think that's right because a is just a constant, and so is independent of p.
    sorry i meant p not a in the y coordinate

ReputationRep:
    2- Got everything right I think. Iffy with T though because the y coordinate contained a term with a in...so how is it independent of p?
    9- got the Extension and the Tension in RX correctly. Made a stab at getting the equation of motion and getting the other two tensions (said T QX =T RX). Algebra looked too daunting to do F=ma so I just wrote what I would do and what omega would turn out to be .

Any ideas?
    15 + 18 + 12 + 3 + 12 + Q9 = 60 + Q9 = fairly confident this is a 1.

ReputationRep:
    15 + 18 + 12 + 3 + 12 + Q9 = 60 + Q9 = fairly confident this is a 1.
    Thank you very much. Do you really think the g(x) thing was 8 marks? (I noted you said you made a similar mistake in assuming you could just show it satisfied)

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much. Do you really think the g(x) thing was 8 marks? (I noted you said you made a similar mistake in assuming you could just show it satisfied)
    Probably a bit less than 8 marks, I think, but I'm being harsh.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.