Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ignppw)
    Thank you SO much for mentioning Dunlem Mills! I'm coming from overseas so I'll have to buy all my kitchen/bedding/storage stuff when I get there and was stressing about all the money I would have to spend up front (I also have a problem spending money even when I know it's for necessary things). So knowing of some other places in Norwich to buy the stuff I'll need apart from Tesco which have potentially cheaper prices puts my mind at ease a bit.
    Some other cheap shops are ASDA(supermarket), Wilkinsons(discount household/a bit of everything), IKEA... speaking of IKEA is there one in Norwich?
    Argos(think of it as amazon printed into a catalogue), Matalan(clothing/homewear)...TK Maxx (offprice shop that sells pretty much anything) can be hit or miss but my mum has gotten kitchen things in there and they've lasted.
    Hell I even guess Primark(clothing/bit of homewear) will do for bedding stuff.
    Clas Ohlson is a bit like IKEA...and roughly the same price *i think* I remember having a sudden urge to buy 400 crazy straws because the box was £1 lol

Really random (and slightly gross) question but do we need to get a toilet brush if we have an ensuite? My mum asked earlier, it hadn't even crossed my mind lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    :awesome: I'll look forward to it!

Yeah, I was thinking of lying in between the folded bits and turning the duvet into a cocoon haha! So glad I'm not the only one!

I didn't even know there was a Dunlem Mills in Norwich, I only just checked! I was thinking about buying it online. I wouldn't get sheets from there though, they're a bit expensive but for plates and bowls and stuff, it seems pretty good!

I know this wasn't addressed to me but this is all really good to know! I'm going to take the bare minimum (which will probably fill up a car!) and then buy whatever else I need! :teehee:
    i got purple plates & bowls & mugs from dunelm mill, though they were a bit more expensive than 99p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makingamemory)
    Some other cheap shops are ASDA(supermarket), Wilkinsons(discount household/a bit of everything), IKEA... speaking of IKEA is there one in Norwich?
    Argos(think of it as amazon printed into a catalogue), Matalan(clothing/homewear)...TK Maxx (offprice shop that sells pretty much anything) can be hit or miss but my mum has gotten kitchen things in there and they've lasted.
    Clas Ohlson is a bit like IKEA...and roughly the same price *i think* I remember having a sudden urge to buy 400 crazy straws because the box was £1 lol

Really random (and slightly gross) question but do we need to get a toilet brush if we have an ensuite? My mum asked earlier, it hadn't even crossed my mind lol
    There's no IKEA in Norwich sadly, it's one of the very very few shops it's lacking. The closest is probably Nottingham? Or maybe MK?

They do have a Clas Ohlson though, it's in the Chapelfields shopping centre.

And no, toilet brush is provided, I guess the cleaners would be in a bit of a pickle if trying to make sure everyone bought one!

xxx

ReputationRep:

I asked that too! No, apparently we already have toliet brushes in the ensuite. I feel a little uneasy about that though, I hope they replace them every year!
    I've never heard of Clas Ohlson!
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    i got purple plates & bowls & mugs from dunelm mill, though they were a bit more expensive than 99p
    :awesome: What is it with everyone and purple?

ReputationRep:
    I asked that too! No, apparently we already have toliet brushes in the ensuite. I feel a little uneasy about that though, I hope they replace them every year!

i dunno, its my mums fav colour but in my case i picked them up cos they were the only colourful matching set dunelm had, and this way i'll recognise them as my own.

ReputationRep:

I know what you mean, a used toilet brush :yucky: Then again if they are you could just buy one when you're there.

I think they've only opened in the UK recently because the one in Kingston replaced Woolies when it shut down.

I've never heard of Dunlem Mills and now I wish there was one closer cause including delivery (will be too much bother to pick it up when going to Norwich) it'll be more expensive than IKEA/ASDA.

All this planning and I don't have a room yet! *pretends to be patient haha*

(Original post by kpwxx)
    There's no IKEA in Norwich sadly, it's one of the very very few shops it's lacking. The closest is probably Nottingham? Or maybe MK?

They do have a Clas Ohlson though, it's in the Chapelfields shopping centre.

And no, toilet brush is provided, I guess the cleaners would be in a bit of a pickle if trying to make sure everyone bought one!

xxx
    Ahhh looks like I have to get the tram to Croydon. They're gonna love me on there with those huge IKEA sacks especially if its rush hour lol
    Hadn't thought of that, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean, a used toilet brush :yucky: Then again if they are you could just buy one when you're there.

I think they've only opened in the UK recently because the one in Kingston replaced Woolies when it shut down.

I've never heard of Dunlem Mills and now I wish there was one closer cause including delivery (will be too much bother to pick it up when going to Norwich) it'll be more expensive than IKEA/ASDA.

Ahhh looks like I have to get the tram to Croydon. They're gonna love me on there with those huge IKEA sacks especially if its rush hour lol
    haha yeah they will ^^ I remember my pre-uni ikea trip, spending a very long time at the 'packing station' thing to try and wrap all my matching plates up so they didn't break! A hint for you; if you buy the fold up ikea wash basket keep on top of washing... it doesn't take too kindly to being carried across the village while 3/4 full of clothes + a set of bedding. Nor does it like being repeatedly kicked by clumsy housemates. Just so you know.

I've switched to a solid type basket thingy from lidl for next year ><

xxx

ReputationRep:
    How big are the rooms? What is it like in terms of space? Will I need to bring extra storage boxes etc?

Also, does anybody know what the kitchen stocks and what I'll need to buy?

Thanks in advance :-)

ReputationRep:
    Noooooooo! :sad: That's my super ninja plan to keep warm ruined! :laugh:

Yeah, you enjoy your double bed! *pouts*
    Me and my flatmate had double duvets on our beds. I spent most of winter in my bed because that was the warmest place in the room! Dont be persuaded to change plans, the duvet stays on great!

ReputationRep:

I've decided I'm not buying anything until next week. I'll get my dad to drive me to ikea and do one big shop!
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    haha yeah they will ^^ I remember my pre-uni ikea trip, spending a very long time at the 'packing station' thing to try and wrap all my matching plates up so they didn't break! A hint for you; if you buy the fold up ikea wash basket keep on top of washing... it doesn't take too kindly to being carried across the village while 3/4 full of clothes + a set of bedding. Nor does it like being repeatedly kicked by clumsy housemates. Just so you know.

I've switched to a solid type basket thingy from lidl for next year ><

xxx
    Noted.
    (Original post by lauraslw)
    Me and my flatmate had double duvets on our beds. I spent most of winter in my bed because that was the warmest place in the room! Dont be persuaded to change plans, the duvet stays on great!
    Yay! Which accommodation were you in?

ReputationRep:
    The rooms in Victory House are the same size/shape/layout as those in Britten, Paston, Colman, Browne and Kett. They are fairly newly decorated and furnished. There's a wardrobe, a chest of drawers (three drawers) and a shelf above the wardrobe, plus above desk shelving. It's a fairly standard size, so you'll have space for underbed boxes (I could fit three regular sized ones plus a suitcase under my bed in Britten House) if you need them. I found the storage provided wasn't quite enough to fit all my clothes, but depending on how much stuff you have, you might not need as many boxes - you can always send them back with your parents.

In the kitchen, you'll get a shelf of a fridge, half a drawer of a freezer and as much cupboard space as you can claim when you move in. You may have to keep some of your kitchen stuff in your room, depending on how much has been taken up by your flatmates. You will have to supply all your cookware, and whilst there was a pots and pans sale in fresher's week last year, it's not too expensive to buy your own basic set of pans, plate/bowl and knives and forks. You won't need a kettle as there is a boiling water dispenser in the kitchen (which is really useful in dire tea emergencies) or a toaster as one in provided. Anything else you think you might need you should bring, bearing in mind you may have limited cupboard space. Some kitchen appliances that have been popular with my flatmates include the hallowed sandwich toaster, the mini George Foreman grill and the rice cooker. Also, if you're into ironing, an ironing board is provided but an iron isn't, so bring your own (mine was about £3.99 from Tesco and seems to do the trick). I think all this is applicable to Victory as I think it's pretty much the same as Britten House, but correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Mmmm yeah. I can definitely vouch for the double duvet on a single bed. I just let the excess duvet hang over the side when I occasionally made my bed. And I'm a wriggler and I still woke up covered in duvet. Although that may have been part of the reason I didn't end up in a couple of 10am winter Thursday seminars...

I got loads of my stuff from IKEA. I blimming love that place. My little brother's starting uni this year and is thoroughly uninterested in what he brings with him apart from his computer and a lot of beer, so I have persuaded my mum into taking me there with her when she goes to get his uni stuff. I honestly cannot wait. I will vouch for Dunelm Mill pillows and duvets though, they're ridiculously comfy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    If you're looking for that, primark also do nice looking bedding sets, may get a little ratty after a couple of years but for the price it's worth it I think!

Also there is a big ASDA in norwich And a matalan which is good for those kind of things.

xxx

I ♥ Ikea...wish there was one in/close to Norwich. Oh well, I'll survive. It looks like I'll have alot of other good options. I'll probably spend like 2 days checking the websites and comparing prices so I'll know what to get where...I'm a planner like that. :innocent:
    My very limited knowledge on the workings of public transport should make my first couple weeks of shopping pretty interesting, too.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I'm confused i just got the following email yesterday with the title: Welcome to the University of East Anglia: Registration Information

Is the the email detailing what room I got. If so, there is no information included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    The rooms in Victory House are the same size/shape/layout as those in Britten, Paston, Colman, Browne and Kett. They are fairly newly decorated and furnished. There's a wardrobe, a chest of drawers (three drawers) and a shelf above the wardrobe, plus above desk shelving. It's a fairly standard size, so you'll have space for underbed boxes (I could fit three regular sized ones plus a suitcase under my bed in Britten House) if you need them. I found the storage provided wasn't quite enough to fit all my clothes, but depending on how much stuff you have, you might not need as many boxes - you can always send them back with your parents.

In the kitchen, you'll get a shelf of a fridge, half a drawer of a freezer and as much cupboard space as you can claim when you move in. You may have to keep some of your kitchen stuff in your room, depending on how much has been taken up by your flatmates. You will have to supply all your cookware, and whilst there was a pots and pans sale in fresher's week last year, it's not too expensive to buy your own basic set of pans, plate/bowl and knives and forks. You won't need a kettle as there is a boiling water dispenser in the kitchen (which is really useful in dire tea emergencies) or a toaster as one in provided. Anything else you think you might need you should bring, bearing in mind you may have limited cupboard space. Some kitchen appliances that have been popular with my flatmates include the hallowed sandwich toaster, the mini George Foreman grill and the rice cooker. Also, if you're into ironing, an ironing board is provided but an iron isn't, so bring your own (mine was about £3.99 from Tesco and seems to do the trick). I think all this is applicable to Victory as I think it's pretty much the same as Britten House, but correct me if I'm wrong.

You mention regular sized underbed boxes. Could you give me an idea of the size that would fit as there are so many different ones about?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I just recieved an email confirming my accomodation.

Paston House, anyone had any experience there if so what is it like?

EDIT: mordoovde1 it is not a accomodation confirmation it is just telling you that you will have to register soon, they should send you more info later hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Just got an offer for Nelson, I guess that's fine but was hoping for Norfolk/Suffolk to save money etc ut ahh well. From what I gather the rooms are huge, it's very expensive, and the rooms are split over different floors. Is Nelson any good for parties / social etc? I'm really outgoing so don't wanna be stuck in a flat where no one talks, I know it depends on the people but what's the reputation for this block like anyway?

(Original post by Godot123)
    I just recieved an email confirming my accomodation.

Paston House, anyone had any experience there if so what is it like?

EDIT: mordoovde1 it is not a accomodation confirmation it is just telling you that you will have to register soon, they should send you more info later hopefully.
    I heard Paston is one of the most sociable blocks at UEA, have fun

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the delay but I've just been told we sent out another batch of offers this morning. Hope everyone like their new rooms!

As always remember to check both your inbox and junk mail. If you don't respond to the offer we will take it away in five days so make sure you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surfacing)
    Just got an offer for Nelson, I guess that's fine but was hoping for Norfolk/Suffolk to save money etc ut ahh well. From what I gather the rooms are huge, it's very expensive, and the rooms are split over different floors. Is Nelson any good for parties / social etc? I'm really outgoing so don't wanna be stuck in a flat where no one talks, I know it depends on the people but what's the reputation for this block like anyway?

I heard Paston is one of the most sociable blocks at UEA, have fun
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. These things change from year to year depending on the students living in the blocks. Just because somewhere was loud or quiet the year before doesn't mean it will be the same the year after.

We change the type of students that use the blocks from year to year anyway since we move where the Postgraduate areas are on campus around. Just take your year as YOUR year and don't worry about what happened there before.

ReputationRep:
    Got my accommodation offer for constable terrace, So happy! So all is good Hope everyone else gets what they want!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 9 Feb '19
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.