Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikey_g)
    well that was difficult!
    any idea why nerve conduction ceases at high temperature? is it alright to talk about synaptic enzymes denaturing etc? goddamnn
    I put two different answers and (hopefully :p:) one of them is right:

1. High temperature is a very large stimulus that would cause frequent action potentials to conduct down the axons. Eventually the vesicles containing the neurotransmitter would run out and the synapse would be acclimatised.

2. The enzymes that break down the neurotransmitter would denature. Therefore the neurotransmitters cannot breakdown and the receptors on the post synpatic membrane would be blocked so conduction would stop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    why is the plasma percentage 17.9%?
    why do you ignore the 1200 figure
    i worked the percentage plasma out of 1200 which was something like 700/1200
    then related that ratio to 125 and got around 6%
    but thats wrong ?
    this is what i mean how can people ignore 1200 lol

i did 700-250/2400 x 100

ReputationRep:
    For the high temperature stopping impulses, I said the axon membrane could start to breakdown leading to the membrane no longer being impermeable to Na+

ReputationRep:
    When and where can I see the mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Worst exam ever in the history of OCR. Fact.

ReputationRep:
    TERRIBLE paper. Seriously, what the **** was that all about? Seals? Are you kidding me? Over half the questions were pretty weird ones.

Hope grade boundaries are crazy low (they might be given everyone found it hard), otherwise June resit FTW

ReputationRep:
    "Here is a drawing of a happy seal... here is a drawing of the seal on the surface of the water... here is a drawing of the seal swimming happily underwater..." :p:

I have to admit, I felt a bit insulted by their need to fill up a whole page with drawings like that. Its a seal ok, I think we all know what they are!

Ah ha, well I truly screwed that up overall. I hate all the "fluffy" questions they asked... I could have scribbled down glycolysis, krebs, ETC, photophosphorylation, calvin cycle, ornithine cycle, action potentials, synapses, etc etc, absolutely perfectly, but when it came down to it there were only a handful of questions which actually required detailed knowledge of these! The rest seemed like they were just looking for wordy answers that only included snippets of knowledge about the above.

When can we sign up for retakes?

ReputationRep:
    Guys your new job is to get a picture of that seal question. An exam as silly as this needs a facebook group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Hey! how did it go =}?
    awfull, all of it - just awfull. how about you ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madani191)
    For the high temperature stopping impulses, I said the axon membrane could start to breakdown leading to the membrane no longer being impermeable to Na+
    I said if temperature is increased too much, bonds in protein tertiary structure will begin to break down and the protein will denature. Sodium ion channels are proteins and will hence be denatured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)

i did 700-250/2400 x 100
    but 1200 was plasma while 700 was the filtrate then again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)

i did 700-250/2400 x 100
    cause it wasnt asking what % of the 1200, it was asking what % of the 700. the 1200 was just to throw you off/ trick question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt7)
    "Here is a drawing of a happy seal... here is a drawing of the seal on the surface of the water... here is a drawing of the seal swimming happily underwater..." ;

I have to admit, I felt a bit insulted by their need to fill up a whole page with drawings like that. Its a seal ok, I think we all know what they are!

Ah ha, well I truly screwed that up overall. I hate all the "fluffy" questions they asked... I could have scribbled down Glycolysis, Krebs, ETC, Photophosphorylation, Calvin Cycle, Ornithine Cycle, etc etc, absolutely perfectly, but when it came down to it there were only a few questions which actually required detailed knowledge of these! The rest seemed like they were just looking for wordy answers that only included snippets of knowledge about the above.

This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    I said if temperature is increased too much, bonds in protein tertiary structure will begin to break down and the protein will denature. Sodium ion channels are proteins and will hence be denatured.
    yea whats wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    It was terrible D: This is the first time where I've not actually had the time to scribble some random **** for the last few questions as it nears the end of the hour. Blank spaces! ****.

I really need an A in this ;o;

Hoping it'll be like the M2 paper last Jan where the UMS was dragged right down... It ended up being 65/75 for 100 or something equally ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BiGBaDBoO)
    Guys your new job is to get a picture of that seal question. An exam as silly as this needs a facebook group.
    I agree :p:

ReputationRep:
    can some 1 upload the paper??? and answers please.....any teachers???

ReputationRep:
    i think i might have got 42/60 which is not even close to A damned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ACDC)
    cause it wasnt asking what % of the 1200, it was asking what % of the 700. the 1200 was just to throw you off/ trick question.

no but surely it was putting 1200 to show what percentage of it is plasma??
    so 700 out of 1200?
    and then you apply that on a smaller scale to the 125?

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by matt7
    "Here is a drawing of a happy seal... here is a drawing of the seal on the surface of the water... here is a drawing of the seal swimming happily underwater..." ;

Ah ha, well I truly screwed that up overall. I hate all the "fluffy" questions they asked... I could have scribbled down Glycolysis, Krebs, ETC, Photophosphorylation, Calvin Cycle, Ornithine Cycle, etc etc, absolutely perfectly, but when it came down to it there were only a few questions which actually required detailed knowledge of these! The rest seemed like they were just looking for wordy answers that only included snippets of knowledge about the above.

LOL at the seal!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.