Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Nope. I don't go on placement until late September so have time to read. Is pre-course reading even important?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's advisable to familiarise yourself with some of the popular education theory (see Piaget, Vygotsky, Bruner) but I wouldn't drive yourself mad over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    It's advisable to familiarise yourself with some of the popular education theory (see Piaget, Vygotsky, Bruner) but I wouldn't drive yourself mad over it.
    I agree. I didn't do any reading before I started, and only when I was doing an assignment (unless I was looking for something specific to a lesson plan).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    I wouldn't worry about the primary bit. Just think, you are having two whole weeks to observe and learn a lot about where your pupils are coming from and about learning in general, and there's no pressure on you in terms of teaching. Treat all observation time as a real luxury

And as for the essays, I was worried too as I did maths so had very limited essay writing experience, also with no dissertation. But it's actually not as bad as you expect! They will give you lots of support as they know many will have been out of education for a while. They wouldn't have given you a place if they didn't think you could do it.

The best advice I can give is listen carefully to all the tutors advice. After one of the deadlines they gave feedback on common errors on my course... some people hadn't used any sources, or any sources related to maths (this was for the maths assignment) only general teaching. It's these kinds of things where people either don't try at all or don't listen to anything/read any of the course advice which cause people to fail. Just read all your documentation, look at the recommended reading lists, and make sure you use sources and actually compare and develop what they say.

ALSO if your uni doesn't organise these anyway, arrange a session with a few PGCE friends where you talk over your thoughts on your observations etc (if your essay is based on observations from school). It really helps you think about your observations from a different perspective and develop your ideas... maybe that pupil was actually thinking this etc. I can't emphasise how much this helps! Also, if you are having to evaluate a teaching activity explain what you did to friends and ask for their praise and criticism (they can write it down and it can be included as an appendix if you want, though check this with your tutors first). Again this really helps your perspective and you can then go away and read up on those ideas.

Good luck!

xxx
    Thank you so much for you helpful reply - I am quite lucky that I am living with three other student teachers for our PGCE year and will be discussing essays etc between us!

ReputationRep:
    I'm so scared about going back to full time teaching.

ReputationRep:
    What's worrying you exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this question has already been asked, but with a PGCE, if you are working at a school for free for a whole year, how do you earn money...? Do you get a maintenance loan, or...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessykins)
    Sorry if this question has already been asked, but with a PGCE, if you are working at a school for free for a whole year, how do you earn money...? Do you get a maintenance loan, or...?
    You are usually entitled to a student loan as per your undergrad for fees and living, and you may receive a bursary depending on your degree classification and subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessykins)
    You can get the same student loans and grants as for am undergraduate course. You may also be eligible for a bursary depending on your teaching subject and degree class.

Also, many people who do the course after working for a while save up a bit, or have support from partners.

I'll now as well that you spend time in uni as well as in schools, though the government is slowly reducing this time.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by noodles!)
    What's worrying you exactly?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll be working in a new academy, so nothing will be familiar. I'm panicking that I won't be able to make myself understood and the kids will walk all over me. I don't have the schemes of work yet, but I know what textbooks I'll be using.

I'm not really sure what to do to prepare.

I think I need help. Not sure I'm ready for all this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    I'll be working in a new academy, so nothing will be familiar. I'm panicking that I won't be able to make myself understood and the kids will walk all over me. I don't have the schemes of work yet, but I know what textbooks I'll be using.

I'm not really sure what to do to prepare.

I think I need help. Not sure I'm ready for all this.
    Think of all the positives of starting fresh though, I know it was tough at your old job and you will have learned a lot.

Don't worry too much about planning ahead, that will all come in time. Do you have a training/induction day before starting? If you do, you will find out plenty then. Even if not, just have introductory 'getting to know you' activities planned and you will be fine.

Feel free to PM me any time if I can help in any way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silence_Will_Fal)
    Hey guys. Currently I've just started the PGCE, I've just finished my first week. But my heart really isn't setting into this course. First week is already done and I hate it so much. So much reading and tutorial work, which isn't what I signed up for really. Does everyone feel like this at the start or is it just me? Cause I'm really considering dropping out already. I don't even want to go back to uni tomorrow!
    Give it a chance until you get into a school and see how you feel then- that's the career you're training for, after all!

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Currently I've just started the PGCE, I've just finished my first week. But my heart really isn't setting into this course. First week is already done and I hate it so much. So much reading and tutorial work, which isn't what I signed up for really. Does everyone feel like this at the start or is it just me? Cause I'm really considering dropping out already. I don't even want to go back to uni tomorrow!
    Well the course is hard work, and the workload is only going to get bigger.

However, no one I knew really managed to do all the reading set in the first few weeks, as there is just so much of it that you physically can't fit it all in lol! I quote every minute page of reading down in my diary, it all seemed very overwhelming, and in reality got the important main bits done. Just get as much done as you can on the areas you know less about, as that is the whole point of the pgce... Good grounding in theory to help you become a good teacher.

Once you're in to placement it will become much more personalised, it will be doing assignments, filling in course paperwork and then reading on the areas you and tutors feel you need to develop, rather than reading anything and everything. Plus teaching of course!!!

So I'd say wait a little bit to see whether you feel differently on starting placement. Three longer you go through the more your priorities become clear and you can tailor your work to your needs.

xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, where is ED018?

ReputationRep:
    Come the end of the PGCE, you will learn to LOVE the reading/uni weeks! See how it goes once you are in school. Also, I feel that the NQT year was a lot easier than the NQT year so this will be the 'worst' part of your career.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Guys, where is ED018?
    In which uni?

Lol.

xx

ReputationRep:
    How do you prepare for placement?

ReputationRep:
    Start on Monday - all I feel is nerves!

ReputationRep:
    I start my PGCE on the 12th. My school induction doesn't start until the 30th though can't wait to get stuck in, although I'm constantly panicking that I'm going to be a bad teacher. But I suppose that's what this year is for - confidence building and getting better at the job. I suppose it's just nerves!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    I start my PGCE on the 12th. My school induction doesn't start until the 30th though can't wait to get stuck in, although I'm constantly panicking that I'm going to be a bad teacher. But I suppose that's what this year is for - confidence building and getting better at the job. I suppose it's just nerves!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Join the club

Why are you starting soo late?

I already have work to be doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to all starting soon. Don't panic!!! Everyone is nervous but just remember, you got accepted on to the PGCE because your provider saw potential

(Original post by sunfowers01)
    How do you prepare for placement?
    Just make sure you have paper/notebook or a sheet or similar to make notes, a camera to take pictures with permission of the environment. Use the early days to get lots and lots of observation done, especially on things you are worried about, and ask any questions about bits you don't understand (even if you worry they should be obvious). And also, use them to really get to know the children, have a chat, learn what makes them tick and how they like to learn, as it will make the later part easier! Also if you have a key area you are concerned about ask a tutor for book recommendations and read some of it, this will help you the most and it's something you won't find much time for when on placement. ALSO make notes on anything you think might help for an assignment so you know what book to go back to

Overall, rest lots, and do stuff you enjoy, there's not really much you can do to prepare and the rest will do you better than preparing stuff which may not be much use anyway!

xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.