Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    And where are everton? Under most clubs within the top 4, are no where near as strong as arsenal and man united, it's ridiculous to say that they would be there up with you guys. And anyway united would have probably dominated the way bayern munich do in germany.

Didn't read the whole thing as well. Has the league been strengthened? The league in 05-09 was the best it's ever been in europe with a finalist in each year. So therefore the league has been strengthened. But hey don't read the whole thing and nitpick a thing I said because it sounded slightly controversial.
    There's absolutely no reason why Everton cant finish above Arsenal. Its certainly hard because our revenues are higher as a result of consistent CL qualification and bigger fan base etc, but its possible. Had Arsene Wenger joined them in 1996 theyd probably be ahead of us in fact. But Chelsea/City can never ever be caught because your position is externally supported.

Not really sure what Liverpool/Arsenal/Utd getting to CL finals has to do with RA. They didnt buy their way to it like CFC have.

Its ridiculous to try and justify RA anyway. Its like a kid at Eton arguing that his unearned privileged is good for the kids at the local comprehensive because they have to work much harder to catch up.

ReputationRep:
    And where are everton? Under most clubs within the top 4, are no where near as strong as arsenal and man united, it's ridiculous to say that they would be there up with you guys. And anyway united would have probably dominated the way bayern munich do in germany.

Didn't read the whole thing as well. Has the league been strengthened? The league in 05-09 was the best it's ever been in europe with a finalist in each year. So therefore the league has been strengthened. But hey don't read the whole thing and nitpick a thing I said because it sounded slightly controversial.
    Everton are where they are because they can't afford to pay the wages that top footballers demand- links to my previous post about inflated wages caused by one man and all other clubs following. Bayern have generated their own money and built their stadium by re-investing their profits much like us. Their domination is down to the way the club is managed and besides the last 2 seasons before this was won by Dortmund so I don't know why you keep banging on about how they dominate the bundesliga which I think your basing on this season alone.

The league has not been strengthened..just get that out of your head! English teams have been at the latter stages of the champions league for ages! Also you can't judge the strength of the league based on who is in the final each year..if that was the case then the Spanish league would be said to be suffering and I don't think that the case (my opinion, deal with it).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    Basically, Chelsea are a small club with lots of money.

Let's suppose, for example, that United, for whatever reason, lost all their wealth and plummeted down the leagues, into the Conference or a regional division. They'd still be a massive club, not only nationally but globally, because of their fantastic history, the memories and stories their name invokes. If the same were to befall Chelsea... Well, you know what the reality would be. Their recent "popularity" is based purely on one man's bank balance. There's no prestige to them whatsoever - and their fans, deep down, know it.
    I would disagree.

Even as an arsenal fan, i think Chelsea have prestige - not that it even matters overtly.

Cl Winners in an amazing fashion.

Top players who were bought at reasonable prices who became the heart of the team and ones even neutrals love : Drogba, Lampard, perhaps Cole, and maybe then Terry.

Many PL's, many Fa-Cups and so on and so forth. Huge force in europe/should have won several CL's.

Any team above Arsenal spends a lot of money. Only totenham and Arsenal run a football club economically. Manchester had to buy our best player from us.

Oscar, Hazard, and Mata are just world-class imo.

Carzola, Wilshere, and Arteta/oxo are also class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    There's absolutely no reason why Everton cant finish above Arsenal. Its certainly hard because our revenues are higher as a result of consistent CL qualification and bigger fan base etc, but its possible. Had Arsene Wenger joined them in 1996 theyd probably be ahead of us in fact. But Chelsea/City can never ever be caught because your position is externally supported.

Not really sure what Liverpool/Arsenal/Utd getting to CL finals has to do with RA. They didnt buy their way to it like CFC have.

Its ridiculous to try and justify RA anyway. Its like a kid at Eton arguing that his unearned privileged is good for the kids at the local comprehensive because they have to work much harder to catch up.
    Tbh it's annoying having to work up, but it's better if you're able to do it don't you think. I'm saying the CL thing because we bought loads of big signings more players wanted to go to the premier league to play, it upped the competition as well, fergie e.g. saw that chelsea were improving in 04-05 so he goes and signs the likes of rooney, vidic, evra and more.

The prem could have easily turned into la liga or the bundesliga/scottish league in terms of competitiveness if there were no money clubs and that imo would be worse than the arrival of money clubs. But I know where this is going to go so I'll leave it after this:

The prem and the french league in western europe are the only leagues with money clubs, before the arrival of the money clubs(before city, chelsea, monaco(if we count them now) and PSG) it was a complete two horse race. Being united vs arsenal and lyon vs marseille. Even with the likes of lille coming in to win the title e.g. they were fully reliant on one or two players(eden hazard), when that player left surprise surprise they're no longer challenging for the title. I'm pretty sure that would have been the exact same case for these clubs here. 10-15 years of a 2 horse race if I wanted that I'd watch the ukranian league.

tl;dr I'm not in anyway saying that what we have done is right, but it has certainly made the league more competitive, numerous examples of other leagues that promote the approach that you are suggesting shows how 1 or 2 sided the league would be each year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    The league has not been strengthened..just get that out of your head! English teams have been at the latter stages of the champions league for ages! Also you can't judge the strength of the league based on who is in the final each year..if that was the case then the Spanish league would be said to be suffering and I don't think that the case (my opinion, deal with it).
    Learn some football history before writing this, have a quick check on wikipedia where the english clubs were until 04-09 in the early years of the CL. Then try to seriously back up an argument that english teams were strong in the CL in comparison to 04-today. Besides that treble win english teams were poor in europe.

Spanish league is suffering to an extent. Lack of competitiveness etc. but it's still a strong league, real madrid and barca have both been in the semi finals for 3 years running.

ReputationRep:
    Am I reading this right? Chelsea made the PL more competitive? Fergie signed players because of Chelsea?

Am. I. Reading. This. Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Am I reading this right? Chelsea made the PL more competitive? Fergie signed players because of Chelsea?

Am. I. Reading. This. Right?
    Not exactly. I'm saying chelsea made the PL more competitive in europe. Not saying that he signed them specifically because of chelsea. Saying that he got his team to improve because he had bigger competition from the likes of chelsea domestically. Because of our domestic success, united had more incentive to buy players.

E.g. last season do you think fergie would have bought RVP had city not won the title and wanted him as well? It's not like his strikers were doing poorly last season in relation to their gametime. Welbeck was improving, hernandez and berbatov didn't get much gametime as they would have liked but had a decent goal return.

It's a fact that the rise of chelsea also coincided with PL dominance in europe, do you agree with that? Simple question.
    It's also a fact that la liga has no money clubs at this moment in time, they also have little to no competition for the title bar two clubs, do you agree with that? The french league had little to no competition for the title in the 00s to 2010, do you agree with that?

ReputationRep:
    Whatever jams smoking I'd like some. Absolutely ridiculous argument.

ReputationRep:
    Learn some football history before writing this, have a quick check on wikipedia where the english clubs were until 04-09 in the early years of the CL. Then try to seriously back up an argument that english teams were strong in the CL in comparison to 04-today. Besides that treble win english teams were poor in europe.

Spanish league is suffering to an extent. Lack of competitiveness etc. but it's still a strong league, real madrid and barca have both been in the semi finals for 3 years running.
    English teams were poor in Europe? What about Liverpool in the 70s, 80s and 04? Anyway I still don't understand how you can judge the competitiveness of a league based on how well they do in Europe..that is *******s and you know it.

Spanish league is not suffering, in fact I think its increased competition from the likes of Atletico, Valencia and to a lesser extent Malaga that will make the league more exciting in the future. Note, that Im not basing my judgement on how well the league is doing based on how it has faired in Europe this year.

ReputationRep:
    This is getting really boring now. Jam I dunno why you're taking it all so personally and getting so vexed. You must KNOW that everybody hates Chelsea? Just move on.

Anyway. Saw this on the Arsenal website, quite interesting:
    No players have combined for more Premier League goals this season than Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott, and Cazorla and Lukas Podolski.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    No players have combined for more Premier League goals this season than Olivier Giroud and Theo Walcott, and Cazorla and Lukas Podolski.
    Decent goal return tbf. Considering all 4 of them have either been put in an unfamiliar role at times this season or adapted to a new league it's quite good. Anyway what would that mean in respect to a striker? Since the goals are more spread out as a team in comparison to last season would you rather have it this way than last season when RVP was the main goalscorer?

ReputationRep:

Cazorla, Poldi and Walcott have 30 EPL assists and 37 goals between them this season. What a contrast to last season when RVP was our only attacking threat.

Decent goal return tbf. Considering all 4 of them have either been put in an unfamiliar role at times this season or adapted to a new league it's quite good. Anyway what would that mean in respect to a striker? Since the goals are more spread out as a team in comparison to last season would you rather have it this way than last season when RVP was the main goalscorer?
    Definitely prefer to have variety. Of course ideally we'd have both a 25 a season striker with midfielders chipping in 10 each too, like we did with Henry/Pires/Ljungberg. We still need a striker badly as Giroud is never going to get more than 15 in a season imo.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously in an ideal world, I'd rather have it like we do now, but also have an RVP-quality striker that can score from nothing!

it's great that the goals are spread this season and that our players are combining well, but it's clear we've lacked a cutting edge all season, and a lot of our draws would be wins, and losses would be draws or wins, if we had somebody who really just knows how to put the ball in the net.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously in an ideal world, I'd rather have it like we do now, but also have an RVP-quality striker that can score from nothing!

it's great that the goals are spread this season and that our players are combining well, but it's clear we've lacked a cutting edge all season, and a lot of our draws would be wins, and losses would be draws or wins, if we had somebody who really just knows how to put the ball in the net.
    True say, Although I'd say you've done better than last season. I know podolski is a fader but a front four of podolski, cazorla, giroud and walcott doesn't sound too shabby.

Hopefully walcott can improve next season, while I've bashed him many a time if he can keep up similar or better goal tallys he'll be a class player, still obviously has loads of limitations but if you use a limited player properly there isn't a problem there. I think wenger will find someone though or he will try to get giroud firing some more. He is a guy I like but his finishing leaves a lot to be desired, that part of his game can improve.

Still need another attacking player jovetic would be a sure hit in the PL and you'd have the most attacking depth I've seen at arsenal.

Although where will this leave chamberlain? I think he needs more game time at the top level.

ReputationRep:
    Cazorla, Poldi and Walcott have 30 EPL assists and 37 goals between them this season. What a contrast to last season when RVP was our only attacking threat.

Definitely prefer to have variety. Of course ideally we'd have both a 25 a season striker with midfielders chipping in 10 each too, like we did with Henry/Pires/Ljungberg. We still need a striker badly as Giroud is never going to get more than 15 in a season imo.
    We'll see with giroud, He's not great at holding the ball up for a target man but I like his movement think if he could improve on his technique and finishing which is possible imo he'd be a 20 goal striker. You did make adebayor look good :lol:

ReputationRep:
    why so jelly arsenal fans?? u guys talk about class all the time and the only thing u can do is mock a team's history when they won a cup. very classy from u right??

cant wait for us (spurs) to eventually overtake u as the 4th best team in the league. hopefully newcastle beat u this weekend and we take 4th. would be so lols to see all your armchair reactions on this thread hahaha. move on arsenal, soon to be just an average club in london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parano!d)
    cant wait for us (spurs) to eventually overtake u as the 4th best team in the league. hopefully newcastle beat u this weekend and we take 4th. would be so lols to see all your armchair reactions on this thread hahaha. move on arsenal, soon to be just an average club in london.
    What so anyone who doesnt make the 7 hour journey up to Newcastle is an armchair fan? head's gone mate.

Been hearing this nonsense from Spurs fans my whole life. If you couldnt finish above Arsenal in the last 2 seasons when were right at the bottom of a cycle then itll never happen.

We'll see with giroud, He's not great at holding the ball up for a target man but I like his movement think if he could improve on his technique and finishing which is possible imo he'd be a 20 goal striker. You did make adebayor look good :lol:
    He looks much better when you see him live, some of the little runs he makes are good and he brings others into the game pretty well. Problem is that you never fancy him to bury a chance and he hasnt impressed against the big clubs. Happy to have him as a rotation option but we need someone a bit more clinical and skillful up front. Still cant believe Wenger got 25m for Adebayor, did Mark Hughes up good and proper.

ReputationRep:
    What so anyone who doesnt make the 7 hour journey up to Newcastle is an armchair fan? head's gone mate.

Been hearing this nonsense from Spurs fans my whole life. If you couldnt finish above Arsenal in the last 2 seasons when were right at the bottom of a cycle then itll never happen.
    you're gonna look like a right clown if we actually do get 4th this weekend mate :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    IF Spurs don't make top 4 this year, then it'll be a much harder task for them to try again next year. We are pretty much over the hill after being handicapped financially, so this is the first time in years I'm actually confident of us spending money on decent players with new deals coming in, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parano!d)
    why so jelly arsenal fans?? u guys talk about class all the time and the only thing u can do is mock a team's history when they won a cup. very classy from u right??

Name:  AmhJjYFCAAABhde.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  34.1 KB

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.