Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Do you support a Federal Europe then?
    Yes, I am one of those extremely pro-EU people who would want a Federal Europe one day (I pretty certain that not even the Labour Party or the Lib Dems go that far, though I know some individual members who support the idea).

The whole thing about a 'federal' Europe (and by that I mean a union similar to the US, though probably slightly weaker) instead of just a European 'nation' is that individual nations would be able to preserve some of their own powers, culture, etc

The reason why I believe in a Federal Europe is because I love Europe. I love our history, our culture and our 'values.' Yes, in a way I am a European patriot. And I truly believe that the only way to preserve our way of life in a world in which Europe is of declining importance, compared to countries such as China, is to act together in a united way.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    The Democratic Deficit could be addressed by making the President of the European Council directly elected aswell as the Commission President in Europe-wide ballots.
    People are already apathetic enough towards the system. Why would more democracy help? People see the EU as painfully out of touch. If you really want to solve the EU issue and the democratic deficit, then slash the EU budget and devolve powers back to the individual countries for a start. The EU is too bureaucratic, too out of touch and too interfering for peoples' liking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanlas)
    Yes, I am one of those extremely pro-EU people who would want a Federal Europe one day (I pretty certain that not even the Labour Party or the Lib Dems go that far, though I know some individual members who support the idea).

The whole thing about a 'federal' Europe (and by that I mean a union similar to the US, though probably slightly weaker) instead of just a European 'nation' is that individual nations would be able to preserve some of their own powers, culture, etc

The reason why I believe in a Federal Europe is because I love Europe. I love our history, our culture and our 'values.' Yes, in a way I am a European patriot. And I truly believe that the only way to preserve our way of life in a world in which Europe is of declining importance, compared to countries such as China, is to act together in a united way.
    Actually the Lib Dem's are the most pro-European including myself.

I agree with this but it may not happen
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by stanlas)

You can respect other cultures and learn about them without being part of one huge conglomerate. Federal Europe is a dangerous step to take. It will erode democracy, create apathy towards the system and wipe away the power of nation states. We should co-operate of course, but the only way that Britain and other countries can do well is if we stop huddling together and start looking to work with other countries outside Europe a lot more. Look at the euro, it's a strait jacket at the moment, it prevents economic flexibility and actually continues that intra-Europe attitude which will lead to the decline of Europe. Of course we should work with Europe, but it should be balanced with working with other states.

ReputationRep:
    You can respect other cultures and learn about them without being part of one huge conglomerate. Federal Europe is a dangerous step to take. It will erode democracy, create apathy towards the system and wipe away the power of nation states. We should co-operate of course, but the only way that Britain and other countries can do well is if we stop huddling together and start looking to work with other countries outside Europe a lot more. Look at the euro, it's a strait jacket at the moment, it prevents economic flexibility and actually continues that intra-Europe attitude which will lead to the decline of Europe. Of course we should work with Europe, but it should be balanced with working with other states.
    Yawn. This is all *******s and you know it. A federal Europe with each state having its own rights defined clearly within the broader constitution would be far more democratic, far more accountable, and far more open than the system we have now. The age of the nation state is over. Get with the times man.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Yawn. This is all *******s and you know it. A federal Europe with each state having its own rights defined clearly within the broader constitution would be far more democratic, far more accountable, and far more open than the system we have now. The age of the nation state is over. Get with the times man.
    If you move democracy to a more centralised place, you'll just get even more apathy than you do now. People in England will be questioning why someone in Spain for example is voting for people and issues that don't affect Spain, but England and vice versa. Merging into one Europe isn't a healthy attitude to have. We need flexibility and freedom available to us only as a stand alone state. Further European integration won't help that.

ReputationRep:
    If you move democracy to a more centralised place, you'll just get even more apathy than you do now. People in England will be questioning why someone in Spain for example is voting for people and issues that don't affect Spain, but England and vice versa. Merging into one Europe isn't a healthy attitude to have. We need flexibility and freedom available to us only as a stand alone state. Further European integration won't help that.
    Clearly you fail to grasp the principles of federalism then. What do people in Arizona have in common with those in Maine? What are people in Connecticut doing voting on issues that don't affect those in Wyoming? Or what about New South Wales and Western Australia? Merging into one Europe is entirely healthy. Britain cannot go it alone and Europe cannot go on as it is now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by obi_adorno_kenobi)
    Clearly you fail to grasp the principles of federalism then. What do people in Arizona have in common with those in Maine? What are people in Connecticut doing voting on issues that don't affect those in Wyoming? Or what about New South Wales and Western Australia? Merging into one Europe is entirely healthy. Britain cannot go it alone and Europe cannot go on as it is now.
    Federalism is a step towards the scenario I have set out, but I don't see a merger as a healthy. Looking inwards and not out towards the rest of the world is not healthy. It doesn't encourage us to set up those links.

ReputationRep:
    Federalism is a step towards the scenario I have set out, but I don't see a merger as a healthy. Looking inwards and not out towards the rest of the world is not healthy. It doesn't encourage us to set up those links.
    Looking inwards to where exactly? To Britain? To a nearly 30-member European union? Europe is our prism through which to view the world. Any other position is just untenable.

ReputationRep:
    Good evening everyone at the TSR Labour party.

I'm considering joining, however, I feel that I need to consider all my options, so I'm going to outline a few things I believe, and I was wondering whether you you kindly tell me whether my views are in line with the majority of the party.

Firstly, I don't believe in leaving the EU, neither do I believe that the general public are fully educated enough to have a referendum on it, for there are immense internal complexities which will make leaving the EU problematic.

I believe in a standardised Taxation system - Everyone pays the same amount of income tax, as the current system does not acknowledge that there are vast differences in those that earn 35,000 and those that earn 150,000. I believe this is unfair, and easily leads to tax aversion.

In addition, I believe that the criminal justice system treats prisoners too well, thus I would propose turning our prisons into labour camps, or massive industrial buildings, with very unpleasant conditions, and minimal enjoyment. This would only turn prisons into immense production factories, leading to an increase in GDP and makes the prospect of prison so incredibly daunting that it would avert individuals from offending, and re offending. However, I do advocate rehabilitation schemes after sentences are served through volunteer programmes with various charities and NGO's.

Finally, with education, I believe that there are too many individuals who are going to University needlessly, and it is costing the taxpayer significant amounts of money for mickey mouse degrees. Thus, I advocate the liquidation of universities which repeatedly rank lowly in more than 3 independent league tables. This frees up places for those who really which to study for a degree, and allows for the tuition fees to be substantially reduced to around £3000 or less a year.

Finally, I believe in a completely social welfare system which provides Free Healthcare to all, and a large amount of funding to be directed at government education schemes.

So, are my views in line with this party, or should I join another one?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I actually agree with both sides of the argument when it comes to the EU.

I am fundamentally in principal pro-EU and would even support eventual federalisation however i do very much sympathise with the Euro-skeptic arguments at the moment in that there needs to be fundamental reform at a basic political level and that is before you start arguing about which policies come out from Europe.

Economically, until Eurobonds, the fiscal compact and all countries once again meet the Maastricht treaty conditions, the UK can not even consider the Euro.

I would love to see the UK take a leading role in Europe in the future and while i do not go as far as advocating leaving i have to accept that at least for the next decade we need to keep our options as open as possible.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ThisaraD)
    QFA

On the Europe issue, you're suited to any party bar UKIP so you've whittled it down to a choice of five parties.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

I'm considering joining, however, I feel that I need to consider all my options, so I'm going to outline a few things I believe, and I was wondering whether you you kindly tell me whether my views are in line with the majority of the party.

Firstly, I don't believe in leaving the EU, neither do I believe that the general public are fully educated enough to have a referendum on it, for there are immense internal complexities which will make leaving the EU problematic.

I believe in a standardised Taxation system - Everyone pays the same amount of income tax, as the current system does not acknowledge that there are vast differences in those that earn 35,000 and those that earn 150,000. I believe this is unfair, and easily leads to tax aversion.

In addition, I believe that the criminal justice system treats prisoners too well, thus I would propose turning our prisons into labour camps, or massive industrial buildings, with very unpleasant conditions, and minimal enjoyment. This would only turn prisons into immense production factories, leading to an increase in GDP and makes the prospect of prison so incredibly daunting that it would avert individuals from offending, and re offending. However, I do advocate rehabilitation schemes after sentences are served through volunteer programmes with various charities and NGO's.

Finally, with education, I believe that there are too many individuals who are going to University needlessly, and it is costing the taxpayer significant amounts of money for mickey mouse degrees. Thus, I advocate the liquidation of universities which repeatedly rank lowly in more than 3 independent league tables. This frees up places for those who really which to study for a degree, and allows for the tuition fees to be substantially reduced to around £3000 or less a year.

Finally, I believe in a completely social welfare system which provides Free Healthcare to all, and a large amount of funding to be directed at government education schemes.

You sound New Labour ish although you also sound like a bit of a wet Tory.

Can you expand on your welfare views? Do you agree with private sector involvement as long as it is free at the point of service? Do you believe benefits should be restricted only to the very poorest? Do you believe that the unions should be severely restricted?

If the answer to those questions is yes then as a Tory welcome aboard. If not, then you are right of TSR Labour but best suited there.

ReputationRep:

Lib Dem?
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Lib Dem?
    Really? With his beliefs about the prison system?

ReputationRep:
    Really? With his beliefs about the prison system?
    I judged it on his points about the EU and tax. Right wing when it comes to Prisons and Education.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I judged it on his points about the EU and tax. Right wing when it comes to Prisons and Education.
    Surely the Liberal Democrats are fundamentally liberal in social views as opposed to his authoritarian justice stance which is much more in tune with New Labour or the Tories.

Also, are you saying that you agree with a flat tax? I always thought you agreed with Labour on that.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Surely the Liberal Democrats are fundamentally liberal in social views as opposed to his authoritarian justice stance which is much more in tune with New Labour or the Tories.

Rakas is right Morgsie. That policy isn't in keeping with your party's belief system really.

ReputationRep:
    Should you come to power, would you do something about reducing (and i mean dramatically reducing) fuel prices? Its costing me £60 to fill up my 1.6 Ford Focus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    You sound New Labour ish although you also sound like a bit of a wet Tory.

Can you expand on your welfare views? Do you agree with private sector involvement as long as it is free at the point of service? Do you believe benefits should be restricted only to the very poorest? Do you believe that the unions should be severely restricted?

If the answer to those questions is yes then as a Tory welcome aboard. If not, then you are right of TSR Labour but best suited there.
    I mean, I'm all for social welfare, as long as those people who claim benefits are willing to work for free whilst they're on benefits after three months. Unless it's incapacity benefit, in which case, they deserve to be reprimanded fully for their incapacity to work.

Yes, I believe that private sector integration, such as in the form of Advertising, is not bad at all, as it allows for better state provisions (for example, Boris should allow all the tubes in London to be laden with adverts on the outside) , and eases the burden on the taxpayer for building things such as schools. However, I believe that the Government should be the majority shareholder in all cases, and should have an overall say in how the service is run.

I believe you should receive benefits on a means tested basis. If you need benefits, you should get them. However, I believe the scrapping of child benefits is wrong, as it disfavours a certain group in the population, which is extremely unfair. In particular, single mothers earning just more than £40,000. I believe in equality.

Not at all, I believe that Unions play an extremely important role in society, and that they defend the needs of the employee against the generally heartless private sector. I'm all for unions having just as much of a say in politics as lobby groups and major financial companies are, thereby advocating a better educated form of democracy. Experts debating experts, not the general public debating the media.

Oh, and Lib Dem? Ha, not a chance in hell, I'm far too authoritarian for that. It's why I believe in a mainly state controlled market.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.