Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy_jucie)
    All this talk of interviews is making me panick...wish so done who has applied for Sunderland will let me know if they have an interview
    I am applying for Sunderland (primary) but I haven't sent my application off yet still waiting on my second referee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jill14)
    Oh great! Its going OK...ish!! Preparation for presentation done I just hope I have done the right thing Just swatting up a bit now on current issues. Im am Irish so not overly familiar with UK issues, have been reading TES and the times etc and have a particular interest in SEN, so will focus on current issues on that area. l fly over on Tuesday so will have to be completely prepared by then. I've applied for ks1 btw. How are you getting on? I feel like there is just too much to read up on!!
    Oh thats great :-) Im waiting until work tomorrow before completing the presentation thing. I want to use a photograph so need to wait till school to take it. What have you chosen? Object, game or photo? What made you choose to train in England? I'm getting on okay just reading about national curriculum etc. I work with SEN children at the moment so have naturally researched that also. There is too much to read up on! I've been to the roehampton interview before and applying for key stage 2 :-) good luck!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    Really??
    Sorry, in the day. I've told loads of people that example and every time I've screwed it up...
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    That would be such a valid way to see your immediate response, and to see how you think on the spot!! And wow do children ask some questions that would stump you!! Honestly, I think the list of questions you could be asked is just endless. Hopefully a little knowledge on the curriculum, current issues, references to your experience together with enthusiasm and passion should be enough! Do you have an interview lined up Tory88?
    It does seem a good method, and I think I'm pretty good at improvising responses so I'm just looking forward to what they come up with to ask really. I have an interview, on wednesday also, at the Institute of Education.

The interview is in three parts - a small-group interview, a 5-minute presentation for GCSE students and then a written task. It's turned out to be surprisingly difficult to teach anything in 5 minutes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Oh thats great :-) Im waiting until work tomorrow before completing the presentation thing. I want to use a photograph so need to wait till school to take it. What have you chosen? Object, game or photo? What made you choose to train in England? I'm getting on okay just reading about national curriculum etc. I work with SEN children at the moment so have naturally researched that also. There is too much to read up on! I've been to the roehampton interview before and applying for key stage 2 :-) good luck!
    I feel like I am driving myself mad! Possibly going into too much depth...I do not have a degree in english, but am researching phomemes, graphemes etc and was planning to be able to identify what stages ks1 should be at in depth in all subjects at the end of ks1. Basically almost memorising the statutory requirments, for fear I will be asked in depth about curriculum...tell me am I going too far?! How did you find the Roehampton interview before? Is the interview interrogation style? I fear I over think things!! I am using a prop based around a lesson I carried out on placement which I considered somewhat successful :O It's my first time to interview for PGCE so I really have no idea what to expect!!! Best of luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    It does seem a good method, and I think I'm pretty good at improvising responses so I'm just looking forward to what they come up with to ask really. I have an interview, on wednesday also, at the Institute of Education.

The interview is in three parts - a small-group interview, a 5-minute presentation for GCSE students and then a written task. It's turned out to be surprisingly difficult to teach anything in 5 minutes...
    Agreed! I believe at Roehampton interview we have MAX 3 minutes to demonstrate your understanding on children and learning, with the aid of a prop... I mean, 3 minutes!!!

I wish I was good at improvising, I think I just need to relax a bit!! Well the very best of luck to you, hopefully this will be the beginning of a wonderful career
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Agreed! I believe at Roehampton interview we have MAX 3 minutes to demonstrate your understanding on children and learning, with the aid of a prop... I mean, 3 minutes!!!

I wish I was good at improvising, I think I just need to relax a bit!! Well the very best of luck to you, hopefully this will be the beginning of a wonderful career
    That's insane. My theory with the short time is that they're just looking to see that you can present something, as opposed to how you present things. So I would focus on delivery and structure more than anything else.

My presenting background is stand-up comedy, so I've sort of had to be good at improvising. My main issue with that is that it's on my personal statement, and my act isn't exactly fitting for a professional environment, so I need to write a few clean jokes in case I'm asked.

Good luck with yours too, I'm sure you'll do fine - you seem to have done masses of preparation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    I'm taking my lit skills test tomorrow and haven't used my middle name on the PGCE application, however my middle name is on my forms of ID, will this be ok? :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was just looking at what I needed to take to the centre tomorrow for my tests, and noticed this:

It is important that the ID presented when you attend the test appointment exactly matches the details entered during the registration process. If there are any discrepancies you may not be permitted to take the test. The only exception to this is if your ID displays your middle name(s). Middle names will not be taken into account by the test centre staff and you will be allowed to test providing the first name and surname of the ID matches the name of the registered account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    I have an interview with IoE (for Secondary Physics with Maths) and they told me there would be a presentation and written piece, so if they haven't mentioned anything I guess it would be just a normal interview.
    Yeah my email literally just invites me to an interview and that's it, no mention of a presentation or written piece. Maybe it works differently for primary because of the skills tests?

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeffercake)
    I was just looking at what I needed to take to the centre tomorrow for my tests, and noticed this:
    Oh that's ok then, I did actually put my middle name down on the skills test registration just not on the PGCE application. I never really pay attention to my middle name lol

Thank you for finding that out

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Caina)
    Yeah my email literally just invites me to an interview and that's it, no mention of a presentation or written piece. Maybe it works differently for primary because of the skills tests?

Good luck!
    Thanks, you too! What do you mean about the skills tests? Secondary have to do them as well.

I know my structure was the same for all science PGCEs at the IoE, but from a bit of reading around every university and every department seem to have different procedures and desires when it comes to recruiting students. My e-mail was pretty prescriptive, which was quite nice. And the overwhelming impression I get is that the process is not competitive, and is as friendly as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I am driving myself mad! Possibly going into too much depth...I do not have a degree in english, but am researching phomemes, graphemes etc and was planning to be able to identify what stages ks1 should be at in depth in all subjects at the end of ks1. Basically almost memorising the statutory requirments, for fear I will be asked in depth about curriculum...tell me am I going too far?! How did you find the Roehampton interview before? Is the interview interrogation style? I fear I over think things!! I am using a prop based around a lesson I carried out on placement which I considered somewhat successful :O It's my first time to interview for PGCE so I really have no idea what to expect!!! Best of luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Your going into way to much detail, really don't stress yourself. I did that last time and half the stuff wasn't the least bit relevant. [MOD EDIT: Specific mention of uni interviews and the activities done within them is against TSR rules]. Like the skills test. As for the presentation I was one of the last to be interviewed and she didn't even ask me about it I offered to show her it! (maybe that means I was a bad interview ( ha ha) Oh god I feel physically sick :- /
    I figured I was taking it a bit far!!! You sound like you are totally prepared now, I bet the second time is a little less daunting though?? You know what to expect, probably a little more confident than last time You have definitely put my mind at rest now, thank you Where else have you applied to if you don't mind me asking? I have applied to Brighton and UEL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feartheunknown)
    That's a shame about the varying teaching there but to be honest I was only applying there for the name
    indeed, I think many do that, it is one of the top teacher training colleges in the world and publishes loads of research

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application off! I'm stupidly nervous! I've applied for Primary at Notts Trent, Birmingham City Uni and Uni of Birm!

ReputationRep:
    Just a question. In the referee section, it asks for my referee's address. I am using my university dissertation supervisor, do I put his office address or do I need to ask for his personal address?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxx)
    Hey!!

I've applied for PGCE Business Ed @ Sheffield, Nottingham & Leeds. Sheffield have invited me to an interview in approx. two weeks - has anyone got any tips? Does anyone know what the Numeracy, Literacy & Business interview tests consist of?

Hey ive applied for PGCE Business Ed for Sunderland Uni. I've been told interviews arnt untill Jan, but I've had not reply to say I've got one :-( it looks like loads of people's have interviews already which is worrying me.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there I am applying for a Biology PGCE at Middlesex, Kings and London Institute and I am stressing out so much about my referees not getting back to me! I sent off my application to them on Wednesday and I have one completed, but no response from the other - my old university tutor. I see so many people with interviews and it just makes me want to send a stream of emails, even though it hasn't even been a week!

Argh!

ReputationRep:
    Why must this be so stressful?

ReputationRep:
    I've just passed both my skills tests! Did them both within 40 minutes haha. I'm very pleased, one less thing to worry about. Just my interview tomorrow to get through....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.