Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stillamazed)
    What if you've had your assessment on thursday or friday?
    The same applies I think - immediate results are within a week but if you're in the middle you'll have to wait until a band-narrowing day. I spoke to someone who passed immediately who had FSAC on Friday and was accepted on Wednesday, and I did FSAC on Monday and passed immediately today, so I suspect you'd have heard before now if you were in the immediate group. Don't worry though, that also means you haven't been immediately rejected either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JimsFortis)
    I'm in the same position. Really frustrating. I wish the CD option could progress at the same time, giving us an indication of which department we might end up in.
    Wait, what - I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you...

Are you saying that, if you've applied for CD as well as HP, you won't find out whether you've passed the assessment centre for either of them until the bands have narrowed enough for both of them? i.e. you might have done well enough for CD but your status won't actually change until they've determined how your marks fare for HP as well?

Or am I completely misunderstanding?

I thought you'd just find out for either scheme once the bands narrowed for either scheme enough for your to be accepted or rejected? And so that the only issue with HP was just that, if you're later rejected for HP at the Final Selection stage, waiting for that will obviously delay you accepting the CD offer and mean you won't find out your department till later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stillamazed)
    Wait, what - I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you...

Are you saying that, if you've applied for CD as well as HP, you won't find out whether you've passed the assessment centre for either of them until the bands have narrowed enough for both of them? i.e. you might have done well enough for CD but your status won't actually change until they've determined how your marks fare for HP as well?

Or am I completely misunderstanding?

I thought you'd just find out for either scheme once the bands narrowed for either scheme enough for your to be accepted or rejected? And so that the only issue with HP was just that, if you're later rejected for HP at the Final Selection stage, waiting for that will obviously delay you accepting the CD offer and mean you won't find out your department till later.
    You can pass CD (which you'd find out through a message) and still be at a status of 'awaiting results' as HP/DS have a higher pass mark for FSAC than CD. And until you have found out for sure that you've failed HP/DS, whether that's before the FSB or not, you cannot progress your CD position so won't be able to choose departments etc.
    I hope that clear things up!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I was successful for CD today with a mark of 16.88. The feedback report was pretty brutal on my performance in the group exercise despite the fact that my project was chosen by the group! It just goes to show that your perceptions of how the day went may not match up entirely with those of the examiners.

Now I have to consider whether it's worth giving up a job where I'm happy and decently paid in order to have a go at the Civil Service and live in a shoebox with 10 other people on the outskirts of London.....

ReputationRep:
    If you join the Civil Service they will likely send you to Birkbeck anyway (and possibly pay for you too). I know of several Civil Servants who have been advised to study a postgrad course at Birkbeck by their departments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    Successful for HR!

FSAC was Monday, went to 'awaiting results' yesterday then 'successful' today. So happy and excited!
    Congratulations! I have also applied for HR but am attending an assessment centre next week. I don't suppose you have any general tips for performing well on the day?

ReputationRep:
    Everybody, I'm currently prepping for my FSAC on the 13th. Would anybody be willing to have a chat re: policy exercise. I believe my eTray written part was poor and believe that I need to nail it on the day. Currently using the Guide to work at the example, but it seems pretty simplistic and clearly its a lot less information than you receive on the day. Could anyone confirm that the example task found in this guide is similar to that on the day? https://candidate.faststream.gov.uk/...idateGuide.pdf

Also any general hints + tips would be gratefully received!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cali121)
    Congratulations! I have also applied for HR but am attending an assessment centre next week. I don't suppose you have any general tips for performing well on the day?
    Nothing really that's specific to HR - read through the FSAC candidate guide carefully, and make sure you learn the competencies that are being tested in each section. Don't worry if you don't think you did well on an exercise, since each competency is tested more than once and your perception of how things went might not be the same as your assessors'. Think up a few examples for each competency that will be asked about in the interview, but don't learn answers by rote since the questions will be asking for specific things and you'll need to tailor your responses each time. And don't worry, the assessors want you to do well, so it's a really supportive environment.
    (Original post by Lauws)
    Everybody, I'm currently prepping for my FSAC on the 13th. Would anybody be willing to have a chat re: policy exercise. I believe my eTray written part was poor and believe that I need to nail it on the day. Currently using the Guide to work at the example, but it seems pretty simplistic and clearly its a lot less information than you receive on the day. Could anyone confirm that the example task found in this guide is similar to that on the day? https://candidate.faststream.gov.uk/...idateGuide.pdf

Also any general hints + tips would be gratefully received!
    That's pretty much what it is! You read through a lot of information, though - more than you can realistically get through in detail in an hour and three quarters, so you need to show your skills in reading quickly and critically, using facts and figures, and creating arguments that support the policy you have chosen. It doesn't matter which policy you pick, but how you justify it and how you use the information that you've been given. Basically what it says in the FSAC guide!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frigorifico)
    Hi all! I was successful for CD today with a mark of 16.88. The feedback report was pretty brutal on my performance in the group exercise despite the fact that my project was chosen by the group! It just goes to show that your perceptions of how the day went may not match up entirely with those of the examiners.

Now I have to consider whether it's worth giving up a job where I'm happy and decently paid in order to have a go at the Civil Service and live in a shoebox with 10 other people on the outskirts of London.....
    Congratulations!

How did you find out your marks? Were they sent to a message in your inbox?

ReputationRep:
    pretty much what it is! You read through a lot of information, though - more than you can realistically get through in detail in an hour and three quarters, so you need to show your skills in reading quickly and critically, using facts and figures, and creating arguments that support the policy you have chosen. It doesn't matter which policy you pick, but how you justify it and how you use the information that you've been given. Basically what it says in the FSAC guide!
    Do you get the objectives for the policy in a clear manner? The example in the guide is pretty vague. Also,

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, have passed FSAC and am waiting to attend the Diplomatic Service assessment centre. Just had a question about pre-appointment checks, I'm planning to volunteer in India this summer for eight weeks (not sure of the exact dates, will be sometime between May and August). Will being abroad affect my ability to complete the checks and how flexible are the Departments about this? I phoned up the Fast Stream helpline but they didn't really say much apart from 'Wait until you're placed' and 'It depends on the Department'. I heard that you have a meeting with the Department beforehand and that this can be done via telephone, is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

How did you find out your marks? Were they sent to a message in your inbox?
    Thanks!

There was a link to the FSAC Report at the bottom of the "View Results" message. I think, but I'm not sure, that it may be available to me and not some others because now I know I was unsuccessful for the Diplomatic Service option (seemingly the only one in this thread....), so I'm not amber-banded for anything anymore in that stream.

Re: policy exercise, can't really give too much away but just remember to talk equally about both options and make full use of the financial data provided in particular.

ReputationRep:
    Found out i was successful for Central Departments yesterday - very pleased!

Does anyone know anything about the different locations? On the postings form you are asked for a preference but there is no list to choose from. I presume a lot/most get posted to London - how are we meant to know where there opportunities elsewhere and what these would be like? Any help appreciated! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauws)
    Do you get the objectives for the policy in a clear manner? The example in the guide is pretty vague. Also,
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

There was a link to the FSAC Report at the bottom of the "View Results" message. I think, but I'm not sure, that it may be available to me and not some others because now I know I was unsuccessful for the Diplomatic Service option (seemingly the only one in this thread....), so I'm not amber-banded for anything anymore in that stream.

Re: policy exercise, can't really give too much away but just remember to talk equally about both options and make full use of the financial data provided in particular.
    Ah ok, thanks - there's no link there on mine yet. I only found out on Friday so it's not like I've been waiting long, I was just wondering if I'd missed something. Thanks!

ReputationRep:

So you got your feedback report straight away? Where will this be when it is available? Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Those who have received an offer and have seen your feedback, what was your pass score out of interest? It would be interesting to see approx. where the boundaries are.

ReputationRep:

Congratulations! I think it's very unusual that you got your feedback report immediately, I've been waiting weeks for mine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stephanie.k)
    I've emailed and if you are immediatey successful or unsuccessful then you find out by the end of the week you had your FSAC. Apart from this, results will be reviewed mid March and mid April so you could find out either one of those times.
    Thanks for the info. I guess it should be mid March then for a final decision on DS passes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone found anything out about start dates? Is there usually any flexibility?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.