The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
God, please, no. This is pathetic.

You know what is more pathetic? Bundles of result sheets with bad FP2 grades bro... And to add to that, tons of students wasting an entire year of their lives waiting to resit a paper that they spent countless hours prepping for.
Original post by JAllard
I thought that's what you meant it was already - and that you wanted to change FROM that to something else?

I think the order you listed them in confused me! :smile:

If you put them like:

[AS Maths] - [AS Further] - [A2 Maths] - [A2 Further]

It'll be a lot clearer and I'll amend what I said :smile:

Just say what it is atm and which ones you want to swap :smile:

AS Maths: C1, C2, D1
AS Further: FP1, M1, D2
A2 Maths: C3, C4, S1
A2 Further: FP2, M2, S2

Also don't worry about the swapping part that was just me not understanding how the grades are calculated. Now I just want to make sure that I am right in thinking that since my D2 is already 100 UMS if I achieve 85 UMS in both S2 and M2 I can still achieve A* further?
Original post by Zacken
No... the integrating factor knowledge was tested in 4(i) (a).

The second first order differential equation 4(ii) was meant to test whether candidates could apply the complementary function + particular integral FP2 integration method to a first order ODE which is something that is unique to the FP2 exam, i.e: testing content on the FP2 spec. If candidates chose to go down the integrating factor and double IBP route, that is just evidence of their fact that they don't understand the nuances FP2 CF/PI method.

I've only done up to c4, whats the fp2 way of intergrating
Original post by metrize
I've only done up to c4, whats the fp2 way of intergrating

Find the complentary function of the ODE and then guess a PI with undetermined coefficients and plug it into the ODE to find it's coefficients. Add them both (linearly independent solutions) to get the general solution.
Original post by Geethan
You know what is more pathetic? Bundles of result sheets with bad FP2 grades bro... And to add to that, tons of students wasting an entire year of their lives waiting to resit a paper that they spent countless hours prepping for.

I get that people thought it was a bad exam, and I can sympathise. But it was all on material that you should be comfortable with thinking about. Further to that, making a petition about it is about as writing up your exam results in crayola and declaring that those are your official results. If the exam really is as hard as you say it is, the boundaries will reflect that regardless of some silly petition.

(also, come on! I thought FP2-ers were better than this petition nonsense that silly C1-ers pull out)
Original post by Geethan
Surely the majority of the candidates found this paper unfair, one way or another. Anyone down for a petition? As in like one of those simple online ones...like from http://www.ipetitions.com/ for example. Surely Edexcel will respond in some positive way that will benefit the poor, sinful souls that sat this abominable exam?
:bricks:

This is a waste of time. The exam wasn't that hard lol. People are brushing over the fact that edexcel basically gifted us ~19 marks with question 6 and 7. (in the sense that you know if you got it right or not as you were told the answers).
59 for an A* FP3 2015 lmao it wasn't that hard
Original post by taichingkan
In defence of who went the double IBP route, which is a group that includes myself, I have never seen, both in the textbook or on past papers, the CF/PI method applied to 1st order, all the papers I've done had CF/PI on the 2nd order (please feel free to correct me), so I didn't even know at the time of the exam that 1st orders can be done by CF/PI. The question also didn't specify a method to use. The CF/PI method was tested, just on a later question with the 2nd order, and I don't think Edexcel would have wanted to test us twice on the same topic. Anyway, I hope Edexcel will mark both approaches as correct.

I have to second this - none of the books I have used taught anything but the integrating factor method (Involving the double IBP)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
I get that people thought it was a bad exam, and I can sympathise. But it was all on material that you should be comfortable with thinking about. Further to that, making a petition about it is about as writing up your exam results in crayola and declaring that those are your official results. If the exam really is as hard as you say it is, the boundaries will reflect that regardless of some silly petition.

(also, come on! I thought FP2-ers were better than this petition nonsense that silly C1-ers pull out)

I see what your saying but I think you underestimate how much help having prepared for STEP is for maths like this: A level trains you to turn a set of wheels, STEP makes you put different wheels together and that is what this question wanted.

Thus i think people's reactions are understandable and not deserving of derision.

Of course a petition is too far but if one is created it really doesn't matter/worth arguing over
Original post by NamelessPersona
AS Maths: C1, C2, D1
AS Further: FP1, M1, D2
A2 Maths: C3, C4, S1
A2 Further: FP2, M2, S2

Also don't worry about the swapping part that was just me not understanding how the grades are calculated. Now I just want to make sure that I am right in thinking that since my D2 is already 100 UMS if I achieve 85 UMS in both S2 and M2 I can still achieve A* further?

Yep, 85 average from each should seal the deal. Not a bad position to be in tbh.

Original post by Geethan

C'mon bro, you're an A2 further maths candidate - do the mature thing and focus on maximising your other modules.
Original post by Geethan
Surely the majority of the candidates found this paper unfair, one way or another. Anyone down for a petition? As in like one of those simple online ones...like from http://www.ipetitions.com/ for example. Surely Edexcel will respond in some positive way that will benefit the poor, sinful souls that sat this abominable exam?
:bricks:

Yeh, the series was mental. Signed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Windowswind123
Yeah I didnt know either but if you think about it a first order differential equation is like a second order differential equation but with the coefficient of d^2y/dx^2 equal to 0.

Good point.

I would assume it'd be possible then to just solve it as a standard second order differential, without having to differentiate it again...

i.e. for gen sol

f= e^mx f'=me^mx f''=0

me^mx + 2e^mx = 0

m = -2

and so on for P.I.
Original post by Armpits
Good point.

I would assume it'd be possible then to just solve it as a standard second order differential, without having to differentiate it again...

i.e. for gen sol

f= e^mx f'=me^mx f''=0

me^mx + 2e^mx = 0

m = -2

and so on for P.I.

Or you could just do dy/dx + 2y = 0 so 1/y dy = -2 dx

So ln y = -2x + c so y = Ae^(-2x).
Original post by Zacken
Or you could just do dy/dx + 2y = 0 so 1/y dy = -2 dx

So ln y = -2x + c so y = Ae^(-2x).

Not sure that's a faster approach but interesting nonetheless.
Original post by edothero
This is a waste of time. The exam wasn't that hard lol. People are brushing over the fact that edexcel basically gifted us ~19 marks with question 6 and 7. (in the sense that you know if you got it right or not as you were told the answers).

Couldn't agree more. I accidentally added a 1 to the denominator of one of the terms in my latter lines of working (great mistake, right?) on the integral of sin^5(x) and wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't given the answer you needed to get!
(edited 7 years ago)
I reckon they wanted you to apply the first order integrating factor method as there was a question towards the end for the second order CF+PI style.
I stupidly left the equation with a +c/IF at the end

Sent from my One using Tapatalk
Original post by somevirtualguy
Couldn't agree more. I accidentally added a 1 to the denominator of one of terms in one of my latter lines of working (great mistake, right?) on the integral of sin^5(x) and wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't given the answer you needed to get!

I made a mistake on the Taylor question. Realised when I couldn't get that π^3/81 or whatever it was.

Was a little mistake in the differentiation part

I still can't get over how much time I spent revising complex transformations and it didn't even come up 😂
Original post by somevirtualguy
I still can't get over how much time I spent revising complex transformations and it didn't even come up 😂

Same 😊

Some times I'll just be sat around, in a good mood, the weathers nice and stuff. Very pleasant!

Then this exam will cross my mind again and I just want to ****ing end it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending