Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, do the step markers usually penalise for unsimplified answers?

ReputationRep:
    Is the paper online anywhere? I wasn't allowed to keep mine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    A couple of pages back in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Check first page in the solution thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate if someone would tally up my marks.

Q1 20
    Q2 part (i) only
    Q3 I think i got part (i) out fully. Used product rule and set the expression equal to (x^3 - 2)/(x+1)^2 * g(x)/g(x) to cover any common factors, giving me q(x)^2 = (x+1)^2g(x) and so result follows easily after that.
    Q4 I got everything except the very end, Got 2*previous result + 2sechy. Didnt simplify to get final answer though
    Q5 20
    Q8 20

feel that i have enough for a 1 but not enough for a S

ReputationRep:
    Would appreciate if someone would tally up my marks.

Q1 20
    Q2 part (i) only
    Q3 I think i got part (i) out fully. Used product rule and set the expression equal to (x^3 - 2)/(x+1)^2 * g(x)/g(x) to cover any common factors, giving me q(x)^2 = (x+1)^2g(x) and so result follows easily after that.
    Q4 I got everything except the very end, Got 2*previous result + 2sechy. Didnt simplify to get final answer though
    Q5 20
    Q8 20

I would say that's a definite S.

ReputationRep:

95. Definite S.

ReputationRep:
    Why is 1/2 - X wrong for h(X)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shrek1234)
    Why is 1/2 - X wrong for h(X)?
    It's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llewellyn)
    Sounds like a 3 tbh. Did you not start any other questions?
    Okay as long as I passed I have a chance haha 😂 though can't help feeling small next to y'all Cambridge mathmos 🙄🌚

Nope haha spent a long time on 8. Also I told myself I'd just pick the best 3 and focus on those. Was aiming for 3 fulls but oh well.

Was it just me or has the paper been getting harder every year? 😟

ReputationRep:
    Easiest questions (imo) are 12, 7, 11, 1, 2, [4/5/8] (in that order). I can't see at first glance if 9 is very easy and just a slog or whether there is some kind of trap for just diving straight in.

Bit of an odd paper I think, a few typically "hallmark" questions are absent or disguised and inserted in other areas. It's hard for me to assess the difficulty though, because I do think question 12,1,8,11 all look quite accessible to anyone, but even then I think 12 is the only clear gift.

I had a look at STEP II, and honestly that seemed worse/"harder" but I am not an A-Level student anymore so my view is by no means typical.
    (Original post by Chimaera)
    Okay as long as I passed I have a chance haha 😂 though can't help feeling small next to y'all Cambridge mathmos 🙄🌚

Nope haha spent a long time on 8. Also I told myself I'd just pick the best 3 and focus on those. Was aiming for 3 fulls but oh well.

Was it just me or has the paper been getting harder every year? 😟
    Hmm well, we'll see if it pays off. I would typically advise people do start at least 6 questions but the feeling is full solutions are "more desirable".

I think there is a general change in the type of paper. In the past, questions with "tricks" or solutions which had massive shortcuts if you were clever about it were more common, whereas recently questions conform to a more typical format with a more uniform length and difficulty gradient within the question itself. Also, with the internet being more of a thing which people have access to, people do more preparation, so the standard has increased... in the end, the admissions test has to mirror the ability of those who take it.

ReputationRep:
    Easiest questions (imo) are 12, 7, 11, 1, 2, [4/5/8] (in that order). I can't see at first glance if 9 is very easy and just a slog or whether there is some kind of trap for just diving straight in.

Bit of an odd paper I think, a few typically "hallmark" questions are absent or disguised and inserted in other areas. It's hard for me to assess the difficulty though, because I do think question 12,1,8,11 all look quite accessible to anyone, but even then I think 12 is the only clear gift.

I had a look at STEP II, and honestly that seemed worse/"harder" but I am not an A-Level student anymore so my view is by no means typical.
    Didn't even prepare for applied so I guess I limited myself there. My fault I guess 😅 though I did only start preparing in March so I did what I could.

Yeah the standard questions that appeared in most past papers seemed to be missing! 😕 was so disappointed

You're not taking A-Levels anymore? Are you on a gap year? 😮

ReputationRep:
    Zacken, physicsmaths, EnglishMuon, IrrationalRoot, Mathemagicien

Is anyone else finding it a bit weird that we are now finished with all our STEP exams? I feel so relaxed right now, no more stress about them. I still have two exams next week (FP3 and Physics Unit 5) but they are pretty easy. I hope everyone is happy with their performance, I most definitely am (but also a bit confused as to why I did better in STEP III than both I and II).

I want to thank you for all the help since January. I don't think I would have ever done this well if it wasn't for you.

Probably gonna write in more detail about how amazing you are on results day, as long as I get accepted by Cambridge of course.

I am gonna still be around the STEP Prep/Cambridge thread even after my exams, but I heard someone mentioning (I think it was Zacken) that there will be a thread about Tripos during the summer? I am going to self-study part 1A during the summer, and it would be great if we could collaborate on a separate thread about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)

Is anyone else finding it a bit weird that we are now finished with all our STEP exams? I feel so relaxed right now, no more stress about them. I still have two exams next week (FP3 and Physics Unit 5) but they are pretty easy. I hope everyone is happy with their performance, I most definitely am (but also a bit confused as to why I did better in STEP III than both I and II).

I want to thank you for all the help since January. I don't think I would have ever done this well if it wasn't for you.

Probably gonna write in more detail about how amazing you are on results day, as long as I get accepted by Cambridge of course.

I am gonna still be around the STEP Prep/Cambridge thread even after my exams, but I heard someone mentioning (I think it was Zacken) that there will be a thread about Tripos during the summer? I am going to self-study part 1A during the summer, and it would be great if we could collaborate on a separate thread about it.
    Im not happy with my performance.

ReputationRep:
    12 seems to be an easy question, wished I'd looked at it in the exam. Argh. I think, for me at least the easiest questions are 12, 1, 4, 8, 3, [...] - so very different tastes there. :lol:

Yep, agree with you there. And stats questions doesn't really have much of an effect on grade boundaries

My personal experience agrees with this, but I think everybody else disagrees. I really do hope you're right though, I'm hanging on for dear life with the STEP II boundary.

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my 3 year degree, I am now going to do a masters at Cambridge. Hence, although I am good at some areas of maths, I have certainly lost my touch with some of this fast, fiddly STEP stuff. I'm certainly less qualified right now to make comments compared to the people who have been living and breathing this for the past year in preparation for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)

lol yep me too hopefully! and yea just FP3 and Phys left for me too. Gonna start on the good stuff right after physics on tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Im not happy with my performance.
    >be physicsmaths
    >get high 1,1,1
    >not happy with performance

ok m8, you are still gonna nail Tripos lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    lol yep me too hopefully! and yea just FP3 and Phys left for me too. Gonna start on the good stuff right after physics on tuesday.
    Yu freak. Chill for 1 day. Then start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    Oh my god, I am so excited for it. I've already got my Real Analysis I textbook (actually bought it last year but only got the time to go through first chapters since I had A-levels to self-study) and I am planning on getting my school to buy the necessary textbooks for V&M, DE, Probability (never done stats before in my life since GCSE so a bit excited for this one) and some of the Physics ones since I do Maths with Physics. Of course I will be using the lecture notes + example/problem sheets but I like using textbooks as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.