?
Report 11 years ago
Dropping Wheater!
Overmars
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Given that Young and SWP have been omitted, Capello might have plans for Walcott on the wing. Also anyone who has watched Arsenal at all this season will know Walcott has played on the flanks.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dropping Ashley Young instead of Stewie Downing, and Jermain Defoe instead of Theo Walcott: shocker.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes, a clear indication of Capello's intended tactical fidelity. It'll be 451/433 like last time.
Laevis
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Dropping Ashley Young instead of Stewie Downing, and Jermain Defoe instead of Theo Walcott: shocker.
As Syn has already said, Theo Walcott has played on the right wing almost all the games he has played this season, so you can't really compare his place in the squad with Jermain Defoe's. Dropping Young instead of Downing is pretty surprising though.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Laevis)
As Syn has already said, Theo Walcott has played on the right wing almost all the games he has played this season, so you can't really compare his place in the squad with Jermain Defoe's. Dropping Young instead of Downing is pretty surprising though.
Not in terms of the pecking order of positional places, sure (though I would have thought that Aaron Lennon and James Milner would have been ahead of Walcott in that respect), but in terms of a battle of ability I'd have gone with Defoe.
Ronaldo VII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'd still play 442 with Rooney and Owen up top.
Laevis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juwel)
Not in terms of the pecking order of positional places, sure (though I would have thought that Aaron Lennon and James Milner would have been ahead of Walcott in that respect), but in terms of a battle of ability I'd have gone with Defoe.
I would have too, were it in terms of ability only. However, Walcott isn't the one that has taken Defoe's place- Crouch, Owen & Rooney only can be charged with that offence- as he's been selected to play on the wing, presumably, where he's played for Arsenal this season. It might be a bit of a pedant's point, but i just think saying "Capello has opted to go with Walcott rather than Defoe" is harsh on Capello because it's inaccurate.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Ronaldo VII)
I'd still play 442 with Rooney and Owen up top.
Two strikers who couldn't finish a poo right now. Great.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In that case, there is too many midfielders and not enough strikers which again indicates the 451/443 formation and, personally, I'm not fond of it but that is what these friendlies are for; to try different formations and see what suits the boss and the players.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Two strikers who couldn't finish a poo right now. Great.
Yea they should both have been dropped for Agbonlahor who is firing on all cylinders now :rolleyes:
Laevis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In that case, there is too many midfielders and not enough strikers which again indicates the 451/443 formation and, personally, I'm not fond of it but that is what these friendlies are for; to try different formations and see what suits the boss and the players.
Well, it's Capello's favoured formation i think (although i'm not really sure which he has favoured the most throughout his brilliant career!), so it shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise to us.
mhsc
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yea they should both have been dropped for Agbonlahor who is firing on all cylinders now :rolleyes:
Or Defoe, who was the actual striker I put in my preferred XI? Do you not understand this concept? You've already made the mistake a couple of posts ago about Walcott, and now you're going to talk about another one (he was certainly in my formation as a winger)? Just because Rooney was on the bench you don't need to take it all personal, he is a pretty good super sub

:ninja:
Weezy F
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Walcott!!!! :teeth:
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mhsc)
Or Defoe, who was the actual striker I put in my preferred XI? Do you not understand this concept? You've already made the mistake a couple of posts ago about Walcott, and now you're going to talk about another one (he was certainly in my formation as a winger)? Just because Rooney was on the bench you don't need to take it all personal, he is a pretty good super sub

:ninja:
I've said Defoe should be in it. I've see no errors. Agbonlahor shouldn't be in the England squad, as a striker, winger or sub. Even Walcott has more form in those positions, plus Cole/Young/SWP.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I would have too, were it in terms of ability only. However, Walcott isn't the one that has taken Defoe's place- Crouch, Owen & Rooney only can be charged with that offence- as he's been selected to play on the wing, presumably, where he's played for Arsenal this season. It might be a bit of a pedant's point, but i just think saying "Capello has opted to go with Walcott rather than Defoe" is harsh on Capello because it's inaccurate.
OK, but whichever way I look at it I'm struck by the oddness of leaving the hottest English goalscorer out. I say hottest because it's a case of form; at the moment he is joint top with Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard in terms of league goals by Englishmen at 10 each. (Incidentally, Dave Kitson has nine, Joe Cole and Wayne Rooney have eight each.)

I think Michael Owen getting back among the goals, especially today when Defoe was unable to stake his claim, is what swung it for Capello. The slightest reason to pick Owen will get him in any England squad. As for Peter Crouch, he's there to offer something very different. A plan B or C. So it's not entirely a question of ability even within the same position.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's like the world cup all over again.
Laevis
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To be honest, Juwel, i think you've explained the reasons for Defoe's absence in two of your previous posts for yourself:

(Original post by Juwel)
A clear indication of Capello's intended tactical fidelity. It'll be 451/433 like last time.
Clearly, the shortage of strikers indicates he intends to go for the 4-5-1 with attacking wingers, as this seems to be his favoured formation.

(Original post by Juwel)
I think Michael Owen getting back among the goals, especially today when Defoe was unable to stake his claim, is what swung it for Capello. The slightest reason to pick Owen will get him in any England squad. As for Peter Crouch, he's there to offer something very different. A plan B or C. So it's not entirely a question of ability even within the same position.
And here you've explained why Michael Owen and Peter Crouch are in the squad ahead of Defoe. Both have excellent records for the national team too.

The above two reasons combined, quite comprehensively explain, and in Capello's mind (at least) justify, why Defoe isn't in the squad.
Ronaldo VII
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I expect Owen will be given minutes on the pitch this time.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To be honest, Juwel, i think you've explained the reasons for Defoe's absence in two of your previous posts for yourself:

Clearly, the shortage of strikers indicates he intends to go for the 4-5-1 with attacking wingers, as this seems to be his favoured formation.

And here you've explained why Michael Owen and Peter Crouch are in the squad ahead of Defoe. Both have excellent records for the national team too.

The above two reasons combined, quite comprehensively explain, and in Capello's mind (at least) justify, why Defoe isn't in the squad.
Of course I've tried to explain it. I try and see the side of a footballing opinion I disagree with, it makes me better :cool:

Defoe will get his chance if he keeps up his form. Capello's not fool enough to limit his options, as Defoe's initial inclusion (as well as those of others) shows.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (141)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
27%
Not great so far... (283)
35.87%
I want to drop out! (152)
19.26%

Watched Threads