Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

my EPQ is title is 'Is human genetic modification more advantageous than unethical?'

If you have any suggestions on how i should go about it, or you have your own opinion please tell me! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)

Goo luck with your presentation!
    Thank you so much!! This is really, really helpful Well done btw! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boom533)
    We're spreading it over 2 years so it's not too intense, but doing it in a summer, it probably wont turn out great...the research is looooooooooooong.

That said, most people do the research in the year before and then just write it like a day or two before deadline. It's only 5000 words so it's not hard to write, but research is...
    I only have from this week til April to do mine :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _becca)
    Hey heyy, thanks for the little explanationy bit, dunno how you pulled that off but good for you

my presentation is on Wednesday (eeek..) what sort of things should I put in there??? how should i structure it?? (did mine on A Clockwork Orange and The Caretaker btw)

please help? will repppp
    Well my presentation was more of a chilled evening with people going around each area. I would have a little introduction for everyone who got interested and then you know it sort of went of tangents and they always left satisfied I think. If you are doing a proper presentation I would think about doing a slide show, you could put in some clips (can't believe you are doing it on A clockwork orange my skl wouldve never allowed that ha) but just make sure it's appropriate. You could sort of play one clip and then stand back explain a bit about what that scene means or how it incooporates with your EPQ. Just make sure you don't drag on, start with a simple introduction as to why you chose this topic and why they should now about it etc. Then jump straight into some visuals like pictures and videos (they love that) and make sure you describe what it meant afterwards. This can go on forever if you want it to. You could also include some slides which simply have one picture in them and then do a bit of free speaking, just make sure you speak loud and clear. If you know it off by heart you score extra . Yh and don't make it too long, leave them room to ask questions as this is the part where you can score the most, you might also want to include some questions for the audience as this is engaging!

Good Luck you will be fine I'm sure !

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone

From the title im sure you've guessed what i need - some urgent help in deciding what to do as an EPQ! i have practically no idea what to do so any suggestion will be considered, and i mean literally anything....My teacher did advise me to do something around malaria and its cure, so if anyone has any specific idea around that topic that i could use as my projects hypothesis then that would be awesome!

Sincerly
    A very confused kid....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeHu)
    Hey guys,

my EPQ is title is 'Is human genetic modification more advantageous than unethical?'

If you have any suggestions on how i should go about it, or you have your own opinion please tell me! Thanks
    The first thing you should do (this applies to any and all projects) is spend a week or two just looking up, doing research, finding as many things to pile into that bibliography as you can. Try and get as many perspectives and opinions on the subject from as many angles as possible, then you can start to try and structure your essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilbugger)
    Well my presentation was more of a chilled evening with people going around each area. I would have a little introduction for everyone who got interested and then you know it sort of went of tangents and they always left satisfied I think. If you are doing a proper presentation I would think about doing a slide show, you could put in some clips (can't believe you are doing it on A clockwork orange my skl wouldve never allowed that ha) but just make sure it's appropriate. You could sort of play one clip and then stand back explain a bit about what that scene means or how it incooporates with your EPQ. Just make sure you don't drag on, start with a simple introduction as to why you chose this topic and why they should now about it etc. Then jump straight into some visuals like pictures and videos (they love that) and make sure you describe what it meant afterwards. This can go on forever if you want it to. You could also include some slides which simply have one picture in them and then do a bit of free speaking, just make sure you speak loud and clear. If you know it off by heart you score extra . Yh and don't make it too long, leave them room to ask questions as this is the part where you can score the most, you might also want to include some questions for the audience as this is engaging!

Good Luck you will be fine I'm sure !

THANK YOU! I put the finishing touches on today and included what people have said, this is fantastic I've also told my friends some questions to ask me (shhhhh )

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm doing AQA EPQ, for March entry, I have written the bulk of the words, and my question is "How have French Culture and Society Developed, Following the Changes to French Cuisine after the French Revolution and Have These Changes Had a Positive Effect?", I havn't had much supervisor time as she is part-time and also a maths teacher so often has lessons. So as a guide I sent a copy to the co-ordinator of the school who said the report would be about a D grade because of my lack of analysis (There is about 3 and half pages of analytical comment). So my question is what is important to include to boost the grade up I read on the AQA site that conclusions and evaluation must be done, but does this mean in the actual report, or as part of the assessment booklet? Pleaseee help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hyn_shayan)
    Do you think it's a good topic? I've been reading Brian Greene's books recently and would love to base my extended project on this next year.
    I didn't do an EPQ in the end, 4A2s, it didn't seem worth the extra hassle, but I was talking to my TSA advisor at school who is an ex Oxford Physics professor and he was of the opinion that the maths would get so advanced, that no school student would be able to analyse the theories properly with their level of maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quark123)
    I didn't do an EPQ in the end, 4A2s, it didn't seem worth the extra hassle, but I was talking to my TSA advisor at school who is an ex Oxford Physics professor and he was of the opinion that the maths would get so advanced, that no school student would be able to analyse the theories properly with their level of maths.
    But my EPQ was on a totally mathematical topic (History of Real Analysis). I relished the challenge. It was so fun learning about new and cool mathematics. True some of the stuff was degree level stuff, but why should that stop you? But I guess with quantum it would probably be a hell of a lot harder. In any case, you should not do an EPQ for uni application, but more importantly to further your knowledge. Of everyone I know who did for uni application, most became dissinterested and dropped out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm changing my extended project topic from Greek Mythology. I have decided I want to do forensic computing at uni so what would be the best topic to pick for my extended project? I was thinking maybe Internet security?

ReputationRep:
    AS Extended Project Engineering Survey

Engineering Survey for AS Extended Project
    The survey below regards the past and present engineering feats of the Atomic Bomb and the Large Hadron Collider.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/CY89KHV

I am carrying out this survey for research purposes as part of my AS Extended Project at school. My project title is:
    'A comparison of the Atomic Bomb and the Large Hadron Collider as examples of the 20th Century and 21st Engineering Achievements and Design.'

I am using the results of this survey to enhance my project, by including opinion and prompting new ideas

Dont feel obliged to complete it- any feedback is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm in year 13 atm and i've been doing it since the beginning of year 12. You'd have thought I'd have finished it by now

I've only recently had a mentor for it, but communication is slow and i'm sketchy about completing the qualification. However, i've already declared it on UCAS.

I wanted to know when the final deadline is? I can't seem to find it on the AQA website and don't know a teacher in school that knows.

Also, if i decided to stop doing the qualification, will it affect my application since i've already declared it on UCAS?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    The final date for entering it is in March, I think. That's what the deadline for mine is anyway. Whether or not it makes a difference depends on the university. If you did decide to stop, you would definitely need to give them a call beforehand to see whether or not it would affect your offer.

ReputationRep:
    Hey if you dont mind could you complete my survey to help with my epq http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TM9W758 Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Are we allowed to use bullet points in parts of the essay?

I have a section where i'm giving examples and just feel that listing them in a huge paragraph, or lots of little paragraphs wouldn't flow well.

Cheeeers

ReputationRep:
    i got a chilling 46/50 on my epq from last year above my predicted grade on ucas so happy with that one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmillslittle)
    Are we allowed to use bullet points in parts of the essay?

I have a section where i'm giving examples and just feel that listing them in a huge paragraph, or lots of little paragraphs wouldn't flow well.

Cheeeers
    It mainly depends on the type of project it is. Say if it's a sciencey based one that might lend itself more towards bullet points than say a philosophy one. But tbh it just depends on your project, perhaps maybe it would be a nice idea to break it up a bit by having some bulletpoints. You could put it in and ask your teacher about it

ReputationRep:
    Reading this, i'm dreading my EPQ. My college makes all students do it :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    Reading this, i'm dreading my EPQ. My college makes all students do it :'(
    What are you dreading about it? The work load, the research, the writing of it? Honestly, just pace yourself, you can write a paragraph a week and be finished by January, remember to talk to teachers, they should know loads seeing as they make everyone d it (:O cannot believe that, it can't be for everyone) or people on here if you have a small query. I'm doing my second EPQ, so good luck

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.