Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The waiting is only annoying now for closure really. I'm not largely bothered what decision come now tbh I just want them to come.

An offer would still be nice.

<3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissLee)
    (I suppose they prefer calculating it themselves!)

You should really let them calculate it themselves, because unis do it very differently. I university asking for AAB gave me a much higher offer than one asking for AAA or probably even A* grades? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_mariposa)
    Your location says Austria so I guess that's where you're from. European students are treated equally to UK students so there is absolutely no difference in the application process. It's normal that you haven't heard yet, it's only been two weeks and right now is probably the busiest time for the admissions. Some people applied in October/November and still haven't heard from all of their choices (like me ). If your teacher put an estimated Matura grade in the reference this will be no problem at all. They know that non-British predicted grades tend to be rather vague estimates. Mine was estimated by a teacher that had only met me five minutes before and had taken a short look at my current grades, then he asked me "Well, what do you want to achieve?" and I told him. It turns out that it will be quite accurate though, if I don't mess up completely from now on

Oh, and they can already see what kind of student you are, so they know you haven't just made something up.
    My teacher didn't estimate my grades in her reference, because I've changed school this year.. (Matura-year) So I've write the grades in my own statement. Is this still alright?

I don't think that we as international students have to wait longer. I've already received two offers and one rejection. What did you apply for? And where? London unis, for instance, seem to take a bit longer.

Hum, what do you mean with your education system not having predicted grades? :confused: Where are you from? (Austria, I guess? ) Usually the admission tutors are able to calculate what grades you would have achieved in the UK, so providing them with predicted grades in the Austrian marking scheme is fine with them! UCL, for example, sent me an e-mail asking to provide an overall predicted grade in our marking scheme, as my referee wrote down that I'd get an A. (I suppose they prefer calculating it themselves!)
    I have applied for Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham, Edingburgh and Manchester.... all for International Business and Management or East Asian Studies.

ReputationRep:
    You should really let them calculate it themselves, because unis do it very differently. I university asking for AAB gave me a much higher offer than one asking for AAA or probably even A* grades? :confused:
    Yes, so true! I noticed that too… A bit odd, innit? I wonder how they calculate it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger2102)
    I have applied for Sheffield, Nottingham, Birmingham, Edingburgh and Manchester.... all for International Business and Management or East Asian Studies.
    I suppose you will have to be patient and wait it all out until March Good luck! I'll keep my fingers tightly crossed for you. I'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Unsuccessful at university of Glasgow for psychology . Hopefully hear from Aberdeen soon!

ReputationRep:
    My teacher didn't estimate my grades in her reference, because I've changed school this year.. (Matura-year) So I've write the grades in my own statement. Is this still alright?

I'm sure it is. It's not coming from an "official" source, but they I think they will trust you anyways. As I said before they'll see your previous grades as well and the will be able to estimate what kind of student you are based on these and the estimated grade you mentioned. My teacher didn't mention my predicted grades either, so I just filled them into the space aboce the reference and I could have easily faked that. It would have been stupid to do so for obvious reasons, because the offer is based on this of course I applied to two of your universities and got an offer from Sheffield after about two weeks and I'm still waiting for Nottingham, if that helps... Good luck, I'm sure you will hear soon!

Yes, so true! I noticed that too… A bit odd, innit? I wonder how they calculate it :rolleyes:
    I got the impression that Sheffield want higher grades from European students (or they don't really know how to calculate the grades...) They asked for incredibly high qualifications from all EU students that I've seen on here and I personally believe that 1.3 in the Abitur is much harder to achieve that AAB :rolleyes:

(Original post by jodaxx)
    Unsuccessful at university of Glasgow for psychology . Hopefully hear from Aberdeen soon!

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that Supposedly a really good university for Psychology, too! If I don't make Glasgow my insurance I would give you my place... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Got an unsuccessful from Leicester ;(

ReputationRep:

I got the impression that Sheffield want higher grades from European students (or they don't really know how to calculate the grades...) They asked for incredibly high qualifications from all EU students that I've seen on here and I personally believe that 1.3 in the Abitur is much harder to achieve that AAB :rolleyes:
    :eek: 1.3? Oh dear, I estimate to get 1.7... My chances seems to get lower and lower each minute. I really wanted to be accepted by Sheffield

ReputationRep:
    ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHhhhhhhhhhh:woo: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: ok so a little bit stressed. I was told by my firm choice that I should hear from them today. But After obsesively checking track I doubt im going to hear anything tonight. and I really want to go to Lampeter:nopity: They have:fight: and everyone is sooo nice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it is. It's not coming from an "official" source, but they I think they will trust you anyways. As I said before they'll see your previous grades as well and the will be able to estimate what kind of student you are based on these and the estimated grade you mentioned. My teacher didn't mention my predicted grades either, so I just filled them into the space aboce the reference and I could have easily faked that. It would have been stupid to do so for obvious reasons, because the offer is based on this of course I applied to two of your universities and got an offer from Sheffield after about two weeks and I'm still waiting for Nottingham, if that helps... Good luck, I'm sure you will hear soon!

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that Supposedly a really good university for Psychology, too! If I don't make Glasgow my insurance I would give you my place... :rolleyes:
    My friend got a BCC (or CCC) offer from Sheffield.

He goes to a French school and they asked for 10/20 instead of the usual 14/20 (AAB)

ReputationRep:
    Just got an offer from kings for biomedical sciences. asking for B (already got AA)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scabo0o)
    Just got an offer from kings for biomedical sciences. asking for B (already got AA)
    Just... as in JUST? Do I need to start checking my emails at night now too :o:

Oooh congrats btw

ReputationRep:
    I've got my Interview letter this morning *screams in panic and fear*

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else on at the moment. Im just waiting 1hr before addicitvely checking track again.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: 1.3? Oh dear, I estimate to get 1.7... My chances seems to get lower and lower each minute. I really wanted to be accepted by Sheffield

Are the grades calculated the same way in Austria?? And what do they ask for in A-Levels? They probably look at the PS and other things, too. Plus we applied to different courses. I got a lower offer from Durham than I originally expected, too, so don't worry

(Original post by ferdi.g)
    My friend got a BCC (or CCC) offer from Sheffield.

He goes to a French school and they asked for 10/20 instead of the usual 14/20 (AAB)

Then it probably depends on the course. I can imagine Politics is very competetive in Sheffield and I said I'm not the only applicant from a different country who was surprised by a high offer. But it's their loss, they kind of put themselves out of the picture, because otherwise they would have been my insurance :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I agree. Hope it will be worth all the waiting. Dreadful!
    (You're from Luxembourg, whoop! :wavey:)
    Yes, I am! :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    ok now very fed up still no change. urghh. going to have to go out or spend slow anooying hours refreshing my email.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so frustrated. Hurry up Cardiff.

Every time I check my email and there's nothing there it drives me crazy. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm gonna withdrawl my application from Keele and Staffordshire because it's so far away from home...

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.