Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Good luck to all starting soon. Don't panic!!! Everyone is nervous but just remember, you got accepted on to the PGCE because your provider saw potential

Just make sure you have paper/notebook or a sheet or similar to make notes, a camera to take pictures with permission of the environment. Use the early days to get lots and lots of observation done, especially on things you are worried about, and ask any questions about bits you don't understand (even if you worry they should be obvious). And also, use them to really get to know the children, have a chat, learn what makes them tick and how they like to learn, as it will make the later part easier! Also if you have a key area you are concerned about ask a tutor for book recommendations and read some of it, this will help you the most and it's something you won't find much time for when on placement. ALSO make notes on anything you think might help for an assignment so you know what book to go back to

Overall, rest lots, and do stuff you enjoy, there's not really much you can do to prepare and the rest will do you better than preparing stuff which may not be much use anyway!

xxx
    Thanks for the tips about placements I bought a nice notebook a while back specifically for placement because when I did a year long placement module in second year of my undergrad we had to keep a sort of 'diary' as part of the assessment and it was SO useful when writing assignments/trying to find where I could improve because I'd written down what I'd observed that day/what I'd been able to do, and things like teaching styles, behaviour etc. So I'm thinking of doing that for my PGCE too

Obviously I might not end up having time to record things every day in detail but I think it'll help having stuff jotted down somewhere!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    Join the club

Why are you starting soo late?

I already have work to be doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No idea - I'm in uni every day for a few weeks before I start school. Wish I started school sooner!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    No idea - I'm in uni every day for a few weeks before I start school. Wish I started school sooner!
    Don't worry about it.

My PGCE didn't start 'til 24th September last year (although I had to do 2 weeks observation in primary before that), I had 4 induction days at my placement school mid/late October, then was on my placement 5th November-18th January. It is late compared to some universities, but everyone has roughly the same amount of teaching time in the end.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

Just seen this thread :-)
    I'm starting my PGCE next Wednesday! So excited, nervous, buzzing the lot! I can't wait :-D

Gonna have a read through some of your advice for noobies lol

X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Good luck to all starting soon. Don't panic!!! Everyone is nervous but just remember, you got accepted on to the PGCE because your provider saw potential

Just make sure you have paper/notebook or a sheet or similar to make notes, a camera to take pictures with permission of the environment. Use the early days to get lots and lots of observation done, especially on things you are worried about, and ask any questions about bits you don't understand (even if you worry they should be obvious). And also, use them to really get to know the children, have a chat, learn what makes them tick and how they like to learn, as it will make the later part easier! Also if you have a key area you are concerned about ask a tutor for book recommendations and read some of it, this will help you the most and it's something you won't find much time for when on placement. ALSO make notes on anything you think might help for an assignment so you know what book to go back to

Overall, rest lots, and do stuff you enjoy, there's not really much you can do to prepare and the rest will do you better than preparing stuff which may not be much use anyway!

xxx
    Thanks for the advice. I'm being thrown in at the deep end and start with my own classes on the 12th. I'm teaching ESL. The thing is I don't have any confidence in myself.

ReputationRep:
    I start my PGCE on the 12th. My school induction doesn't start until the 30th though can't wait to get stuck in, although I'm constantly panicking that I'm going to be a bad teacher. But I suppose that's what this year is for - confidence building and getting better at the job. I suppose it's just nerves!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm starting on the 12th too and have the exact same worries! But I think you're right - they don't expect us to be perfect straight away. By the end of next year we'll have changed so much, I expect! Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Thanks for the advice. I'm being thrown in at the deep end and start with my own classes on the 12th. I'm teaching ESL. The thing is I don't have any confidence in myself.
    I didn't have any confidence, and still it's lower than it should be!

I read this thing the other day for people starting their nqt year but much of it applies equally for trainees. One point said:

It is completely normal to feel like you're bluffing at being a teacher, and that soon someone will find you out.

This really resonates with me, and its comforting because I know it resonates with my peers who I know are fantastic teachers.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el244)
    I'm starting on the 12th too and have the exact same worries! But I think you're right - they don't expect us to be perfect straight away. By the end of next year we'll have changed so much, I expect! Eek!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where are you doing yours? Your right, it's weird to think that hopefully we will be NQTS this time next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where are you doing yours? Your right, it's weird to think that hopefully we will be NQTS this time next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm doing a joint course with MMU and RNCM (I'm doing music!) ! How about you? I know!!! It is so strange when just now I am wondering what on earth I'll be like as a teacher...!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And trust me it won't be long until you're fully qualified

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el244)
    I'm doing a joint course with MMU and RNCM (I'm doing music!) ! How about you? I know!!! It is so strange when just now I am wondering what on earth I'll be like as a teacher...!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Awesome, I'm going to MMU too but doing History!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, I'm going to MMU too but doing History!
    Woohoo!!! Might see you around next week at some point then!

EDIT: Also, if you have Facebook, there's a MMU PGCE Secondary page on there - you might already be on it, but if not it is there !

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to MMU too, to do primary :-) x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by el244)
    Woohoo!!! Might see you around next week at some point then!

EDIT: Also, if you have Facebook, there's a MMU PGCE Secondary page on there - you might already be on it, but if not it is there !
    I'm already on it! it's been very useful

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    MMU guys! I'm applying this time to do Drama!
    Let me know about the course and stuff, if you have any tips for the interview that would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Do we have to do anything to get the TA bursary or is it automatic? I paid my whole fee the other day so the bursary is very much needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    Do we have to do anything to get the TA bursary or is it automatic? I paid my whole fee the other day so the bursary is very much needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's sorted out through your uni rather than direct with govt. You will have to fill in and sign a form with the details of the
    back account you want it paid In to. My form also had instalment options - 10 or 9 installments I think... Not sure how that translates for different bursary amounts. I will note that you might not get the first payment for a month or so from now.

If you haven't already received it I'd ask them- they may get you to sign it on the first day or something. They certainly should give you the form automatically, you don't have to request it or anything like that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It's sorted out through your uni rather than direct with govt. You will have to fill in and sign a form with the details of the
    back account you want it paid In to. My form also had instalment options - 10 or 9 installments I think... Not sure how that translates for different bursary amounts. I will note that you might not get the first payment for a month or so from now.

If you haven't already received it I'd ask them- they may get you to sign it on the first day or something. They certainly souls give you the form automatically, you don't have to request it or anything like that.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I start my PGCE on Monday so am a mixture of nerves and excitement, it's been so long since we all applied I want to get started now. Has anyone started yet?
    X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carla-85)
    I start my PGCE on Monday so am a mixture of nerves and excitement, it's been so long since we all applied I want to get started now. Has anyone started yet?
    X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What subject will you be teaching?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.