Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyfied)
    Hey guys I was just wondering if I could ask some of you for advice. I recieved my acceptence into the University of Manchester yesterday to read European Studies with Italian and I'm wondering if I should go for it instead of studying at NUS Arts and Social Science plus USP which I already have a places in. I love the UK and it would be a dream to study there especially in a good university like Manchester but that mean taking on a huge loan. Is it really worth it? Or would it be better to just stay in Singapore?

Also I'd like to ask if a degree from NUS is recognised in the UK and Europe in general? I want to work in Europe after graduating. What do you guys think? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, I'm thinking of taking a modern language along with my degree too, but the UK requirements are that you have to have an A or B in A-levels. So to be accepted into European studies with Italian means you must've took Italian in A-levels right?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I am wondering about setting up of bank accounts in the UK. I heard from my uncle that when my cousin tried to set up an account last year they told her she would have to pay a monthly administration fee. Also it took almost a week for the application to process. I am aware that banks there are nothing like our singaporean efficiency but can anyone advise on the wait time and the administration fee for the banks? also which would be a better choice? lloyds or HSBC? thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliciatanxt)
    Hey, I'm thinking of taking a modern language along with my degree too, but the UK requirements are that you have to have an A or B in A-levels. So to be accepted into European studies with Italian means you must've took Italian in A-levels right?
    Hi, no I didn't take Italian for A Levels although I wish I could! With the exception of the top of the crop like King's College or UCL, most other universities in the UK offer modern language courses that do not require prior knowledge to that particular language you're interested in knowing. This doesn't usually apply to French though. I think it's because it's comparatively harder for a beginner to pick up that language from scratch compared to German, Spanish, Italian, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyfied)
    Hi, no I didn't take Italian for A Levels although I wish I could! With the exception of the top of the crop like King's College or UCL, most other universities in the UK offer modern language courses that do not require prior knowledge to that particular language you're interested in knowing. This doesn't usually apply to French though. I think it's because it's comparatively harder for a beginner to pick up that language from scratch compared to German, Spanish, Italian, etc.

No that's not true! You know initially I'm really bent on taking International Business with a modern language, but all (well most, except Hertfordshire) universities I checked require at least a C in GCSE levels. I even emailed them to confirm... & it's not like I'm learning an ab initio language. I learnt french for 10 months at Alliance Francaise, so I could speak conversational french. Btw those universities I emailed include Bath, Manchester, Warwick, Sheffield, Kent and many more..

You're really lucky to be able to get in! I guess I'll just have to settle for evening classes/language modules cos I just love learning languages too much that it's depressing not to have it alongside my degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timorockstaryeo)
    Hi guys, I am wondering about setting up of bank accounts in the UK. I heard from my uncle that when my cousin tried to set up an account last year they told her she would have to pay a monthly administration fee. Also it took almost a week for the application to process. I am aware that banks there are nothing like our singaporean efficiency but can anyone advise on the wait time and the administration fee for the banks? also which would be a better choice? lloyds or HSBC? thanks.

Hey I read that you're heading to Bristol? I'm from Singapore might be heading there too if I don't hear back from Warwick. Well, I'm studying in the UK right now and for the banks, it depends. I would recommend HSBC, but they do have a £8/month charge for the international student account.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question: Do we go for medical checkup before or after we apply for a Visa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monchouchou)
    Just a quick question: Do we go for medical checkup before or after we apply for a Visa?
    Unsure. I thought I needed to, and I did go for one, but when I talked to an NHS nurse recently, she said that I didn't need to.

However, I would go for what the British Council in Singapore says for this year.

Oh and er. Don't bother getting immunisations if you want them in SG. You can get it for free in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    Unsure. I thought I needed to, and I did go for one, but when I talked to an NHS nurse recently, she said that I didn't need to.

However, I would go for what the British Council in Singapore says for this year.

Oh and er. Don't bother getting immunisations if you want them in SG. You can get it for free in the UK.
    Thanks so much! My mom works in healthcare and she mentioned that there are already people going for checkups. I had no idea when do I even need to go for mine!:lolwut: Guess I'll be giving the council a call soon. Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    For my year it was supposed to be chest X rays and Hep A jab.

*But seems a bit silly, considering I've flown in and out of the UK a few times now and the airport staff has never asked me to show them my health status....

Of course, interestingly, South East Asia is the region where if you're travelling there from the UK, you should be immunised against stuff like Hepatitis, Malaria, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys sorry for butting in !

Nice to see you all. I'm from your neighbour country Malaysia. Well actually I'm an Indian national but I was born in Malaysia, but I'm not a Malaysian citizen. Anyways..... I just wanted to ask ppl on TSR what they think of NUS. I don't know much about NUS, all I know is that its in Singapore =.=. I want to know what the real NUS is. How the people are there, the environment etc. etc. because I've applied for NUS to study Mathematics/Physics there. I have conditional offers from Imperial and UCL and KCL, but no scholarship so cannot go It just leaves NUS. So yea. Tell me more about NUS pls. A lot of my Singaporean friends hate the notion of NUS, I don't seem to understand why. If it helps, my A Level grades are A*A*AAa

ReputationRep:
    Um. Good luck for Math/Physics? I know there's a bell curve there, and for subjects that are very quantitative based, it's hard to achieve a 1st. Harder than the UK, where at Warwick, I just need a 71% for a First, and this is regardless of whether the entire cohort scores above 71% or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    Hey guys sorry for butting in !

Nice to see you all. I'm from your neighbour country Malaysia. Well actually I'm an Indian national but I was born in Malaysia, but I'm not a Malaysian citizen. Anyways..... I just wanted to ask ppl on TSR what they think of NUS. I don't know much about NUS, all I know is that its in Singapore =.=. I want to know what the real NUS is. How the people are there, the environment etc. etc. because I've applied for NUS to study Mathematics/Physics there. I have conditional offers from Imperial and UCL and KCL, but no scholarship so cannot go It just leaves NUS. So yea. Tell me more about NUS pls. A lot of my Singaporean friends hate the notion of NUS, I don't seem to understand why. If it helps, my A Level grades are A*A*AAa
    NUS is a decent school! but there a reason why we ranked highly on int mix
    if imperial etc wants you just go for it , if you can scrap money out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    Um. Good luck for Math/Physics? I know there's a bell curve there, and for subjects that are very quantitative based, it's hard to achieve a 1st. Harder than the UK, where at Warwick, I just need a 71% for a First, and this is regardless of whether the entire cohort scores above 71% or not.
    Oh I see. Bell Curve is it. Hrm. it must be quite hard then

(Original post by boucy)
    NUS is a decent school! but there a reason why we ranked highly on int mix
    if imperial etc wants you just go for it , if you can scrap money out
    Yea I know. But I just can't afford Imperial. Its too expensive for me. And as an international student, not singaporean nor malay, its impossible to find any scholarships for Imperial.

ReputationRep:
    I think NUS is highly respectable actually, especially now with the university scholars programme.

And I need to ask a question too. I'm hoping to stir up some debate on this one cause I'm sure there are some aspects of this I've forgotten: any disadvantages with doing MB/PhD at Cambridge? I think I'll probably come back to Singapore to practice as a clinician scientist...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 30160775)
    I think NUS is highly respectable actually, especially now with the university scholars programme.

And I need to ask a question too. I'm hoping to stir up some debate on this one cause I'm sure there are some aspects of this I've forgotten: any disadvantages with doing MB/PhD at Cambridge? I think I'll probably come back to Singapore to practice as a clinician scientist...
    actually the USP has been in for a long time
    tin pei lin the new PAP candidate is from usp
    but i find the new liberal arts college as interesting

that perhaps you should look around hospital website. From what i know practicing medical doctor can only work in singapore if they from certain uni and hit certain criteria if you aint in the list

ReputationRep:
    Alas, I have been misinformed! This German lady told me yesterday that the USP was new and I was so impressed.

I'm not too worried about the being able to practice in Singapore part, since Cambridge medics are pretty much accepted here once they come back. Can there be anything wrong with committing yourself to a 9-year course?

ReputationRep:
    I think USP is quite old edi.

But yea, degree from cambridge should be recognised everywhere, let alone in Singapore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    I think USP is quite old edi.

But yea, degree from cambridge should be recognised everywhere, let alone in Singapore
    true but you know how is it in Singapore ! like for example many great law program in United States is not "allowed" in Singapore for bar. So no harm checking

so some weird rule you have to achieve like maybe needing to work and pass the awarding country test rather then in SG etc

beside in this time and ages checking it out is just few clicks away. no harm , afterall yale law school programm is considered a dud for SG bar

ReputationRep:
    Checked! Seems to be okay for Cambridge. I get scared just thinking of red tape and documents to fill in.

I was actually more afraid of hating myself halfway through a 9-year course when I see everyone getting on with their lives and I'm still stuck studying.

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.

Just received a conditional offer from University of Manchester to read Accounting & Finance. The term is: IELTS 6.5 overall and no lower than 6 in any component.

I thought that students from Singapore need not take IELTS since our methods and standard of assessment are acceptable in the UK? They asked for my English qualifications twice before giving me a conditional offer, which on both occasions, I gladly email-ed them my A & O level grades for verification.

I got an A2 for English lang in O levels and a B for General Paper in A levels.

Please advise!!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.