Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    CONFLICT POEMS

What will come up for higher?

Tips for A*?????????????

ReputationRep:
    have a feeling something like attitudes to women will come up in character and voice comparing les grands seigneurs and the river god

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    No problem, I'm doing Character and voice. You?
    Same :/ I haven't even revised much I'm so dead ;( what comparisons are u thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1D - Belieber)
    Same :/ I haven't even revised much I'm so dead ;( what comparisons are u thinking of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know right! I concentrated to much on prose I suck at comparisons, it takes me ages to choose a poem. To be honest I don't have any ideas, but out of all the predicted poems on this thread, I hope The River God comes up

ReputationRep:
    Lol I always get this feeling like I know how to set it out so what's there to revise tbh idgi even for unit 1 I didn't do much revision at home well I did but the whole time I was like ik all this this is just bull why am I wasting my time and in the exam I kinda knew what to talk about and even for this it just feels same :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys, did we have to write about structure? I done it for inspector calls, but completely forgot about of Mice and Men!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    my exam for gcse anthology moon on the tides conflict section is in 2 days and I am kind of prepared but I'm struggling with the comparison question.
    Any tips
    thanks

also I have applied for Lang and lit in sixth form and I need a B grade, I have got a B in my mr pip and inspector calls exam but a high c in my coursework, what do I need to get in this exam to get a B overall
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    hello

ReputationRep:
    chat gris what a ironic name

ReputationRep:
    CAN I GET SOME HELP REGARDING THE POEMS MOST LIKELY TO COME UP FOR CHARACTER AND VOICE:

Les Grands Seigneurs
    Case history: Alison (Head Injury)
    Horse Whisperer
    WHAT ELSE!!!

ALSO PLEASE CAN SOMEONE POST A LIST OF ALL THE POEMS THAT HAVE ALREADY COME UP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    I know right! I concentrated to much on prose I suck at comparisons, it takes me ages to choose a poem. To be honest I don't have any ideas, but out of all the predicted poems on this thread, I hope The River God comes up
    Well All the other named poems have come up apart from Portrait of a Deaf Man, Casehistory, River God and LGS so it will proably I'm guessing be one of these at least I think

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for the poems that may come up in Relationships cluster?
    Which ones have come up in the past papers?

ReputationRep:
    CAN SOMEONE HELP ME WITH RIVER GOD!!! What are the key themes because i cant get my head around it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatGirlx)
    Any predictions for the poems that may come up in Relationships cluster?
    Which ones have come up in the past papers?
    Quickdraw and Praise Song for My Mother were the most recent ones, June 2012 last year. The Manhunt, Nettles, Harmonium and Sonnet 43 have all come up before..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by button.)
    I think it gave the quote "Ralph wept for the end of innocence", and asked how you responded to the end of the novel and what was Golding trying to portray? (Sorry that that's not the exact wording). I did this question but pretty much no one else from my school did, and I'm worried about what I wrote - I just picked out innocence, and then talked about innocence in the novel:/ what dd you write?
    Ahhh thats so good thank you! I swear i saw it say something about a naval officer?
    i suppose its not a bad thing not many people did this question!
    that sounds good, i wrote:

How the rescue by the naval officer was ironic- the pure descriptions of him and his uniform contrast the boys, and its ironic as he is fighting in just as a brutal war. Also about how he commented on it as "fun and games" when it really wasnt

I said about the fire- how this was also ironic. Initially fire is key for 'rescue' as ralph says- however they light the fire in intention to kill ralph, but end up getting rescued after all

I then said how he wept for innoocence, he reflects on his actions and how he contains innate evil (goldings message). I said how he can be viewed to be responsible for the savagery on island - he makes Piggy a target early on by telling the boys his nicknames

Hope this helps x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MonMon)
    Quickdraw and Praise Song for My Mother were the most recent ones, June 2012 last year. The Manhunt, Nettles, Harmonium and Sonnet 43 have all come up before..
    Ahh okay thankss
    Do you have any idea on how to structure your answer for the Unseen poetry section?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elishaclark2)
    Well, Neighbours, Hard water, London, Below the Green Corrie, Wind and Storm in the Black Forest have all come up before!
    I predict it will be Price we pay for the sun or The Blackbird of Glanmore (well, I hope it's them!)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh i hope its blackbird! but not prelude, moment or crossing the loch!:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1996)
    Ahhh thats so good thank you! I swear i saw it say something about a naval officer?
    i suppose its not a bad thing not many people did this question!
    that sounds good, i wrote:

How the rescue by the naval officer was ironic- the pure descriptions of him and his uniform contrast the boys, and its ironic as he is fighting in just as a brutal war. Also about how he commented on it as "fun and games" when it really wasnt

I said about the fire- how this was also ironic. Initially fire is key for 'rescue' as ralph says- however they light the fire in intention to kill ralph, but end up getting rescued after all

I then said how he wept for innoocence, he reflects on his actions and how he contains innate evil (goldings message). I said how he can be viewed to be responsible for the savagery on island - he makes Piggy a target early on by telling the boys his nicknames

Hope this helps x
    I don't think the question specifically said the naval officer, but it asked about the end of the novel, so writing about the naval officer was fine yeah, I'm going the fact that not many people did it will be to my advantage as well - it's easier for your answer to seem original!
    That sounds really good what you have written, mine was really different to that but hopefully still alright - I think the question was quite open and could have been taken in a number of different ways.

ReputationRep:
    can someone please explain River God and My Last Duchess to me please, I still cant get my head around them

ReputationRep:
    FOR ALL THOSE DOING THE RELATIONSHIPS CLUSTER:

The four poems that haven't yet come up are Sonnet 116, Ghazal, Born Yesterday and Coy Mistress. I believe the most likely ones to come up are going to be Sonnet 116 and Born Yesterday. When comparing the poetry you need to cross reference between the two poems. I would recommend using the "peals" technique

P: Point
    E: Evidence
    A: Analyse
    L: Link to SMILE
    S: switch

So basically every other paragraph you alternate poems. Do 3 similarities and 3 differences for the 2 poems and use PEALS on each paragraph to answer. So in a paragraph you would state a point (eg: Sonnet 116 uses the theme of time to express love blah blah) use evidence by stating a short quote, analyse it(state what effect it has on the reader and basically how it makes the poetry work) Link to either structure, meaning etc (so "this is further supported by the structure of the poem") and switch by going on to the next paragraph and writing about a similarity or difference (similarly Coy Mistress also utilizes the theme of time to express desire.) Do 5 minutes planning for section A and then 6 minutes on each paragraph.

Links I would suggest would be Sonnet 116 and Hour, Coy Mistress and either Ghazak or In Paris With You, Born Yesterday and Nettles or Hour and Ghazal and Coy Mistress. I worked this out from a combination of my teacher, finding techniques on YouTube and doing some maths and common sense/looking at potential links myself haha. As far as unseen goes just read the poem twice and then analyse the structure, meaning, imagery, language and effect on the reader

Good luck everyone!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.