Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

15 August 2013 A-Level results: Discussion thread - results day is here! Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    This is what I'm thinking for one of my subjects - I'm pretty sure that I'll either get a B or an A*.
    Ooh. What subject?

(Original post by MathsNerd1)
    Yeah I understand the concept however I resat one of the AS units purposely because I'd either get a B or A* so I wanted the possibility to get the A as well which hopefully will be the case
    Aaah, I'd laugh if you got low on the AS, and smashed the A2 and got the A*!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    Oh movie marathon all the way.:cool:

Movie marathon for me How about you?
    Are we all watching the same movies? :confused:

Me? I'm up for anything that'll pass the time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flowerii)
    Agh, christ on a bendy bus, this is terrifying!!
    Screw the five stages of grief, I think there are five stages of dealing with the run-up to results day;

1.) Denial - "It'll be fine. I'm sure it will be fine. I'm just panicking over nothing, I'm over-thinking this. That CHEM4 paper wasn't so bad. I'll be fine . . ."

2.) Anger - "**** YOU, AQA, EDEXCEL, OCR, WJEC!! WHY ARE YOU MAKING THIS SO DIFFICULT FOR ME?!?!?!! (Alternatively teachers, heads of 6th Form and admissions officers are acceptable entities to rage at). :rant:
    3.) Bargaining - "Please God/Allah/Buddha/almighty hedgehog that lives at the end of the garden - I will run naked up and down my street shouting 'I am King of the Badgers!' if it means I can get into my Firm."

:badger:
    4.) Depression - "It's over. My life is over. I'm doomed to living with my parents and pulling pints for the rest of my working life. I may as well take lessons from my cat how to properly waste a day, but knowing me, I'll fail that too." :lazy:
    5.) Acceptance - "**** this, who needs A-levels? I'm going to run away to Thailand for the Full Moon Party and become a diving instructor. :bong:
    I am currently at stage 3, I liked this a lot
    Also I read diving instructor as driving instructor, which now I've read it correctly would be a lot more fun...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannahb)
    It was horrible! Haha. And oh God, same! I hope I did ok on SZ because I totally messed up addiction! Can't wait to see the mark scheme on Weds
    Yeah, I hated addiction! I thought research methods was quite nice, though. Same! Can't wait for the panic to be over in general.

ReputationRep:
    That's fair enough and I hope you beat the current record which I must say is very impressive! My schools is very poor really and all the best for Thursday but if you don't get in then god knows who can!
    It's an insane record to try to beat; the girl achieved full UMS in 7 modules, 98 in 2, 97 in another 2 and 92 in the last. However, the most insane thing is that she was rejected from Oxford (Got into Warwick though with a 1 in STEP I) as her scores are the highest I've ever seen before.

Cheers, you too! We should both hopefully know at midnight though due to STEP, which could be both a blessing and a curse.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I'd rather just smash them both really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyHigh_er)
    AS how is the business econ module. I prefer macro over micro and we started the 3rd module at the end of year 12 and it's so boring for me at the moment. Does it get better?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say that Business economics is easier than the Unit 4 module, which I'd pre-warn now is ridiculously hard. I got AA in unit 1&2, then first time doing unit 3 & 4 in January I got C and a U. Lot of hard work ahead!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ChemistryChic)

I'm not sure about you but I'll be watching the bourne quadrilogy as I haven't seen it yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistryChic)

Well I have got a few...

Harry Potter

Lord of the rings

Back to the future

Paranormal activities.

Saw

Spiderman

All films with franchises and which are actually good... and long.

AND if by then I don't want to watch some of these possibly any cartoons which help you to go to happy world.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh. What subject?

History. The A* system is really weird

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the BS03 paper in June, just wondering how you guys felt and what do you think about the grade boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather just smash them both really
    Well of course :lol:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    History. The A* system is really weird
    It's a little silly imo, should be a little different I think!

ReputationRep:
    It's so quiet here compared to last year :moon:
    We've all preemptively died

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingdoo)
    I guess that it would have looked bad although if we could have broken up history I may not have panicked so much for the Summer exams. History is the only one I think may put me back and may be the deciding factor for my AS results as I thought psychology went really well and geography went above average. Although at A level it is impossible to predict what you may get. But if you got a C in January it must have relaxed you a bit for the summer especially since it was a very high C.

As for Leicester I agree with you I pretty much had no idea about it I didn't even know it was a good uni until I looked. I pretty much put into ucas course search Geography for AAB and Geography ABB as I thought ABB was my best bet and AAB if the examiners are magically in love with what I write in the exams. Leicester, UEA, Southampton, Sheffield and Lancaster were the ones I liked. My teacher said Keele and Swansea for lower grade options. I then looked at where they were in the rankings and then found out that Leicester was 16 and thought well maybe it will be good.
    I had the exact same experience with Biology. I wish we done the January exam for the first unit, would have made me a lot more calm when it came to the summer.
    Which exam board are you doing for Psychology?
    Yeah, getting a C did relax me a little bit as I knew that even if I got a high D in the summer exam, I could still get a C overall!

Haha! Well, I hope you get the grades needed for Leicester! I'm sure you will as it seems like you're a hard worker .
    I need AAB for Law there, I don't think I'll be able to get that but due to the course being over subscribed, that's the lowest I can go for the good universities. The majority are asking for AAA or A*AA .

Also, the only downside I think about Leicester is the heating and hot water hours and also that in catered accommodation, you have to clear out your room during the holidays .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Etoile)
    We've all preemptively died
    Please say that in French and Italian (not German)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DJMayes)
    It's an insane record to try to beat; the girl achieved full UMS in 7 modules, 98 in 2, 97 in another 2 and 92 in the last. However, the most insane thing is that she was rejected from Oxford (Got into Warwick though with a 1 in STEP I) as her scores are the highest I've ever seen before.

Cheers, you too! We should both hopefully know at midnight though due to STEP, which could be both a blessing and a curse.
    That is absolutely insane! I know the person with our record didn't get any module below 95 which was last year and he applied to Cambridge to study medicine but got rejected and sent them an angry letter to complain about getting rejected, it was incredibly funny when he sent it. :laugh: And thanks, yeah we'll know at midnight which will at least give me plenty of time to sort out the stuff I'll need for the next day

ReputationRep:
    Almost 4 days to go :afraid::afraid:

On the other hand, Breaking Bad is continuing very soon, hopefully that will distract me somewhat :awesome:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I am the one who knocks.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well of course :lol:
    I don't think I'd shut up about it if that was the case but I'm going for something that's more realistic really

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd shut up about it if that was the case but I'm going for something that's more realistic really
    :lol: can't wait to hear from you guys for your results!

ReputationRep:
    Movie marathon for me How about you?
    I'm thinking of doing a Movie marathon as well but not quite sure which one. Are you going to watch a variety of movies or just a complete set like Harry potter? I was thinking of doing Harry Potter but 19.6 hours I believe is quite long.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.