f:DCf : D \rightarrow \mathbb{C}

and if f is holomorophic and

zD,f(z)=0\forall z \in D, f'(z)=0

then

f=constant f= constant

What is D?
Original post by Hodor
What is D?

I assume it's any domain in the complex numbers on which f can de differentiable.
Reply 2362
Original post by james22
I assume it's any domain in the complex numbers on which f can de differentiable.

Then I don't think it's true.
Original post by Hodor
Then I don't think it's true.

..Really? If you have a real function f:RR f:\mathbb{R} \mapsto \mathbb{R} which was differentiable everywhere, and ff'=0 everywhere, wouldn't you believe that was constant?

You'd know this was constant, since the tangent to the curve of f is always parallel to the x axis - which only happens when f is constant. The above proposition says the same is true for complex functions; and by the definition of the complex derivative, it should appeal to intuition that it is 'obviously true', as any straight line in the complex plane behaves like the real line in terms of differentiation (i.e. R\mathbb{R} is not really a special line for differentiability; complex derivatives must exist and be equal in all possible paths of approach).
Reply 2364
Original post by FireGarden
..Really? If you have a real function f:RR f:\mathbb{R} \mapsto \mathbb{R} which was differentiable everywhere, and ff'=0 everywhere, wouldn't you believe that was constant?

You'd know this was constant, since the tangent to the curve of f is always parallel to the x axis - which only happens when f is constant. The above proposition says the same is true for complex functions; and by the definition of the complex derivative, it should appeal to intuition that it is 'obviously true', as any straight line in the complex plane behaves like the real line in terms of differentiation (i.e. R\mathbb{R} is not really a special line for differentiability; complex derivatives must exist and be equal in all possible paths of approach).

In the real case, let A = (-1,0) u (1,2). Then I can think of a non-constant function f: A -> R with f' = 0...
Original post by Hodor
In the real case, let A = (-1,0) u (1,2). Then I can think of a non-constant function f: A -> R with f' = 0...

True, I think D should also be connected.
Most probably DD is the open 2-disk (and, if so, the proof is immediate).
Original post by Mladenov
Most probably DD is the open 2-disk (and, if so, the proof is immediate).

What if it is something more unusual? I guess the proof for convex domains is just the same as in the real case, but what about concave domains? Thinking about it geometrically I think it is true but the proof is not as obvious.
Original post by Hodor

Oh, sure! .. please excuse the evident jadedness from always being told D is a domain!

Anyway, some more 'different' maths. Group theory!

Problem 373***

Let GG be a group, which acts on the set XX.

Suppose x,yXx,y \in X have the same orbit. Prove that their stabilisers are conjugates (i.e. gG:Gy=gGxg1)\exists g\in G : G_y = gG_xg^{-1})

Problem 374***

How many ways can you colour the vertices of a square using at most three colours, which are distinct under the action of D8D_8? (i.e. colourings which cannot be obtained from another by rotations or reflections)
Reply 2369

Anyway, some more 'different' maths. Group theory!

Problem 373***

Let GG be a group, which acts on the set XX.

Suppose x,yXx,y \in X have the same orbit. Prove that their stabilisers are conjugates (i.e. gG:Gy=gGxg1)\exists g\in G : G_y = gG_xg^{-1})

Finally, some Algebra.

Solution 373

Simple.

From the definition of an orbit, if x,yx, y lie in the same orbit, then, there exists a gGg \in G that acts on x x such that, gx=yx=g1ygx=y \Rightarrow x= g^{-1}y .

Now, suppose,

aGx,ax=x[br][br]gax=gx=yga(g1y)=y[br][br]gag1y=ygag1Gy a \in G_x, \Rightarrow ax= x [br][br]\Rightarrow gax = gx = y \Rightarrow ga(g^{-1}y)= y [br][br]\Rightarrow gag^{-1}y=y \Rightarrow gag^{-1} \in G_y .

Therefore, we have, gGxg1Gy g G_x g^{-1} \subset G_y .

However, repeating the steps above using g1y=x g^{-1}y=x , we have,

bGyg1bgGx[br][br]g1GygGx[br][br]GygGxg1 b \in G_y \Rightarrow g^{-1}bg \in G_x [br][br]\Rightarrow g^{-1}G_yg \subset G_x[br][br]\Rightarrow G_y \subset g G_x g^{-1} .

And so, by symmetry, we can assert that, Gy=gGxg1 G_y = g G_x g^{-1} .
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Hodor
X

Original post by james22
X

X

Oops, as I had posted it from memory (came across it a long time ago), I made some mistakes in stating it. I'll consult the source and re-post it :smile:

Problem 374***

How many ways can you colour the vertices of a square using at most three colours, which are distinct under the action of D8D_8? (i.e. colourings which cannot be obtained from another by rotations or reflections)

Solution 376

Let SS be the set of colorings of the vertices.
Firstly, observe that two colorings are essentially distinct (i.e. distinct under the action of the dihedral 8 group) if they belong to different orbits of D8D_{8} in SS.
Hence, we shall be done if we manage to find the number of orbits of D8D_{8} in the set of colorings.
The following result is easily proved (counting in two ways, Lang's Algebra, ect.)

Proposition:

Let GG be a finite group acting on a finite set XX, and α(g)\alpha(g) is the number of elements xXx \in X such that πg(x)=x\pi_{g}(x) = x. Then the number of orbits of GG in XX is 1card(G)gGα(g)\displaystyle \frac{1}{card (G)}\sum_{g \in G} \alpha(g).

Since the representative does not matter, we have tGs1card(Gt)=1\displaystyle \sum_{t \in Gs} \frac{1}{card(Gt)} =1 and hence the number of orbits of GG in XX is xX1card(Gx)\displaystyle \sum_{x \in X} \frac{1}{card(Gx)}.
Fix xXx \in X. Notice that there is a bijection G/GxGxG/G_{x} \sim Gx, call this (1)(1). Also, the number of gGg \in G such that πg(x)=x\pi_{g}(x)=x is the order of GxG_{x}.

We count the number of solutions (x,g)(x,g) to the equation πg(x)=x\pi_{g}(x)=x in two ways.

One the one hand, there are α(g)\alpha(g) elements xXx \in X such that πg(x)=x\pi_{g}(x)=x. On the other hand, each gGg \in G is counted α(g)\alpha(g) times by the sum xXcard(Gx)\displaystyle \sum_{x \in X} card(G_{x}) since there are α(g)\alpha(g) xx's in XX such that πg(x)=x\pi_{g}(x)=x. Thus xXcard(Gx)=gGα(g)\displaystyle \sum_{x \in X} card(G_{x}) = \sum_{g \in G} \alpha(g); call this (2)(2).
Hence, by (1)(1) and (2)(2), we obtain the result.

We can interpret the elements of D8D_{8} as products of cycles.

Second Proposition (too general):

Let π\pi be a product of mm cycles (counting cycles of length 11). Then the number of colorings fixed by π\pi is nmn^{m}, where nn is the number of available colors.

Although, we do not need it, I write it in case someone is interested.

For our problem, it is sufficient to note that the vertices in a given cycle have the same color.
Thus, if nn colors are available, there are 18(n4+n+n2+n2+n+n3+n3+n2)\frac{1}{8}(n^{4}+n+n^{2}+n^{2}+n+n^{3}+n^{3}+n^{2}) essentially distinct colorings, since the elements are ee, [1,2,3,4][1,2,3,4], [1,2][3,4][1,2][3,4], [1,3][2,4][1,3][2,4], [1,4,3,2][1,4,3,2], [1][3][2,4][1][3][2,4], [1,3][2][4][1,3][2][4], [1,4][2,3][1,4][2,3].

Spoiler

As a side note, we have a problem with the numeration of the problems. It starts with Indeterminate's problem 372.

Basic commutative algebra.

Problem 377***

Prove that if MM is an n×nn \times n matrix over a local ring, with coefficients in the maximal ideal JJ, then J+MJ+M is invertible.

Problem 378***

If f:AAf : A \to A is a surjective endomorphism of a Noetherian ring AA, then ff is an isomorphism.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lord of the Flies
Solution 10

xπ2x0π2sin17xdxsin17x+cos17x=0π2cos17xdxsin17x+cos17x\displaystyle x\to \frac{\pi}{2}-x\Rightarrow \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\sin^{17} x\,dx}{\sin^{17} x+\cos^{17} x}= \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \frac{\cos^{17} x\,dx}{\sin^{17} x+\cos^{17} x}

Hence I=120π2dx=π4\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}} dx=\frac{\pi}{4}

Sorry, probably my maths skills have gotten rusty - I can't understand the part after "hence...". I is cos17xdxsin17x+cos17x\dfrac{\cos^{17} x\,dx}{\sin^{17} x+\cos^{17} x}, but how does that become 12dx\frac{1}{2}\int dx? :s-smilie:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Zishi
Sorry, probably my maths skills have gotten rusty - I can't understand the part after "hence...". I is cos17xdxsin17x+cos17x\dfrac{\cos^{17} x\,dx}{\sin^{17} x+\cos^{17} x}, but how does that become 12dx\frac{1}{2}\int dx? :s-smilie:

You have 2 experssions for I, one has sine terms on the top and the other cas cos terms. By adding them you get (sin^17+cos^17)/(sin^17+cos^17)=1 so 2I=1
Original post by james22
You have 2 experssions for I, one has sine terms on the top and the other cas cos terms. By adding them you get (sin^17+cos^17)/(sin^17+cos^17)=1 so 2I=1

Ahh, great! :grin: Many thanks.
Reply 2375
Problem 379 **

How many subsets of {1,2,...,50}\{1,2,...,50\} are there such that the sum of the elements exceeds 637637?

Is this possible to generalise?
Original post by henpen
Problem 379 **

How many subsets of {1,2,...,50}\{1,2,...,50\} are there such that the sum of the elements exceeds 637637?

As for each set, there is a reverse set. As 637 is slightly less than half of the sum of numbers from 1 to 50(637.5), for each pair of sets, one of them is going to satisfy the condition. So it is half of all sets, namely 2^49, 562949953421312.
Problem 380*

sinxcos2x\displaystyle\int sinxcos2x dxdx

Would this be considered as trivial?
Original post by henpen
Problem 379 **

It can be generalized. We have to consider two cases - n(n+1)2(mod2)\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)}{2} \pmod 2.

Original post by Arieisit
Problem 380*

sinxcos2x\displaystyle\int sinxcos2x dxdx

Would this be considered as trivial?

What do you think? Using sinxcos2x=12(sin3xsinx)\displaystyle \sin x \cos 2x = \frac{1}{2}(\sin 3x - \sin x) and sinnxdx=1ncosnx+C\displaystyle \int \sin nx dx = -\frac{1}{n} \cos nx + C, we are done.
It can be generalized. We have to consider two cases - n(n+1)2(mod2)\displaystyle \frac{n(n+1)}{2} \pmod 2.

What do you think? Using sinxcos2x=12(sin3xsinx)\displaystyle \sin x \cos 2x = \frac{1}{2}(\sin 3x - \sin x) and sinnxdx=1ncosnx+C\displaystyle \int \sin nx dx = -\frac{1}{n} \cos nx + C, we are done.

I only just noticed the problem and thought "oh, I can finally solve a problem on here". Too late though :tongue:

Spoiler

(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest