Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    What so anyone who doesnt make the 7 hour journey up to Newcastle is an armchair fan? head's gone mate.

Been hearing this nonsense from Spurs fans my whole life. If you couldnt finish above Arsenal in the last 2 seasons when were right at the bottom of a cycle then itll never happen.

He looks much better when you see him live, some of the little runs he makes are good and he brings others into the game pretty well. Problem is that you never fancy him to bury a chance and he hasnt impressed against the big clubs. Happy to have him as a rotation option but we need someone a bit more clinical and skillful up front. Still cant believe Wenger got 25m for Adebayor, did Mark Hughes up good and proper.
    Tbh I'd be able to mug mark hughes off if I really wanted to. :lol: if I do a few saves in goal I could get myself a 20k contract.

ReputationRep:
    What so anyone who doesnt make the 7 hour journey up to Newcastle is an armchair fan? head's gone mate.

Been hearing this nonsense from Spurs fans my whole life. If you couldnt finish above Arsenal in the last 2 seasons when were right at the bottom of a cycle then itll never happen.

He looks much better when you see him live, some of the little runs he makes are good and he brings others into the game pretty well. Problem is that you never fancy him to bury a chance and he hasnt impressed against the big clubs. Happy to have him as a rotation option but we need someone a bit more clinical and skillful up front. Still cant believe Wenger got 25m for Adebayor, did Mark Hughes up good and proper.
    I still can't believe we got £24m for Nasri tbfh, the guy had three good months. Apart from that he's such an average player it's unreal. All he does is pass the ball back, doesn't have the pace to take on a full back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    I still can't believe we got £24m for Nasri tbfh, the guy had three good months. Apart from that he's such an average player it's unreal. All he does is pass the ball back, doesn't have the pace to take on a full back.
    Yeah pretty much agree. Hes clearly capable of top performances but hes much too inconsistent and lacks the mentality to maintain that level. Wasnt too upset with losing him for the price we got. Problem is that we should have reinvested straight into Mata but we ****ed about too much.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah pretty much agree. Hes clearly capable of top performances but hes much too inconsistent and lacks the mentality to maintain that level. Wasnt too upset with losing him for the price we got. Problem is that we should have reinvested straight into Mata but we ****ed about too much.
    Yeah we could've got Mata for £18m, such a shame. Him, Cazorla and Wilshere together would have been something special. Going to be interesting seeing who we sign this summer. I think Wenger knows there is an opportunity for us to challenge for the title, he just needs to sign the right players, none of this £10m unknown player from Ligue 1. First thing we need to do is sign a top striker. Some players that I think have gone under the radar are Martinez at Porto and Soldado at Valencia. The latter in particular seems like a typical Wenger signing to me.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea made the pl better?

:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Am I reading this right? Chelsea made the PL more competitive? Fergie signed players because of Chelsea?

Am. I. Reading. This. Right?
    2bf Fergie did say that the challenge brought by Mourinhos Chelsea meant Man Utd had to change and up there levels and that contributed to their European success in 2008- and then said that team was his most talented.

I'll find the exact quote later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonstudent1)
    2bf Fergie did say that the challenge brought by Mourinhos Chelsea meant Man Utd had to change and up there levels and that contributed to their European success in 2008- and then said that team was his most talented.

I'll find the exact quote later on.
    Do you not realise though what that did as a result? Teams that probably stood a chance to build a unit of players to compete against the top tier just lost all hope because they couldn't afford the wages that went up artificially. So yes Man Utd's team may have benefitted from the competition but other teams that deserved to compete by using the cash generated naturally were unable to because it was no longer a level playing field.

When are you Chelsea/Man City fans going to understand that? Its really not a hard concept. You dump money suddenly into something it affects the price of everything else- in this case the footballer's wages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jibberish)
    Do you not realise though what that did as a result? Teams that probably stood a chance to build a unit of players to compete against the top tier just lost all hope because they couldn't afford the wages that went up artificially. So yes Man Utd's team may have benefitted from the competition but other teams that deserved to compete by using the cash generated naturally were unable to because it was no longer a level playing field.

When are you Chelsea/Man City fans going to understand that? Its really not a hard concept. You dump money suddenly into something it affects the price of everything else- in this case the footballer's wages.
    I do realise all of that, I wasn't arguing against it. And I'm a Leicester City fan lol My point is that the they have improved the quality of the premiership and made it more competitive at the top end. Im not saying that what they have done is right or good for the majority of the teams in the premiership.

ReputationRep:
    DENCH

ReputationRep:
    I do realise all of that, I wasn't arguing against it. And I'm a Leicester City fan lol My point is that the they have improved the quality of the premiership and made it more competitive at the top end. Im not saying that what they have done is right or good for the majority of the teams in the premiership.
    They only made it competitive due to their unprecedented financial power. Which team wouldn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think Walcott has done we'll this season, does he have 20 goals ?

He's certainly changed from being a fast winger who just ran the ball into a tight space and did nothing with it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diggy)
    I think Walcott has done we'll this season, does he have 20 goals ?

He's certainly changed from being a fast winger who just ran the ball into a tight space and did nothing with it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    over 20 in all competitions iirc with 14 in the league

ReputationRep:
    s
    This is going to blow out of proportion like in the last few pages, just leave it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    They only made it competitive due to their unprecedented financial power. Which team wouldn't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to start the argument again. But what you are saying is basically what I have said in the past few pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Am I reading this right? Chelsea made the PL more competitive? Fergie signed players because of Chelsea?

Am. I. Reading. This. Right?
    (Original post by jam277)
    Not exactly. I'm saying chelsea made the PL more competitive in europe. Not saying that he signed them specifically because of chelsea. Saying that he got his team to improve because he had bigger competition from the likes of chelsea domestically. Because of our domestic success, united had more incentive to buy players.

E.g. last season do you think fergie would have bought RVP had city not won the title and wanted him as well? It's not like his strikers were doing poorly last season in relation to their gametime. Welbeck was improving, hernandez and berbatov didn't get much gametime as they would have liked but had a decent goal return.

It's a fact that the rise of chelsea also coincided with PL dominance in europe, do you agree with that? Simple question.
    It's also a fact that la liga has no money clubs at this moment in time, they also have little to no competition for the title bar two clubs, do you agree with that? The french league had little to no competition for the title in the 00s to 2010, do you agree with that?
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Whatever jams smoking I'd like some. Absolutely ridiculous argument.
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    This is getting really boring now. Jam I dunno why you're taking it all so personally and getting so vexed. You must KNOW that everybody hates Chelsea? Just move on.
    Lol the cluelessness of you lot amazes me:yy:. Jam is spot on because we did improve due to the rise of Chelsea... If we won the league, or if anyone wins the league by 20 points they aren't gonna go out and buy a ton of players cos they obviously don't need to. Chelsea winning the league a few times meant that SAF had to strengthen his squad, which he did with the likes of Tevez and Berbatov. This in turn lead to other clubs having to strengthen to keep up with everyone else, a knock-on effect, just look how close the PL is (at the bottom obviously) which shows the difference between a relegated club and a mid-table club is pretty marginal. This is due to increased competition, which was as a result of more clubs coming into it. And i don't hate Chelsea, they're one of my favourite clubs as they play exciting foorball.

Don't care if you neg me butt-hurt Arsenal fans, don't whine about other clubs paying too much for players as you could do the exact same thing. Also the fans that booed RVP are a disgrace, if you were offered a promotion with a pay-rise away from a organisation you had worked for for 8/9 years are you saying you wouldn't move? We don't boo CR7, and RVP showed you the ultimate respect and you threw it back in his face. You and Liverpool always whining about Chelsea's sugar daddy, maybe if you didn't waste money on average players like Giroud, Park Choo Young, Andy Carroll and bought genuine WORLD-CLASS players you wouldn't be in the position you are. I swear you've been talking about you're academy coming through with huge talent, the ironic thing is look at the youngsters we produce at United- Cleverley, Welbeck etc. Now Jam tells it like it is you're about to cry- that's why you'll never win anything with you're current mentality- that is to secure top 4 foorball and get past the group stages of CL, and apparently Chelsea are the ''Mickey mouse cup holders" even though they are the ones representing us, Britain, on the European stage and they are the ones with silverware in their trophy cabinet at the end of the day.

Like i said, neg me all you want i don't care, look at my rep bar anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheetahs56)
    Lol the cluelessness of you lot amazes me:yy:. Jam is spot on because we did improve due to the rise of Chelsea... If we won the league, or if anyone wins the league by 20 points they aren't gonna go out and buy a ton of players cos they obviously don't need to. Chelsea winning the league a few times meant that SAF had to strengthen his squad, which he did with the likes of Tevez and Berbatov. This in turn lead to other clubs having to strengthen to keep up with everyone else, a knock-on effect, just look how close the PL is (at the bottom obviously) which shows the difference between a relegated club and a mid-table club is pretty marginal. This is due to increased competition, which was as a result of more clubs coming into it. And i don't hate Chelsea, they're one of my favourite clubs as they play exciting foorball.

Don't care if you neg me butt-hurt Arsenal fans, don't whine about other clubs paying too much for players as you could do the exact same thing. Also the fans that booed RVP are a disgrace, if you were offered a promotion with a pay-rise away from a organisation you had worked for for 8/9 years are you saying you wouldn't move? We don't boo CR7, and RVP showed you the ultimate respect and you threw it back in his face. You and Liverpool always whining about Chelsea's sugar daddy, maybe if you didn't waste money on average players like Giroud, Park Choo Young, Andy Carroll and bought genuine WORLD-CLASS players you wouldn't be in the position you are. I swear you've been talking about you're academy coming through with huge talent, the ironic thing is look at the youngsters we produce at United- Cleverley, Welbeck etc. Now Jam tells it like it is you're about to cry- that's why you'll never win anything with you're current mentality- that is to secure top 4 foorball and get past the group stages of CL, and apparently Chelsea are the ''Mickey mouse cup holders" even though they are the ones representing us, Britain, on the European stage and they are the ones with silverware in their trophy cabinet at the end of the day.

Where do you even begin an argument if everything said is complete bull****?! We can't afford the wages that Chelsea or Man City pay and that is a fact so don't pretend like wages don't matter. We have a huge transfer budget for next season but that alone will never land us a player who demands 150k+ a week. Why on earth did you even bring up Andy Carroll? Doesn't even have anything to do with Arsenal. Ill agree to one problem we have at this club and that is the way the wages are distributed..players are paid similar amounts whether good or bad and that does mean we have a lot free riders e.g. Squillachi. That is a philosophy that Wenger has stood by though and he's adapting by paying more to more deserved players like Walcott.

Forget the wages even, its a disgrace that clubs like Chelsea and Man City are allowed to buy so many players and then loan them off elsewhere. This means that those players loaned out cannot play against them and effectively puts them at an advantage. I could keep on going about whats wrong with policies of Chelsea and Man City but really I don't think there is much point to it now since you guys just seem adamant about all the good they have brought to the league.

Also the RVP situation and Ronaldo is vastly different. Ronaldo left to join a club that wasn't even in this country whereas RVP went to our nearest rival in England. Just so you know as well, I'm not one of those who boos RVP although my respect for him has dropped massively due to the way he conducted himself after last season (the statement on his website).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    QPR

ReputationRep:

You know what, I see what you mean. Before Chelsea came along, SAF never bothered with signing players. Oh wait.

Stopped reading after the first line tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Reckon it'll be 50-50 with the neg rep-pos rep in this post.

Don't waste your time mate this whole thing wasted half my day.

ReputationRep:
    Hey fellow arsenal fans, any of you that play fifa 13 ultimate team check my thread out here, cheers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post42655697

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.