Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Best uni for sports science in Scotland? Glasgow, stirling or edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBCC in my highers this year (S5), but the minimum requirements for a conditional offer at Glasgow (in MA Politics) is ABBB. Do My 2 C's make up for the extra B I missed out on, and if so, what do you think ( if I do get an offer) the conditions of an offer could be?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SU15)
    Best uni for sports science in Scotland? Glasgow, stirling or edinburgh.
    You may want to take a look at the uni forums where you'll be able to find and ask others at those universities about them!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robertscott1997)
    I got ABBCC in my highers this year (S5), but the minimum requirements for a conditional offer at Glasgow (in MA Politics) is ABBB. Do My 2 C's make up for the extra B I missed out on, and if so, what do you think ( if I do get an offer) the conditions of an offer could be?
    This is a fairly difficult thing to cool as you have done an extra one - the best thing to do would be the call up the university and speak to the admissions there directly. This way you'll know for sure exactly what they'll be looking for...

ReputationRep:
    A at higher maths or C at advanced higher maths?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely gutted. I just discovered that I scored 70/100 for Higher Chemistry (revised) and got a B.

71/100 would have give me an A resulting in AAAAA instead of AAAAB

:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borderer)
    Absolutely gutted. I just discovered that I scored 70/100 for Higher Chemistry (revised) and got a B.

Aw that's a kick in the teeth! I also got AAAAB and I don't even want to know what percentage I got in the B incase I was 1% off an A which would be horrible haha, are u allowed to write on your PS you were 1% off an A?:L I know that seems silly but it shows you are nearly capable!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borderer)

A girl was 1% off AAAAA in two subjects last year in my school and ended up with AAABB (so it could always be worse). Still some great results you got there!!

ReputationRep:
    I need advice. I didn't get accepted to university. My conditions for this year were B for higher maths, and B for higher Physics.

I ended up with a B for maths and a C for Physics

I undertook an engineering internship and I am still not going to be accepted, my prelim result for physics was a B! whilst I failed my maths prelim! what makes matters worse is that I found out today that I was four marks away from a B in physics!

In other words I am being refused entry into university over four marks really distraught right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iNeedHelpNao)
    A at higher maths or C at advanced higher maths?
    It depends on:

1. What you got this year (assuming your going into 6th year)
    2. What course(s) you are applying for
    3. What universities you are applying for

An A at higher is better for applying to a Scottish university, as that is the level they expect of their first year students. However for some courses they may advise that you do AH. As I said, it depends.

ReputationRep:
    I'm absolutely gutted with my grades. I only got AABBC; much lower than I was predicted and certainly not enough to get me offers to do Law at Glasgow or Edinburgh as I had hoped to. I went into my school today to find out what my next steps should be and they basically just told me to give up all ambitions of studying Law. I'm now planning on studying AH English and History and H Geography and RMPS next year.

I was advised to look into English courses instead, but again, I certainly don't see me getting conditional offers from the universities I wanted to go to (Glasgow, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc.)

What can I do now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RD208)
    It depends on:

1. What you got this year (assuming your going into 6th year)
    2. What course(s) you are applying for
    3. What universities you are applying for

An A at higher is better for applying to a Scottish university, as that is the level they expect of their first year students. However for some courses they may advise that you do AH. As I said, it depends.
    I got the A last year at H and a C this year at AH.

i also did AH phyiscs and got an A

ReputationRep:
    I got the A last year at H and a C this year at AH.

i also did AH phyiscs and got an A
    Oh I see. Why do you ask then? Just curious?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RD208)
    Oh I see. Why do you ask then? Just curious?
    because Edinburgh's website says AH grade = H grade +1 but ucas gives you more points with a C at AH over an A at H so i was wondering what you lot thought :}

ReputationRep:
    because Edinburgh's website says AH grade = H grade +1 but ucas gives you more points with a C at AH over an A at H so i was wondering what you lot thought :}

UCAS points are strange for Highers and AH's and I'm not sure that many universities actually use them that much. Since your AH C is equivalent to a Higher B then the A you have at Higher must be the better one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Definitely in with a chance, so there's no harm in applying! Remember you've got 5 choices on UCAS, so can afford to take a few risks!
    Thanks btw can you tell me things I can do to improve my chances of getting in during gap year? I want to study economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Milk Thief)
    I'm absolutely gutted with my grades. I only got AABBC; much lower than I was predicted and certainly not enough to get me offers to do Law at Glasgow or Edinburgh as I had hoped to. I went into my school today to find out what my next steps should be and they basically just told me to give up all ambitions of studying Law. I'm now planning on studying AH English and History and H Geography and RMPS next year.

I was advised to look into English courses instead, but again, I certainly don't see me getting conditional offers from the universities I wanted to go to (Glasgow, St Andrews, Edinburgh etc.)

What can I do now?

You may not be interested, but just letting you know, you would definitely get a conditional to study law at strathclyde, probably of around BB at 2 additional highers. maybe something to look into

ReputationRep:
    Got 5 A's in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, English and Geography and couldn't be happier! Honestly cannot believe I got an A in English, is anyone feeling the same?

Before I sat my exams I really wanted to do Medicine at uni but once I say my exams I didn't believe I had done well enough and had not got good enough grades for Medicine.

However, now that I have got my 5 As I really wish I had focused on medicine. I have not yet sat the UKCAT but I have booked it for late in September. I also haven't had any work experience in the medical profession.

I honestly didn't believe I had done well enough so I flung the idea of medicine out the window.

Do you believe I have left it too late? Anything you would advise? I haven't started revision for the UKCAT, is it too late and do you think I'm being stupid?😂

PS My backstop is Chemical Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by :D')
    Guys what are your views on doing the Scottish baccalaureate in science. Is it any good?
    I am will be doing all 3 sciences at AH plus a higher in either business or pe
    I am hoping to do medicine with AAAAB
    Sorry just wondering.

Do you have any work experience for medicine and have you set a date for your ukcat? If so, how long have you been studying for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sTriggy)
    Got 5 A's in Maths, Chemistry, Physics, English and Geography and couldn't be happier! Honestly cannot believe I got an A in English, is anyone feeling the same?

Before I sat my exams I really wanted to do Medicine at uni but once I say my exams I didn't believe I had done well enough and had not got good enough grades for Medicine.

However, now that I have got my 5 As I really wish I had focused on medicine. I have not yet sat the UKCAT but I have booked it for late in September. I also haven't had any work experience in the medical profession.

I honestly didn't believe I had done well enough so I flung the idea of medicine out the window.

Do you believe I have left it too late? Anything you would advise? I haven't started revision for the UKCAT, is it too late and do you think I'm being stupid?😂

PS My backstop is Chemical Engineering.
    You haven't left it too late! Just make sure you organise some work experience so you have it on your personal statement and to ensure it's what you want to do! People get hung up over work experience, yes it's very important as you need to have an idea of what you're getting into, but someone with weeks of hospital work experience is not necessarily in a better position than someone with maybe 5-10 days, as they (unis) do understand it's difficult to get in without connections.

I'd advise you to try even getting a part time job as a Healthcare Assistant (in a care home or hospital) as that's what I've done for a year and it has been so so valuable not just for my application but for my people skills and life skills in general.

UKCAT is hard, but a month's preparation is more than enough. I wouldn't waste money on the £200 courses, get an online subscription to Medify and the UKCAT book and you'll sail it.

Good luck, it's a hard process to get in but it's totally worth it!

(Btw I'm starting uni next month as a medical student)

Ps well done on your results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.