The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Aww, of course no one would want to hit you my love. Now check your quotes - mwahahaha
That is evil! :laugh:
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
That is evil! :laugh:
Haha, I know
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well i've just seen that apparently the Libers are back... I must say i didn't see this coming at all (that is what i get for not going onto to skype for a couple of days). Personally i don't think it was the right decision at all. I joined months ago trying to help them out, but i failed because i didn't have enough time, there is no reason why a party should be created when all members will be dual.
talentedlobster
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
Well i've just seen that apparently the Libers are back... I must say i didn't see this coming at all (that is what i get for not going onto to skype for a couple of days). Personally i don't think it was the right decision at all. I joined months ago trying to help them out, but i failed because i didn't have enough time, there is no reason why a party should be created when all members will be dual.
Don't worry that happened for about 20 hours and then was stopped.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by talentedlobster)
Don't worry that happened for about 20 hours and then was stopped.
Ah ok, good.

It is a shame this sterling attempt at revival wasn't started when the party did exist.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as the right decisions are made by the government - that would only be possible in the Conservatives stay in power...

Tory/Lib Dem/UKIP/DUP coalition.
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JoeL1994)
Tory/Lib Dem/UKIP/DUP coalition.
I'm not sure the Lib Dems would join you on that. I think they'd sooner depose their leader and spend 5 years in glorious isolation.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
then we need to lower the wealth gap to improve social mobility... Basically we need Robin Hood taxes.

i am cautiously in favour of the later, so long as it doesn't turn into nazi Germany style segregation.
We need to tax the right people yes, but Robin Hood taxes would just encourage people to leave the UK and are not fair.

Managed by an independent multi-national committee with equal input from all the nation's in Europe it would allow asylum seekers the chance to rebuild their lives with a high quality of life afforded them by the nation they're situated in. An idea we agree on? Steps in the right direction I think :P
username1524603
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As long as the right decisions are made by the government - that would only be possible in the Conservatives stay in power...
I like to think a UKIP candidate, who is the nearest rival in a Labour safe seat, is a better addition to Parliament than the Labour MP who would be elected by voting Conservative when they have no chance of winning in the constituency.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)
I'm not sure the Lib Dems would join you on that. I think they'd sooner depose their leader and spend 5 years in glorious isolation.
Maybe not, but I think they have had an unfair deal with people overreacting to people on demands they couldn't deliver, while not actually ever promising they could be delivered.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Maybe not, but I think they have had an unfair deal with people overreacting to people on demands they couldn't deliver, while not actually ever promising they could be delivered.
You put it in the manifesto and its a promise. Not even the Lib Dems deny they broke promises.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You put it in the manifesto and its a promise. Not even the Lib Dems deny they broke promises.
That changes once you enter a coalition though. I have a lot of sympathy towards the LDs, I think if it came down to it they'd enter the coalition again.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That changes once you enter a coalition though. I have a lot of sympathy towards the LDs, I think if it came down to it they'd enter the coalition again.
Not really. They promised to vote against rises in tuition fees (to use just that example). They didn't need to be in government to fulfill that pledge. That's why there was an apology. No ifs, no buts they broke the pledge. Now they're only human but we should get the facts straight.

I think its very likely the Libs will be in coalition post-May just not with Blukip.
JoeL1994
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really. They promised to vote against rises in tuition fees (to use just that example). They didn't need to be in government to fulfill that pledge. That's why there was an apology. No ifs, no buts they broke the pledge. Now they're only human but we should get the facts straight.

I think its very likely the Libs will be in coalition post-May just not with Blukip.
Either way, they didn't stick to their word and it hurt them. I think they're not as anti-Tory as they're hinting, they believe in the success that the Tories have had, even if austerity has driven people to the left.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Either way, they didn't stick to their word and it hurt them. I think they're not as anti-Tory as they're hinting, they believe in the success that the Tories have had, even if austerity has driven people to the left.
I believe the public are right-wing but everyone likes free money and public services, so when a government tries controlling spending they obviously vote for the anti-austerity people no matter how unrealistic their promises are.
Midnightmemories
  • Study Helper
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Afternoon!
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I believe the public are right-wing but everyone likes free money and public services, so when a government tries controlling spending they obviously vote for the anti-austerity people no matter how unrealistic their promises are.
That reminds me of Rakas' theory that the country is Blairite.

Except yours sounds a bit contemptuous of the electorate.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
With British oil companies racing to drill the Falklands for oil I think we should be sending destroyers, submarines, and more aircraft to the region as protection. While Argentina promises to be peaceful I do not trust them or other South American countries, and it is never a bad thing to militarise the region more than we currently have done.
username1524603
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That reminds me of Rakas' theory that the country is Blairite.

Except yours sounds a bit contemptuous of the electorate.
I agree with Rakas on quite a few things. I distinctly remember presenting evidence to show a party could win a majority every time if they targeted the middle and upper classes with centre-right policies. This is the reason Labour was successful under Tony Blair, and why the Conservatives are equal with Labour heading into the election. Any votes Labour has is mostly a reflection of the public disliking austerity and not reflective of them leaning to the left. If the economy was like it was in 2007 before the crash and an election was upcoming, a Labour Party led by Ed with the same manifesto as today would be crushed. In short, during a recession or during the recovery stage after a recession the electorate can be easily bought by promising them other people's money.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
I agree with Rakas on quite a few things. I distinctly remember presenting evidence to show a party could win a majority every time if they targeted the middle and upper classes with centre-right policies. This is the reason Labour was successful under Tony Blair, and why the Conservatives are equal with Labour heading into the election. Any votes Labour has is mostly a reflection of the public disliking austerity and not reflective of them leaning to the left. If the economy was like it was in 2007 before the crash and an election was upcoming, a Labour Party led by Ed with the same manifesto as today would be crushed. In short, during a recession or during the recovery stage after a recession the electorate can be easily bought by promising them other people's money.
How odd. Because if things were as they were in 2007 the manifesto would be radically different.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.53%
No I haven't decided yet (59)
22.96%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.51%

Watched Threads