Those applying for Speech Sciences / Speech and Language Therapy / SLT for 2010 Entry Watch

bumblebee111191
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Ashura)
Unfortunately, contrary to what you would expect, a four-year intensive course in modern foreign languages offers no linguistic education whatsoever. The course may aswell be called 'Germany and Japan', all we seem to learn about is the countries' politics and society and culture and history and all that crap. It's made me realise that, despite all the languages I've learnt over my life, it's not the languageS I am interested in but language itself, as a science. So, to find that SLT offers a lot of linguistic modules and at the same time is aiming towards an actual career where I think I'd feel better just being able to work around people and helping them, I'd rather just switch now. The only problem as I said, is I'm not sure if they'd take me
have you had your careers interview yet?

I think just make sure that you fully know what the course entails and do you research into the universities as well. SLT is not all about linguistics, there are alot of biological lectures/sections where you have to know the physiology of the head/neck in great detail, for those lectures we're bascially medical students you go into that much depth!! so just know what the course involves and if you think that it still sounds like the course for you then go for it!!

If you want just purely about the language then have you thought about just a linguistics degree??
Bethaniee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
No, it's someone at Birmingham City, so that must be pretty intense too because their course is 3 years. It's like me picking a business course with no tuition fees, but I'd be bored out of my mind and probably really miserable.

I wouldn't want a part-time job anyway, I'd have to work really late in the evening if I wanted a job, and I'd be sooo tired it wouldn't be worth it.
Yeah I guess the intensity would be the same.

I don't want a part-time job, I need a part-time job. £13 a week to pay for everything is not enough. Thankfully I have a job at home that I can go back to at weekends/holidays/reading week otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford to do the degree.

I'm gonna wait and see what my situation is like in my second year, but really I don't have a choice but to have a job. It just means I have to work extra hard during term time to make up for working in the holidays.
LCS
Report 9 years ago
Hey i'm in my first year at Leeds Met if anyone has any questions feel free to ask!! x
LCS
Report 9 years ago
The only thing I would say is that in my experience, UWIC is very competitive, which makes them VERY picky. You must have a B in GCSE Maths, and also a Modern Foreign Language. You must also have a science-based A level such as Biology. You might get in with what you have, but if you don't meet the GCSE requirements, I doubt they will even look at your A levels. I was rejected from there last year because my predicted grades were too low.

I was rejected from UWIC last year as they said theatre studies wasn't a proper a-level so to them they thought i only did the 2...english language and Psychology. x
chelseykav
Report 9 years ago
Hii! Right, im new to this so i may be doing this all wrong but here goes!
Ive applied to Speech and Language at UCL, Newcastle, Reading, Manchester and UEA!
Got an interview at UCL this Wednesday and one at UEA on the 15th!
Reading rejected my application, and havent got any offers from Newcastle or Manchester!
EEEEK!
Chelsey xx
chelseykav
Report 9 years ago
Hi! Im applying for SLT 2010!
Ive got a couple of interviews coming up and was wondering if you had any, and have got any tips!?x
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by chelseykav)
Hii! Right, im new to this so i may be doing this all wrong but here goes!
Ive applied to Speech and Language at UCL, Newcastle, Reading, Manchester and UEA!
Got an interview at UCL this Wednesday and one at UEA on the 15th!
Reading rejected my application, and havent got any offers from Newcastle or Manchester!
EEEEK!
Chelsey xx
Heeeeyyy! I am at UCL on wednesday too! I am really scared, what are you wearing? are you well prepared? Will be nice to meet some fellow SLTers!

I think I am wearing some fitted zara trousers and a white blouse, then a jacket since its freezing!
chelseykav
Report 9 years ago
Ah really! Im soo scared!! Have you prepared much!? Really don't know what to expect! Not too sure yet, i may be coming from sixth form so will probably be in skirt and blouse. yeah its sooo cold!!
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am starting to get nerves now, eeek! Yeah I have prepard a fair bit, read over the course conent, my personal statement and prepared answers for obvious questions like why UCL? why SLT? etc
I will see you tomorrow!
bumblebee111191
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
good luck for today guys! let us know how it goes!!
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Heeey guys, todays interview at UCL was actually very enjoyable! I made friends with loads of other lovely people who were there and all the teachers and lecturers etc were nice and rather eccentric!

The interview was more like an informal chat and I really enjoyed it, nothing to worry about

Although, I doubt I will get an offer due to there being a lot of really nice intelligent applicants there!
Annaaa
Report 9 years ago
Hellooo everyone,
Does anybody have an interview for Sheffield? eeek i'm so excited/nervous. xxx
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hey Anna, yes I do have an interview there, is yours on the 8th? Next Tuesday? Will be nice to meet some more SLT applicants!
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OH MY GOD
OFFER FROM NEWCASTLE
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OMG OMG OMG OMG YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYYYY!!!!!!!
and its ABB so they can be my backup choice if Sheffield dont give me an offer!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by zanzapan)
OH MY GOD
OFFER FROM NEWCASTLE
and its ABB so they can be my backup choice if Sheffield dont give me an offer!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Congratulations! How many offers is that now?
Is Sheffield your firm (if you get an offer)?
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Congratulations! How many offers is that now?
Is Sheffield your firm (if you get an offer)?

I am so happy it is unreal! haha, thanks!
That is 3 offers, Manchester, Reading and Newcastle, and yes if I get an offer from Sheffield it will be my firm definitely! I don't mind about UCL really because I don't want to got there as much as Sheffield and Newcastle but it would still be nice to get an offer from there
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am so happy it is unreal! haha, thanks!
That is 3 offers, Manchester, Reading and Newcastle, and yes if I get an offer from Sheffield it will be my firm definitely! I don't mind about UCL really because I don't want to got there as much as Sheffield and Newcastle but it would still be nice to get an offer from there
I bet you're happy! I really hope I get a place now, but I don't think I'll hear back until January by the sounds of what it said in my acknowledgement letter. I still havn't found anyone applying for SLT at Marjon, so maybe I'm in with a chance!
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I am sure you will get a place, dont worry if it takes a while for them to get back to you, some people hear back really late even though they're super strong applicants
bumblebee111191
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
OH MY GOD
OFFER FROM NEWCASTLE
omg well done!
i'm starting to get scared now that i won't get any offers! i'm already planning what i'm going to do next year if i don't get in
zanzapan
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by bumblebee111191)
omg well done!
i'm starting to get scared now that i won't get any offers! i'm already planning what i'm going to do next year if i don't get in

thank you, and dont be so negative! I am sure you will get offers, dont worry!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (84)
26.09%
No (238)
73.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed