ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    You so want each other :rolleyes:

:
    In her dreams. Who's the needy one now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by April_London)

viirgil you totally missed me!
    Yeah missed ripping into your stupid comments. So you were actually thinking of me whilst away....... this is awkward.

ReputationRep:
    hmmm. heres my advice, lol even if it is slightly questionable!

Southhampton- WHAT?? social life perhaps, but its going to consist of like, you, 2 other people, LOTS of old people and there grand children, your bio teacher, his dog and the fruit bats you'll spend the next three years of your life cataloguing :P

UCL- rated excellently, but their bio building almost made me cry. It smells of burnt hair and did not seem like a very nice environment to be working in. I think that most people are the most let down by the buildings at UCL, because unliek the decieving website the only nice building is their oldest one which is for the law students and maybe a little but of a new building which the sciences kids (us...) aren't in.

Plymouth- same as southhamption except less people. But on the bright side that also means less chavs! Also, why the hec would you want to do scuba diving in the UK?? I have my PADI licence, it would be quite fun for a while but for marine biology in the UK there is going to be a suspicious amount of focus on snails, judgibng by the marine section of my bio feild trip. Could be fun though, but the career prospects arent looking so hot, no?

Imperial- Grat city and lovely workspaces, but as we have been sayign possibly very little social time :'( but on the bright side you would be going to one of the top ten unis ON THE PLANET!

How much are your offers for each?
    haha, i was reading through you having a go at Southampton and UCL (in comparison to Imperial obviously); then it got to Plymouth and i thought, god, shes going to absolutely destroy the place cause of the **** rep lol .

um, offers,
    Southampton is AAA (biology, chemistry and maths) or for a lower degree course ABB (biology, chemistry, maths and geography accepted),
    UCL (just interview, no offer yet),
    Plymouth BBB inc biology,
    and then obviously Imperial AAB inc biology

If i'm honest, if i can get over the 2000 hour a year workload at Imperial then i would definitely accept it over UCL.

Then i think that i'll keep Plymouth as insurance due to the lower grades and the fact that some of the people going to the uni have about 220 points or something (geography degree or marine sports science degree etc).

So overall it'll probs be Imperial vs Southampton; bio with mangement vs master of marine bio with study abroad................hmmm, as me and you are saying its grad opportunities vs a lower work load; i have till june 8th to reply anyway cause of UCL taking ages to reply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_question)
    So.....I know Imperial is a great Uni, but lately I've been persuaded to choose Kings pharmacy over Imperial Biology, mainly because of the career prospects.

What do you think?
    I think that your probably right, for career prospects pharmacy is the best. Both really good unis; both in london etc etc. So if you want to go for the best career opportunites then yeah pharmacy at Kings is best imo.

ReputationRep:
    Guys DILEMMA! The deadlien for my UCAS form is coming up and i need to pick my back up-

If you have a choice between BRISTOL and MACHESTER where would you go?? Ruled out edinburgh because i went to visit and wasnt really feelin it...!

Guys DILEMMA! The deadlien for my UCAS form is coming up and i need to pick my back up-

If you have a choice between BRISTOL and MACHESTER where would you go?? Ruled out edinburgh because i went to visit and wasnt really feelin it...!
    bristol, much nicer place

ReputationRep:

bristol is choong....almost like cambridge. quite predominantly white though i'd say.
    manchester is quite chinese and basically like london ^_^.

ReputationRep:

I would prefer to go for the third option: get AAB and go to Imperial

OK, *getting serious now*

Bristol has a better rep; but not much better so i would choose based on the cities and unis.
    Have you actually been to either uni?
    I grew up in Manchester and went to the Bristol open day and i would say that Bristol seemed the nicer city. Nightlife is probs better in Manchester (and some of my friends are going there ) but your first choice is Imperial so compared they'll both be better. I would go for Bristol cause its a nicer city and the unis pretty good as well, except it has a hill to get up to the main campus part from the main road. What are the offers for each? ABB?
    whens your deadline btw? may 5th? if so thats loads of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orca92)
    I would prefer to go for the third option: get AAB and go to Imperial

OK, *getting serious now*

Bristol has a better rep; but not much better so i would choose based on the cities and unis.
    Have you actually been to either uni?
    I grew up in Manchester and went to the Bristol open day and i would say that Bristol seemed the nicer city. Nightlife is probs better in Manchester (and some of my friends are going there ) but your first choice is Imperial so compared they'll both be better. I would go for Bristol cause its a nicer city and the unis pretty good as well, except it has a hill to get up to the main campus part from the main road. What are the offers for each? ABB?
    whens your deadline btw? may 5th? if so thats loads of time.
    Hahaha I agree- Imperial being the ideal choice! I'm taking the IB, so to get into Imperial i need 38 points, and both Manchester and Bristol are giving me an offer of 35.

To be honest, i would probably go to Manchester if they both had the same rep becuase i prefer the course and there is quite like London and has an amazaing nightlife, but i feel like if i didnt accept bristol i would be passing up a really good opportunity because they gave me a really good offer (usually they give you an offer up to 37 points if you were predicted a high grade..) ! Also its the west country so food is gorgeous and the people are really nice! I am so confused!! Do you think rep should play that big a role in your decisions?? maybe im looking into the league tables too much!

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha I agree- Imperial being the ideal choice! I'm taking the IB, so to get into Imperial i need 38 points, and both Manchester and Bristol are giving me an offer of 35.

To be honest, i would probably go to Manchester if they both had the same rep becuase i prefer the course and there is quite like London and has an amazaing nightlife, but i feel like if i didnt accept bristol i would be passing up a really good opportunity because they gave me a really good offer (usually they give you an offer up to 37 points if you were predicted a high grade..) ! Also its the west country so food is gorgeous and the people are really nice! I am so confused!! Do you think rep should play that big a role in your decisions?? maybe im looking into the league tables too much!
    Well with respect to rep, do you think that if an employer has 2 candidates for a job, one with biology from Bristol, the other biology from Manchester, the Bristol grad would have an advantage due to the uni?

The answer is definitely not; i mean, i think that its the same for all uni applicants; we choose between two unis which are so close in rep that when it actually comes to employment or graduate applications it really wont matter which we chose. The fact is that Manchester is still a really good uni; the rep is only slightly worse than Bristol; and at the end of the day you want to enjoy uni then get into graduate study or employment where unless its between london south bank and imperial, uni rep really wont be anywhere near as important as we make it out to be now.

I would personally choose based on which you would prefer to go to; the city, uni, area, department size etc etc.
    For you Manchester seems to be the one your more wanting to go to. And dont forget that Bristol also has a really good nightlife; i think there and Manchester has enough to do; and i'm sure that the food at both will be fine

And what do you mean the people are nicer in bristol :mad: i grew up in manchester :yep: and i'm nice..... i think :p:

ReputationRep:
    ppl who r doin bio at imperial!! 2010! havnt come across many!!
    Are you guys living in halls? coz im not n i herd if u dnt live in halls social life is crap :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eniven xD)
    ppl who r doin bio at imperial!! 2010! havnt come across many!!
    Are you guys living in halls? coz im not n i herd if u dnt live in halls social life is crap :'(
    Well i've actually decided to firm UCL rather than Imperial in the end. I think that if your not in halls the social life will be worse; however, i think that it will still be similar to if you lived in halls as long as you put the effort in. At the end of the day everyone at first will not know anyone and will be looking to make friends; if you go there and make friends on the biology course then you will be able to go out clubbing/to the pub with them. If you were to not bother trying then obviously you're not going to have a very good social life. But as i say everyone will be desperate to make friends and will be up for getting to know you as long as you put in the effort to become their friends. Put in some effort and your social life will be a lot better.

ReputationRep:
    I guess you're right. well thankyou and good luck with UCL!!

ReputationRep:
    whaaat! you arent coming to imperial?? dont leave me alone with virgil!!

yeeeh im going to go live in halls, it may be ****** but at elast you can meet lots of other ppl better that than get stuck at home with my folks for three years/ possibly get isolated in a flat ! come to haallls! Do you guys know when we are allowed to start applying for accomodation?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh ye ur well lucky to be living at halls!!! what course you doing?? i have no idea about applying to accomodation tho ..sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Hey you all, =]

I've accepted Imperial (but for biochemistry..well..slightly different but hey!xD). If everything goes well and we all end up here in Oct, it looks like we might be sharing some lectures! =].
    Gosh so who's accepted their offer(either firm or insurance) and who hasn't? =]

(Original post by eniven xD)
    Ahhh ye ur well lucky to be living at halls!!! what course you doing?? i have no idea about applying to accomodation tho ..sorry!
    Sorry for butting, just want to say that Imperial will send you the details after you've got your results in the summer (provided you'e accepted them of course.XD). No need to get hasty with it now, though by all means, look through the various halls on their website! ^^

ReputationRep:
    I'v accepted Imperial but might change them from my firm to insurance =) xD

ReputationRep:
    whaaat! you arent coming to imperial?? dont leave me alone with virgil!!

yeeeh im going to go live in halls, it may be ****** but at elast you can meet lots of other ppl better that than get stuck at home with my folks for three years/ possibly get isolated in a flat ! come to haallls! Do you guys know when we are allowed to start applying for accomodation?
    No im not, sorry; just dont think im cut out for Imperial; social side of UCL was too tempting. Im sure you and Virgil will have an amazing time at Imperial :yep:

ReputationRep:
    just thought we could revive this thread^^ does anybody happen to know more details about the biology with a year in industry/research course, e.g. which companies/institutions imperial work with or at which ones you get paid while you're working there (I somehow recall that I read somewhere that you only get paid at very few placements, but I'm not 100% sure...)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by βored)
    First year timetable is 9.00am -10am lectures, and 11am-12pm lectures daily, with afternoons for labs (2.00pm-5.00pm usually, although you might get out earlier), tutorials, private study and the afternoon off on Wednesday for sports.
    is it stressful? I heard from somewhere that you cant really get part time job coz you'll be too busy with uni work all the time.
    Plus whats the dropout rate? :L

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.