Turn on thread page Beta

Today: Everybody Draw Mohammed Day! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    Religions/Beliefs shouldn't be put on a pedestal and beyond criticism. It's a little different in this case as this is meant to provoke offence but it happens with everything. People will 'bash' others for a whole range of things, you can ignore it, especially in this case as it's a group that's being targeted not an individual.
    Just because people bash all the time, it doesn't make it right - regardless of whether it's bashing of religion or anything else. Criticism is ok between individuals but this is just pure hatred. People need to be considerate and stop using sites like facebook to start hatred groups. I know it's idealistic where we all live in a world where we respect each others beliefs regardless of what they are but we can still hope.

ReputationRep:
    Ah well, s.h.i.t happens, we get over it.
    Back to revision ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lumbar)
    I'm Muslim and I completely agree. But, how is this criticism?

Ok, they draw some pictures to express their ''freedom of speech'' to the extremists out there ... and then what? what do they expect to happen? Do they want the ''extremists'' do have a comeback?
    I agree, I acknowledged this was different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Rouge*)
    Just because people bash all the time, it doesn't make it right - regardless of whether it's bashing of religion or anything else. Criticism is ok between individuals but this is just pure hatred. People need to be considerate and stop using sites like facebook to start hatred groups. I know it's idealistic where we all live in a world where we respect each others beliefs regardless of what they are but we can still hope.
    I'm not condoning it..., but the only way we're going to move on from this is to ignore it..., not protest against this facebook group or react to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeylfc1989)
    I'm not condoning it..., but the only way we're going to move on from this is to ignore it..., not protest against this facebook group or react to it.
    True, let the idiots carry on doing what they're doing - life goes on.

ReputationRep:
    This is hardly a protest about free speech - It might have been when the group was first set up but now it's just gathering place for hate-filled people who need a medium with which to spread their hate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    to show that i can.
    if certain people didnt draw that freedom into question, i wouldn't.
    What a stupid, stupid point. So its fine to do anything you want, regardless of what other people think just because you can?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    This is hardly a protest about free speech - It might have been when the group was first set up but now it's just gathering place for hate-filled people who need a medium with which to spread their hate.
    Yup, it's sad that people care this much... (people on this Facebook group). Just checked it out, it's worst than I thought. These kind of groups always attract scum.

ReputationRep:
    damn good idea

ReputationRep:
    The problem is that extremist muslims have the advantage of being willing to sacrifice everything, even sometimes their lives, for their beliefs. So they become impossible to restrict in a democracy until it's too late (they've commited a crime).

If we can't put a limit on these peoples reactions then they start to realise the power they have over society and it's a slippery slope from then on.

Although i think that posting these mohammed pictures is in a way immature... it also gives a sign to these extremists that they will meet resistance if they think that they can walk all over people who don't follow their strict rules.

Obviously it would be very immature if muslims hadn't reacted beyond what they should in the past... but the fact is that there are many who have and would.. so i'm personally not against this "day".

ReputationRep:
    166,111,487 people have been completely blocked from Facebook because of a page in which 60k people have joined.

Lol. That's almost three times the population of the entire UK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Srxjer)
    166,111,487 people have been completely blocked from Facebook because of a page in which 60k people have joined.

Lol. That's almost three times the population of the entire UK!
    How do you know?

ReputationRep:
    How do you know?
    http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle7130527.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edanon)
    The problem is that extremist muslims have the advantage of being willing to sacrifice everything, even sometimes their lives, for their beliefs. So they become impossible to restrict in a democracy until it's too late (they've commited a crime).

If we can't put a limit on these peoples reactions then they start to realise the power they have over society and it's a slippery slope from then on.

Although i think that posting these mohammed pictures is in a way immature... it also gives a sign to these extremists that they will meet resistance if they think that they can walk all over people who don't follow their strict rules.

Obviously it would be very immature if muslims hadn't reacted beyond what they should in the past... but the fact is that there are many who have and would.. so i'm personally not against this "day".
    I see you're point, but most muslims who live here, immerse themselves in Western culture. Politics and culture in Islamic countries are the problem, it's very anti-western. Attacking religion is very wide of the mark, the problems bigger than that.

In terms of the protest though, I'm interested to see what happens...
    If Muslims can ignore it, we might be getting somewhere. But these things usually snowball when idiots get involved and it develops into an attack on race too, I don't agree with that all.

People on both sides take things too far..., one incites the other while the other reacts to incite them back. It's a vicious circle..., both develop a victim mentality and any middle-ground is essentially lost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uer23)
    I don't care about any of this in particular.

But tbh whoever uses facebook is a pussy anyway. Why you don't you get your ass out and meet people. Want to make friends over the internet ******* cocks.
    Oh, the irony. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Tbh I couldn't give a ****. Let them do it if they want to express their 'freedom of speech' rights or whatever they claim it to be.

ReputationRep:
    How do you know?
    Pakistan banned facebook temporarily.

Regarding the article, I thought the west would come up with something more effective or atleast had a higher state of culture.

I doubt it'll offer any positive boost to the hundreds of libertarians and moderated people there who are trying to fight oppression and autocratic governments.
    It will morely give more power to the dictators who use Islam to control the masses through their newly adopted 'moderate/cool' Imams.

I thought we'll try to represent our civilisation atleast and how we really respect the democracy we are blessed with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Défoncé)
    Pakistan banned facebook temporarily.

Regarding the article, I thought the west would come up with something more effective or atleast had a higher state of culture.

I doubt it'll offer any positive boost to the hundreds of libertarians and moderated people there who are trying to fight oppression and autocratic governments.
    It will morely give more power to the dictators who use Islam to control the masses through their newly adopted 'moderate/cool' Imams.

I thought we'll try to represent our civilisation atleast and how we really respect the democracy we are blessed with.
    This...the problems bigger than religion.

ReputationRep:
    I think its revolting at worst, utterly pontless and childish at best.

And it REALLY irks me when people start wailing that its ok because its 'criticism'. No. Criticism doesn't have to be offensive, and the most intelligent form of criticism would avoid being offensive. Got a problem with Islam? Have an intelligent debate. Educate and challenge each other.

This is simply offending over a billion people for the sake of...offending them. How childish.

As for free speech, I'm all for it, but again, its being asserted at the expense of mocking and degrading other people. OK WE GET IT you don;t understand, or feel they have any right to be offended, but the fact remains that they are, and you have nothing to gain by offending them, and the only outcome? More hatered and damage between perceptions and relationships. Nothing good will come out of this, there's no noble cause being fought for, nothing acheived.

Its just providing some twisted gratification for people who enjoy being able to stick to fingers up at certain people who they disagree with, and saying HA C I DID IT BECUZ I CAN. Again, childish.

Lastly, I don't condone death threats and what not, and I know this fb group says its trying to prove a point to the people who make threats or even go ahead with them, but they're missing the point. The average muslim isn't going to come slice your head off if you draw their prophet, 99.9% wouldnt dream of actually harming you. But they'll probably hate you. lose respect for you and be offended. The actual groups who do want to harm you will only have more reason to. I don't see where the gain is in all this, except to offend the vast majority of muslims who are not the target of this whole stupid idea, if the target is only to aggravate the bloodthirsty minority.

I'm an atheist btw but come from a Muslim family. I don't agree with the beliefs, but I'm utterly against this, and would hate for anyone in my family to see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~flutterby~)
    I think its revolting at worst, utterly pontless and childish at best.

And it REALLY irks me when people start wailing that its ok because its 'criticism'. No. Criticism doesn't have to be offensive, and the most intelligent form of criticism would avoid being offensive. Got a problem with Islam? Have an intelligent debate. Educate and challenge each other.

This is simply offending over a billion people for the sake of...offending them. How childish.

As for free speech, I'm all for it, but again, its being asserted at the expense of mocking and degrading other people. OK WE GET IT you don;t understand, or feel they have any right to be offended, but the fact remains that they are, and you have nothing to gain by offending them, and the only outcome? More hatered and damage between perceptions and relationships. Nothing good will come out of this, there's no noble cause being fought for, nothing acheived.

Its just providing some twisted gratification for people who enjoy being able to stick to fingers up at certain people who they disagree with, and saying HA C I DID IT BECUZ I CAN. Again, childish.

Lastly, I don't condone death threats and what not, and I know this fb group says its trying to prove a point to the people who make threats or even go ahead with them, but they're missing the point. The average muslim isn't going to come slice your head off if you draw their prophet, 99.9% wouldnt dream of actually harming you. But they'll probably hate you. lose respect for you and be offended. The actual groups who do want to harm you will only have more reason to. I don't see where the gain is in all this, except to offend the vast majority of muslims who are not the target of this whole stupid idea, if the target is only to aggravate the bloodthirsty minority.

I'm an atheist btw but come from a Muslim family. I don't agree with the beliefs, but I'm utterly against this, and would hate for anyone in my family to see it.
    Strong post...

You're part of the problem in this whole thing. This group may be pointless/offensive and terrible idea but there is no point getting overly sensitive about it. If you ignore it that's that...everyone can move forward. The tensions there, this group is a reaction to it. If Muslims react, it only gets worse. Blowing it of proportion is not beneficial to anyone.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.