Turn on thread page Beta

AQA CHEM1 Fri 21 May watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi what did people put for the crystal structures of iodine and graphite. and the question about why iodine can be vaporised or something like that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Remember guys the calculations in the whole moles question had to be to 3 significant figure. It said so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CHEM1STRY)
    That's not balanced.

SO2 and CaO react and neutralise each other because the gas is acidic and CaO is basic.

Did people get N2O5 and second ionisation for the Al one?
    I got the one about SO2 wrong. Then for the second part that's what I got as well for both but then people said it was NO3 cos of the 25:75 ratio!! :erm: I got the Al part as well.

(Original post by Stirlo)
    They do, I noticed how they left chlorine off the graph for period 3 in order to try and make people fall into the trap of putting fluorine for the highest ionisation energy of period 2.

Overall found the paper alright, with section B being quite easy, only found a couple of the first sub questions challenging, so hope I've done better this time around
    I feel stupid as I fell for that trap!!

(Original post by Goldfishy)
    I thought the paper was hard compared to some past papers I did recently - too many off-syllabus questions Some answers I got (these are by no means correct, although some coincide with what others have got, just browse a few pages):

11.3dm^-3 on the gas equation question

van der Waals' forces on IMF force for CCl2F2 (Read a few answers on here varied with dipole-dipole. due to the molecule shape, don't the dipole's cancel?)

54.3% for a %age question

0.938moldm^-3 for conc of HCl acid

Sulphur dioxide as gas X, and I gave some very strange answers for the mesh thing...still irritated as to why they put those type of questions on... I believe the answer to the mesh ones are acid-base/neutralisation type reaction and increased surface area? (Instead of increased SA, I put to still allow non-contaminated gas through, can anyone say if this is still ok?)

N2O5 for the empircal formular of the nitrogen oxide

Hope this helps if you see some familiar answers. Would like to know if other ppl got similar! 2 down, loads to go...
    Did you have to state what gas X was?! Oh my gosh... I just worked out the Mr for it. :cry2:

(Original post by Unknown-User)
    Ah I actually thought when I was on that question that I should write the equation just in case.....and for some reason, when I finished writing out the answer, I didn't write the equation out

Not sure
    Thats what I wrote, but as Haruhi said before, I think we may get one mark for that
    I don't see why we should lose marks for not writing the equation...

-----

By looking at this thread I feel ridiculously stupid because I have made so so many silly mistakes. The paper was completely full of tricky questions even so there were simply just some answers that I would never have thought off. For the dative bonding question did people write the opposite as to what they normally write? Cos it was a negative not a positive ion that reacted with a compound? This is the worst AS paper I have sat so far. Compared to the other papers this one was ridiculously hard and the others were very easy. I think I have far too many mistakes that add up to cause me to lose far too many marks.

ReputationRep:
    Typo on the 11.1 - did definitely get that *phew*, changed it now. I'm a little gutted on the mesh one as it seems a but obvious, but for the vdWs' I'm still not convinced; there are two C-F bonds and the shape is tetrahedral so surely it still cancels slightly? And also the electronegativity of Cl isn't that far off of F's (3.5 to 4.0)? Tbh though, I scribbled out dipole-dipole and then wrote vdWs' :mad:
    We think alike.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparkly-Star)
    I got the one about SO2 wrong. Then for the second part that's what I got as well for both but then people said it was NO3 cos of the 25:75 ratio!! :erm: I got the Al part as well.

Did you have to state what gas X was?! Oh my gosh... I just worked out the Mr for it. :cry2:

I don't see why we should loose marks for not writing the equation...

-----

By looking at this thread I feel ridiculously stupid because I have made so so many silly mistakes. The paper was completely full of tricky questions even so there were simply just some answers that I would never have thought off. For the dative bonding question did people write the opposite as to what they normally write? Cos it was a negative not a positive ion that reacted with a compound?
    the negative ion donates/shares a pair of electrons with the BaCl3 molecule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superpurple)
    hi what did people put for the crystal structures of iodine and graphite. and the question about why iodine can be vaporised or something like that anyway.
    I put simple molecular for Iodine and Giant macromolecular for Graphite.

And for the vapourisation question, I put because there are weak VDW forces between molecules of Iodine, thus only small amount of heat energy needed to reach boiling point of Iodine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    We think alike.
    :eek: twins?

ReputationRep:

And for the vapourisation question, I put because there are weak VDW forces between molecules of Iodine, thus only small amount of heat energy needed to reach boiling point of Iodine
    Exactly what I put..I think its right

ReputationRep:

-----

By looking at this thread I feel ridiculously stupid because I have made so so many silly mistakes. The paper was completely full of tricky questions even so there were simply just some answers that I would never have thought off. For the dative bonding question did people write the opposite as to what they normally write? Cos it was a negative not a positive ion that reacted with a compound? This is the worst AS paper I have sat so far. Compared to the other papers this one was ridiculously hard and the others were very easy. I think I have far too many mistakes that add up to cause me to lose far too many marks.
    Yeah the F- ion has a full outer shell whereas BF3 has 6 electrons in it's outer shell, so the F- is the one donating the pair of electrons for the co-ordinate bond.

ReputationRep:

It is AQA after all....:p:

Hmm tbh, I can't think of what the 2 marks would be for. If we don't have to write the equation (it didn't state it in the question), what could the other mark be for?

ReputationRep:

i put giant covalent for graphite and just covalent for iodine. i didn't have a clue really. and i put the same as you for the vaporisation one :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I got 35% something for atom economy =S

ReputationRep:
    I got 35% something for atom economy =S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Andrew_)
    Exactly what I put..I think its right
    Ah Its good to hear other people are writing the same things as me

Although the paper was harder than previous years, I actually feel it was a nice paper....compared to my other exams coming up

ReputationRep:
    Ditto. :cry2:
    Goodbye medicine for me.

ReputationRep:
    So, guys how did you find the exam???? i didn't take it but would like to get input on what people thought about it???

ReputationRep:
    Did you have to state the Mr for it? Don't get me worried :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    :eek: twins?
    :eek: separated at birth? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Typo on the 11.1 - did definitely get that *phew*, changed it now. I'm a little gutted on the mesh one as it seems a but obvious, but for the vdWs' I'm still not convinced; there are two C-F bonds and the shape is tetrahedral so surely it still cancels slightly? And also the electronegativity of Cl isn't that far off of F's (3.5 to 4.0)? Tbh though, I scribbled out dipole-dipole and then wrote vdWs' :mad:
    3.0 to 4.0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?!master?!mini?!)
    :eek: separated at birth? :p:
    My mistake, can't be, you're an Arsenal supporter...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 29, 2010

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.