France Grand Slam
    3.39%
    Italy Title
    1.69%
    Italy Grand Slam
    4.24%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Not when it clearly states that what happened was against the rules. There are dubious ref decisions and then there are wrong ones. This is wrong and it's in black and white as proof.
    I agree it shouldn't have been a try, but again the number of times we have been on the other side of decisions, we deserve some kind of luck (the Italy game comes to mind where we were totally robbed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    I agree it shouldn't have been a try, but again the number of times we have been on the other side of decisions, we deserve some kind of luck (the Italy game comes to mind where we were totally robbed).
    Do you mean the game 2 weeks ago? You won that. Any incident against you (I don't remember much about that game, I'll admit) ultimately didn't make you lose the game, which is the case for Ireland tonight.

It's just really disappointing to see games won and lost on wrong decisions. You could say it's part of the game but it was VERY obvious the ball used in the quick line out wasn't the same one that went into touch in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, it's a shame that our only try came from an illegal move. Still, the difference would only have been one point if it hadn't be allowed, and who knows, maybe Wales could have gone for a drop goal and won it anyway?

Even so, Ireland could have won it right at the end if they'd passed out wide and gone for the try. It was wayyy open, and at least then Sexton would have been given the chance to convert for a win.

I can sympathise that it was a frustrating loss, but it can't be entirely blamed on bad decision making.

But I'm Welsh and biased, so woopie!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roobsa)
    Do you mean the game 2 weeks ago? You won that. Any incident against you (I don't remember much about that game, I'll admit) ultimately didn't make you lose the game, which is the case for Ireland tonight.

It's just really disappointing to see games won and lost on wrong decisions. You could say it's part of the game but it was VERY obvious the ball used in the quick line out wasn't the same one that went into touch in the first place.
    Nope, I meant the game a few years back (2007 or 2008, not sure) where we were losing to Italy by 3 points, in the last minute, and had a penalty. We wanted to kick to the corner to mount one last attack, asked the ref if we had enough time to do so and he said yes. So thats what Wales did, yet the ref then blew for full time. The ref actually came out and apologised afterwards - even though it essentially lost us the match.

Of course, past incidents shouldn't matter, and Wales should not have got that try today. But it does help even it up a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hood_Man)
    I agree, it's a shame that our only try came from an illegal move. Still, the difference would only have been one point if it hadn't be allowed, and who knows, maybe Wales could have gone for a drop goal and won it anyway?

Even so, Ireland could have won it right at the end if they'd passed out wide and gone for the try. It was wayyy open, and at least then Sexton would have been given the chance to convert for a win.

I can sympathise that it was a frustrating loss, but it can't be entirely blamed on bad decision making.

But I'm Welsh and biased, so woopie!
    Sure, you can throw what ifs around but that decision is what swung the momentum in Wales' favour.

(Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Nope, I meant the game a few years back (2007 or 2008, not sure) where we were losing to Italy by 3 points, in the last minute, and had a penalty. We wanted to kick to the corner to mount one last attack, asked the ref if we had enough time to do so and he said yes. So thats what Wales did, yet the ref then blew for full time. The ref actually came out and apologised afterwards - even though it essentially lost us the match.

Of course, past incidents shouldn't matter, and Wales should not have got that try today. But it does help even it up a little.
    Wow, I don't remember that but that's horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't a try according to the rules. Simple as. Any player or supporter who says it was is watching the wrong sport. Id be fuming if it had happened to us. Yet, it was given by the man in charge, that is all that matters. Arguing about it is pointless. Both teams were pretty poor today. Reffing was shambolic. Missed a load of wayward lineouts, ruck infringements, and his definition of "not held" on the floor is a joke. Turning point for me was when O'Gara went off prematurely; if he had stayed on, the scores would have almost certainly been 16-16 and then it was anyone's game. Ill take the win in a game that could have gone either way.

ReputationRep:
    Cracking game, really tense and close. Was a very good game. We (the welsh) can take a lot from it such as out fantastic lineout which was perfect and the fact we took the restarts well for a change. Now twice the Irish had their feet out of play but the linesman not noticing and then firstly made a lot of ground from the kick, secondly justice prevailed and the Irish guy managed to scuff it and put it straight out. Also the penalty against Davies for supposedly double movement was bull**** as he wasn't grounded. Those 3 things struck me out as big crucial mistakes. Obviously our try shouldn't have been awarded but there we go.

Wales deserved the win. I thought that was fairly clear. The Irish didn't do enough to warrant it. We needed to be more clinical. We had 2 easy try opportunities in the 1st half which were wasted. Whilst the Irish always looked dangerous with Bowe and Earls.

But if the Irish guy passed on that last move of the game they could have got a try in the corner. Sure it would have been a tricky conversion but why he didn't pass it baffled me. Was a superb finish to a great game though.

Sexton made 2 crucial errors. Initially the one where the kick into touch on the full which led to the controversial try, and then that easy 3 pointer. Basically his first 2 touches, disastrous for him and the Irish.

Nice to see us having 3 wins to our name though. God knows if we beat England, we would be in for the GS. Such a shame. Still the title is possible if Ireland can do the business next weekend and we beat France. Easier said then done as it's in Paris, but we have a good record over there.

ReputationRep:
    Unbelievable win for Italy, though France were nowhere near their best. Parisse and the full-back (name slipped my mind) were absolutely immense today, all others were very good along with them. Fully committed and passionate performance - deserved the win.

Thought the Wales match was absolutely dire for the most part. What on Earth happened to O'Gara's kicking from hand today?! Sexton had a few shockers but improved after the 50 minute mark I thought.

Hope England can win well again tomorrow, prediction is 30-12.

On another note I don't think Philipps' try was legal going by the letter of the law.

ReputationRep:
    Mike Phillips' try should not have been allowed but it was given by the ref and no amount of Irish whining will change that-I thought it was quite poor of O'Driscoll to continue complaining to the ref several phases after the restart. Still nice to get another win
    Italy vs. France has to be the game of the tournament, not just because of the the fact they won but the way they came back (especially Bergamasco after his two missed kicks) and the way they managed to hold on (something they couldn't manage against Ireland)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Welshmen)
    Mike Phillips' try should not have been allowed but it was given by the ref and no amount of Irish whining will change that-I thought it was quite poor of O'Driscoll to continue complaining to the ref several phases after the restart. Still nice to get another win
    Italy vs. France has to be the game of the tournament, not just because of the the fact they won but the way they came back (especially Bergamasco after his two missed kicks) and the way they managed to hold on (something they couldn't manage against Ireland)
    All's fair in love and war!

ReputationRep:
    Congratz to Italy great Win!

ReputationRep:
    I am not looking forward to tomorrow. I think we're gonna get thrashed.

Hope i'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Its a shame that Wales - Ireland is the front page story on the BBC sport page. This controversy over Phillips' try will probably mean Italy wont get as much coverage as they deserve. Today was all about them IMO.

Now come on Scotland, do us all a favour

ReputationRep:
    Unconvincing win. Awesome bit of skill by Max Evans towards the end to bring Scotland within 3 points but I'm glad we got the win. Have get our **** together next weekend in Ireland though!

ReputationRep:
    Scotland were robbed. The England try had not 1 but 2 forward passes. What a complete joke. Scotland were given no hope and without that they would have won.
    Seriously, what it the point of linesmen when they miss such obvious infractions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richarda)
    Scotland were robbed. The England try had not 1 but 2 forward passes. What a complete joke. Scotland were given no hope and without that they would have won.
    Seriously, what it the point of linesmen when they miss such obvious infractions.
    In one of the phases before the Scotland try one player of Scotland was standing in 22 another outside the one outside threw it to the one inside and that wasnt given forward so stop moaning. Also while the ref was injured a player held onto the ball for Scotland so should of been an England penalty, Scotland got more decisions than England.

ReputationRep:
    can anyone tell me why john barclay was sin binned?

also why is pulling the ball out of a players hands when they have been tackled on the ground an offence punishable by a penalty?

ReputationRep:
    We (England) were very poor in my book. Haskell was the only forward who looked like he was actually bothered about playing today.

Few good breaks by Foden and one by Ashton I think. Rest of backs were pretty abject but could do little with the incredibly slow ball produced by forwards - not enough men at the breakdown!!!

On a positive note, well done to Steve Thompson - most capped English hooker in history.

Scotland were unlucky, shouldn't have been a yellow - mainly for the 'chat' he gave to the ref throughout the game I think. Richie Gray was very good once again - found a real gem there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Square)
    can anyone tell me why john barclay was sin binned?

also why is pulling the ball out of a players hands when they have been tackled on the ground an offence punishable by a penalty?
    Only an offence in the ruck, got to use feet to 'ruck' it back I believe. Hands in the ruck anywhere is an infringement unless the ref has called ball is loose, in which case ruck is no longer formed.

With regards to the sin bin - no idea! Think ref had enough of the 'chat' he had given, maybe laying the wrong side of the ruck though. Although not a clear try scoring opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    Feel sorry for Scotland. It's annoying how close they get to the try line only to give it up time and time again. Was hoping that try would get them back in the game and maybe draw it, ah well.

Let's hope next week brings a good game between Ireland and England. As much as I dislike saying it, I think England have the Grand Slam, but I want to see an amazing game if they're going to do that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.