Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NSPCC Campaign on facebook : to stop violence against children Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Professor Oak (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    there's no problem. I don't think anybody actually has a PROBLEM with other people changing their avatars to cartoon characters. I don't give two hoots personally. I just think that as a campaign technique it's a pretty poor one. It doesn't raise awareness, it's just really rather futile. I think there are far better ways to help the NSPCC, that's all.

But live and let live, if people want to do it, fine, whatever!
    The 'campaign' appears to just be an after thought by some third party. The NSPCC don't appear to have made any claims about it, changing your profile picture like that seems to out date it being about the NSPCC.

Personally if I could think of a set of cartoon characters from my childhood that I loved, that hadn't been used already by other people on my facebook, I'd probably use them. But I've been somewhat late with it.

I completely agree with your points you made in the post before this one though. That said, my girlfriend told me off for thinking too much about it, so it's nice to see points I've made made by someone else.

Someone recently claimed to my via a mutual friend that "you can tell how many people care by the amount of people who have changed their facebook picture".
    Others have posted a picture, later claimed it's for the NSPCC, not donated anything, and not posted a link to them at all. Which personally I think is the worst kind of attempt at linking it.
    Sorry I've kind of ranted on a bit, I've been in a fair few heated discussions.

ReputationRep:
    HERE > http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/facebo...e-picture-week

It is a fake! Like I said.

ReputationRep:
    I changed mine to Judy Jetson

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends is using pedobear ... Cba changing my pic personally, but I do rather like the idea; so nostalgic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peel)
    One of my friends is using pedobear ... Cba changing my pic personally, but I do rather like the idea; so nostalgic
    Damn it, why do so many people have to have a warped sense of humour! I thought I was the only one, lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    HERE > http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/facebo...e-picture-week

It is a fake! Like I said.
    Yoink, I heard about that website, thank you!.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't even an official campaign as far as I'm aware. I've heard that it was just a few people who were using the idea to get everyone to change their pictures to cartoons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    there's no problem. I don't think anybody actually has a PROBLEM with other people changing their avatars to cartoon characters. I don't give two hoots personally. I just think that as a campaign technique it's a pretty poor one. It doesn't raise awareness, it's just really rather futile. I think there are far better ways to help the NSPCC, that's all.

But live and let live, if people want to do it, fine, whatever!
    Ah, fair enough.

I guess I'm just of the mentality that every little helps!

ReputationRep:
    bambi <3

and sure by changing your picture it's not as if we're directly helping the charity, however it's raising awareness and reminds us of the issue.
    a bit like movember ;D

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't up for this at first because it obviously isn't directly combatting child abuse, but I couldn't resist the urge to change mine to Super Monkey from Dexter's Lab

ReputationRep:
    I read that it was originally just "Change your facebook profile picture to a cartoon character from your childhood and invite your friends to do the same. Until Monday, Dec 6th of 2010, there should be no human faces on facebook, but an invasion of memories!" - nothing to do with the NSPCC; then it just ended up mutating into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    I'm not sure that we can. You're my only ally so far. :lol: Nobody else cares about Digimon, and it's so much better than pokemon! It has a proper plot, for starters. And cooler hats.
    People only like it more because it came out first and they see Digimon as the copycat
    They also touch on quite mature themes such as loyalty, friendship, etc and don't do the same thing every season.. (get 8 badges and lose at the finals then try try again)

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed a distinct correlation between higher perceived intellect and not taking part in this rubbish...

In the end I gave in - my profile pic is now the Pedobear Seal of Approval

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lifeonmars)
    bambi <3

and sure by changing your picture it's not as if we're directly helping the charity, however it's raising awareness and reminds us of the issue.
    a bit like movember ;D

Well no... because one is supposed to get sponsorship for growing their moustache during Movember...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NaturalDisaster)
    Oh, hey again. Haven't seen you in a while. :lol:

William Wish Wellington is amazing, I love him.
    Hi, I've not seen you either, I hope you're well :p:. I've not posted quite as much since uni started because I have to ban myself in order to get anything done . I'd get a first for procrastination .

(Original post by polaroid13)
    OMG I totally forgot about this! I'm so youtubing and hunting down videos in a minute.
    He just popped into my head for some reason . I wanted to use Arthur but at least three of my friends already had .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmie3303)
    Hi, I've not seen you either, I hope you're well :p:. I've not posted quite as much since uni started because I have to ban myself in order to get anything done . I'd get a first for procrastination .
    I stopped posting for a while, it was just one more distraction but Facebook kept getting in the way so I figured, why not TSR as well. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Phew, I was going to abuse my child until I realised everyone had changed their facebook pictures.

But seriously, it's a "campaign" that does nothing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.