Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

73% Of British Would be Unhappy If Britain Became A White Minority State Watch

ReputationRep:
    Apparently it will happen sooner for the younger generations. Something like 2050? I was reading this a couple of weeks ago at work I think.

I doubt it will happen to the extent they're saying, but I have to say that I would be one of the unhappy ones. Like many have said it isn't a case of racism, I just wouldn't really feel comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-want-cap.html

(Here's the poll in full)

http://www.migrationwatchuk.org/exce...-Mig301110.xls

A YouGov/Migration watch poll has recently shown that 73% of British people conducted in their poll responded to being unhappy at the prospect of Britain becoming a white minority state by 2066.

The poll also showed that 81% of British support the immigration cap introduced by the conservatives.

Tbh I'm quite disgusted at this poll. Regardless of what you say about YouGov or Migration Watch it shows that there are clearly a lot of people do not like this. Britain has about 11-12% of ethnic minorities as it's population not to mention and I'm pretty most of those didn't respond to being unhappy. Which doesn't say much about everyone else in the poll.

It's clear that white Britain is still quite racist. This is supposed to be good thing for the country for christ sake!
    It's the Daily Mail. Personally, I don't trust anything they publish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    Sorry, but how can you blame people for being anti-immigration after the issues it has caused in the past decade? You're deluded if you expect public opinion to be against some sort of immigration cap.

And, it's only natural that people would dislike the notion of their race becoming a minority. Do you honestly believe the people of Nigeria or Pakistan would vote in favour of becoming a minority to white people?

I personally don't have that much of a problem with the ethnic make-up of Britain, so long as that's all it is - skin colour. If this increase in ethnic minorities comes with religious and cultural segregation and conflict, then I am wholly against it.

In summary, you're happy to throw around the 'racist' card without considering the underlying factors in this situation. Your comments are inane and ignorant.
    I hate Margaret Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FaraxZeroIncome)
    I hate Margaret Thatcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by margaret thatcher)
    damn right we are! :e

ReputationRep:
    There is always something very wrong when foreigners get upset that Britain is not predominantly non British. Ask yourself why you come here if its so objectionable to you. I couldn't go and live in a country I didn't like.

The people should sort out their own problems not just run away to other countries and moralise.

ReputationRep:
    firstly its not 73% of britain its just 73% of the people who answered the poll..
    immediatly you have to consider the validity of such things before throwing the race card around. When you consider polling , People like to answer polls to get there opposition to something across. For example this case. People who would be happy with britain becoming a white minority will find the very question rediculous or see it as a waste of time to just say " yeh thats good " whereas people who are strongly against it are going to want to get there view across in this case.
    so you have to consider that when evaluating any poll result..

its understandable that white british dont want to become a minority because no one likes to be a minority but come on ..the ethnic minority population is somewhere below 15% anyway.

Moreover I dont think the idea of white minority is really a term people should still be thinking about. There are asians born in britain making them british, aswel as there are afro carribeans and alot of other races. These people are all british and will see the country as there own. So if the majority of people in the country are british , does it matter what skin colour they are ? or which colour is the minority ?

Il leave you with something said to me in Belgium

"what race are you ? "
    to which i replied : Mixed race British
    A belgiun man questioned me " why do you british always put people in boxes like black british , white british , asian british "
    He ended with : " in belgium ...were all just belgian "

doesnt that make our categories seem stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, a dog born in a stable is not a horse.

ReputationRep:
    I would be unhappy if Britain became a white minority state, but I'd be equally unhappy if British people were outnumbered by Russians or Mexicans. It's not really skin colour that's the issue. Britain has its own cultures and customs that are worth protecting like any other and to see British culture wiped out in the next fifty years would be disheartening. I call BS on the minority white by 2066 report, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wollenzie)
    Hmm, a dog born in a stable is not a horse.
    No i suppose not. But the comparison is a little different. Technically a dog born in a stable is a dog BUT technically any man or women born in britain is british and you can find such on there birth certificates and similar.
    But I do respect the point you make. Biologically your right .. ofcourse by definitions such as this mixed raced people like myself have no national identity.. by this rule I cannot be British as I am brown nor can I be Jamaican as i am White.

The British culture should be protected though I do agree with JW92. But in the context of this thread it has to be asked , is the only noteable thing about British culture the fact that the skin is white ? Im unsure if this is really what culture is about.

ReputationRep:
    Eat those negs OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightman123)

The British culture should be protected though I do agree with JW92. But in the context of this thread it has to be asked , is the only noteable thing about British culture the fact that the skin is white ? Im unsure if this is really what culture is about.
    I understand your point but that is too simplistic. British culture and values are different from other country's cultures and values, that is what identifies British in addition to the colour of the skin. Just as life and death defines us as mortal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lightman123)
    firstly its not 73% of britain its just 73% of the people who answered the poll..
    Unfortunately I think it be may true.

We need keep up with the cultural diversity and ignore any immigration polls. I think a multicultural/multiracial society would be wonderful for this country.

I really really REALLY don't understand people who oppose this? I love us to become like the way Brazil or America is heading. Great for equality.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnobe)
    Unfortunately I think it be may true.

We need keep up with the cultural diversity and ignore any immigration polls. I think a multicultural/multiracial society would be wonderful for this country.

I really really REALLY don't understand people who oppose this? I love us to become like the way Brazil or America is heading. Great for equality.
    Because no one likes being in a minority

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wollenzie)
    I understand your point but that is too simplistic. British culture and values are different from other country's cultures and values, that is what identifies British in addition to the colour of the skin. Just as life and death defines us as mortal.
    Indeed there are many things that contribute to the british colour but is that to say that coloured people cannot embrace this culture and its values? Being of mixed race myself I would consider my self as having embraced the british culture and its values ( as I was born here ). In my opinion becoming a white minority state would have no impact upon the english culture, provided those of other ethnicities all embraced the british culture (which all people born here should do regardless of colour). What would effect the culture is mass immigration of people unwilling to embrace the culture which is indeed an issue...

but hey what can you do about it with how easy it is to travel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Because no one likes being in a minority
    ...But you're not a minority we're all the same race??

ReputationRep:
    Im completely and utterly against racism, my family has a very mixed background and Ive always been immersed in a lot of different cultures.

But there is nothing racist about not wanting to be a minority in your own country...seems ridiculous that people should even suggest that as racist to me :dontknow:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    ...But you're not a minority we're all the same race??
    That does not matter to Humans. The amount of neg rep you have also shows you that people do not care we are all humans. No one wants to live as the minority in any society.

ReputationRep:
    People like feeling superior and "normal". So this poll is unsurprising. Immigrants are a threat in the eyes of some white people, who feel superior, privileged and special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    That does not matter to Humans. The amount of neg rep you have also shows you that people do not care we are all humans. No one wants to live as the minority in any society.
    What constitues to being a minority exactly??

We are all of the same race. FACT. Most geneological experts know this.The concept of skin colour determining nationality is a farce.

Well I'll get my way anyway, the birth rates amongst ethnic 'minorities' is much higher than 'white' people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.