Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I appear to have to go to school on my birthday. The word 'poo' comes to mind. After around 5 years of having exams on my birthday I thought this would be a change. Oh well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starchild)
    I appear to have to go to school on my birthday. The word 'poo' comes to mind. After around 5 years of having exams on my birthday I thought this would be a change. Oh well.
    shame! I guess you're a May/June baby then?

I got to go to Spanish school on my birthday... they really go in for birthdays here and my class has had 4 or 5 in the 2 weeks that I've been there and their parents send them in with little goody bags for each child in the class... so then they all end up even more ridiculously hyper due to eating it all. There are no healthy schools awards here!!

Other news, got my 2nd placement details and I've ended up a 20 minute walk away from home yet again (just in the opposite direction to last time) and I am doing my uttermost to not be made to feel guilty by all of the moaners on my course. Yes, I know it isn't fair and I was expecting to have to travel but there isn't exactly anything I can do about it so they should stop *****ing about me as its not my decision for it to be like this but also on the selfish front as no commuting for me.

ReputationRep:
    Can't wait for the end of placement!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JupiterSunshine)
    Can't wait for the end of placement!!!!!!!
    When is it? Has it not been a good one then?

What are you doing? primary or secondary etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    When is it? Has it not been a good one then?

What are you doing? primary or secondary etc?
    I'm doing Secondary History I love teaching but I hate the PGCE! All of the files and gathering evidence for q-standards, I feel like I don't have time to do everything that needs to get done!

One frustrating thing is the fact that I'm taking lessons from 4 different teachers so I could do the exact same thing in each lesson and get completely different feedback from them. What one teacher tells me to do another teacher tells me to not do that!!

I feel like I won't be a really good teacher until I'm a qualified teacher

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps teaching is one of those things that can be compared to driving: You only start learning after you pass?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shroob)
    Perhaps teaching is one of those things that can be compared to driving: You only start learning after you pass?
    I definitely agree with this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Secondary History I love teaching but I hate the PGCE! All of the files and gathering evidence for q-standards, I feel like I don't have time to do everything that needs to get done!
    I know exactly what you mean.
    We have to write a million and one essays on stupid things like classroom organisation and behaviour management. Going to an interview and telling them I got an A in an essay on behaviour management is not going to get me a job if I don't actually have any behaviour management skills in the classroom!

I sort of wish I'd done a GTP but I want the PGCE for teaching abroad and I have a love hate relationship with the academic side of it as I want to carry on with my Masters very part time whilst I'm teaching.

I feel like I won't be a really good teacher until I'm a qualified teacher
    Then we'll be like "I won't be a really good teacher until I've done my NQT year" :p:

How much have you got in your QTS folder? Mine is pretty empty....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    Then we'll be like "I won't be a really good teacher until I've done my NQT year" :p:

How much have you got in your QTS folder? Mine is pretty empty....
    QTS folder= :vroam: lol, I've got a good bit in there now but I mainly rely on lesson observations to tick off standards. What will you be doing once you're finished block B?

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone done those silly skills tests yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Has everyone done those silly skills tests yet?
    They're easier than the practise ones, especially the maths one. Passed all three frist time- and I forgot until the day before that I had them, so hadn't practised for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    They're easier than the practise ones, especially the maths one. Passed all three frist time- and I forgot until the day before that I had them, so hadn't practised for ages.
    Yeah I think I failed the practise ones!I prepared for the maths one by doing Brain Training on my DS...it must have helped because I passed first time, although I'm convinced I must have only passed by a couple of points. My housemate in training year had to do the maths one 4 times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Yeah I think I failed the practise ones!I prepared for the maths one by doing Brain Training on my DS...it must have helped because I passed first time, although I'm convinced I must have only passed by a couple of points. My housemate in training year had to do the maths one 4 times
    I failed all the practise ones too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am starting PGCE this September. I am a mature student and have 7 years of teaching experience in India. I will be paying 11500 GBP as my tuition fee (overseas student) and finding it difficult to manage the living expenses in Nottingham. I have decided to stay with my friend in Burton-on-Trent and commute every day. Luckily, I have found some partnership schools near Burton-on-Trent and Derby. Can I make a request to the University to place me in a nearby school or it’s entirely left to their discretion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amoghars)
    Hi,
    I am starting PGCE this September. I am a mature student and have 7 years of teaching experience in India. I will be paying 11500 GBP as my tuition fee (overseas student) and finding it difficult to manage the living expenses in Nottingham. I have decided to stay with my friend in Burton-on-Trent and commute every day. Luckily, I have found some partnership schools near Burton-on-Trent and Derby. Can I make a request to the University to place me in a nearby school or it’s entirely left to their discretion?
    You can certainly ask for it, they aren't required to oblige though. However, schools away from a training provider will be far less sought after, so you'd have a better chance..

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I did the skills test at Christmas. Was a really great way to start my holidays :p:.

ReputationRep:
    I am only about a third of the way through my PGCE. Started in Jan!!! I am really enjoying it but I think I started in fifth gear and really starting to feel myself fizzle out !!! I love the teaching but all the data collection for QTS is just silly considering everyone who actually looks at your file!!(sarcasm).

I just hope I actually get a 2nd placement as they really struggled for beginning one and had to go on a distant placement!!

(Original post by *River)
      I did the skills test at Christmas. Was a really great way to start my holidays :p:.
      Same, although I put the Maths one off for as long as possible.
      Don't quite know why, they weren't nearly as bad as I imagined

ReputationRep:
      QTS folder= :vroam: lol, I've got a good bit in there now but I mainly rely on lesson observations to tick off standards. What will you be doing once you're finished block B?
      Preparing for my job?? I've only got 2 placements in the UK as I'm doing a placement abroad as I'm doing primary languages.... so my placement B finishes in July. Got one more week in Spain atm

The QTS stuff just repeats itself too much. I really need to sit down and properly put stuff in things as literally mine is empty at the moment.

I did my QTS tests in December when I went home for Christmas. Just banged them all out in a day... I went in for the "lets see what happens" approach so didn't do any work for them in advance other than check out what the format was the day before.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.