Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Most Rah/Posh University Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It seems a bit pointless to quote the OP for a comment made 2 months ago, but why is Nottingham preceded by 'for some reason'? I'm not sure whether this is meant to imply it's a down to earth place, or that it no longer has any status. Whichever is the case, it can't be forgotten that a third of the students went to private school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobbler)
    definitely Newcastle, my friends live in Jesmond now they're in the their 2nd year & you can't walk to Tesco without someone head to toe in Jack Wills & their slippers haw-hawing about into Starbucks, massive backcombed hair & a massive bag even though theyre just going to get a coffee 2 seconds down the road. Bork.

So glad I'm going to Sheffield

Funny you should say this because there was an article in The Sunday Times about how RAH Newcastlle University has become. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7041470.ece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniUni)
    Funny you should say this because there was an article in The Sunday Times about how RAH Newcastlle University has become. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle7041470.ece
    Yeah I knoww, it's so true :P i don't understand how it has become so Rah when it's in one of the most friendly cities in the UK haha

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle is definitely full of RAH's!
    Jack Wills, Barbour and Superdry galore! plus pheasant for dinner and "mummy and daddy" financing EVERYTHING!
    One of my friends knows someone who won't speak to anyone if they didn't go to a private school so I think that explains it all?

I'm not bitter or an outsider there at all :P
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    It seems a bit pointless to quote the OP for a comment made 2 months ago, but why is Nottingham preceded by 'for some reason'? I'm not sure whether this is meant to imply it's a down to earth place, or that it no longer has any status. Whichever is the case, it can't be forgotten that a third of the students went to private school.
    Hi, OP here. I have not implied anything so try not to stir up trouble by saying I have. So in answer to your 'whichever case', it's no case at all. I've applied there and it's not like I'm rejecting them due to the new rah image. I was merely shocked to find out that Notts is a popular private school destination due to the 'Shottingham' label and I created this thread to find out what other people thought because most of the people I know say Oxbridge or Durham.

Gah, I hate it when people analyse every tiny thing in my posts to try and find an argument in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilderz)
    Newcastle is definitely full of RAH's!
    Jack Wills, Barbour and Superdry galore! plus pheasant for dinner and "mummy and daddy" financing EVERYTHING!
    One of my friends knows someone who won't speak to anyone if they didn't go to a private school so I think that explains it all?

I'm not bitter or an outsider there at all :P

Wow!!!!! :eek: Are you serious? :eek: Out of interest, is this a boy or girl? Which private school did they attend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    Hi, OP here. I have not implied anything so try not to stir up trouble by saying I have. So in answer to your 'whichever case', it's no case at all. I've applied there and it's not like I'm rejecting them due to the new rah image. I was merely shocked to find out that Notts is a popular private school destination due to the 'Shottingham' label and I created this thread to find out what other people thought because most of the people I know say Oxbridge or Durham.

Gah, I hate it when people analyse every tiny thing in my posts to try and find an argument in it.

I suppose in that sense I can see what you mean. It wasn't intended to be a pedantic dissection of your post and I apologise if it seemed that way; it seems to be the consensus that Nottingham is slipping these days and I thought that's what you were referring to, though now I can see that you weren't. Thanks for clarifying by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose in that sense I can see what you mean. It wasn't intended to be a pedantic dissection of your post and I apologise if it seemed that way; it seems to be the consensus that Nottingham is slipping these days and I thought that's what you were referring to, though now I can see that you weren't. Thanks for clarifying by the way.

Really? I know Nottingham isn't as high as it was in the league tables (I remember it being the highest rated univeristy after Oxbridge and London and beating the likes of Durham, Wariwck and Bristol. However, I'd say it's stopped slipping and is now around #15 in the leauge tables. It still attracts a lot of students from top public schools and is still highly respectable university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniUni)
    Really? I know Nottingham isn't as high as it was in the league tables (I remember it being the highest rated univeristy after Oxbridge and London and beating the likes of Durham, Wariwck and Bristol. However, I'd say it's stopped slipping and is now around #15 in the leauge tables. It still attracts a lot of students from top public schools and is still highly respectable university.
    I'm glad you see it that way! I suppose with me living in the city I tend to watch its rank and be the first to fear it falling further, though that said the 2011 rankings are the first ones to not show Nottingham as generally falling for about 8-9 years. Back in 2003 the Telegraph has it at 6th and the Guardian had it at 9th. When I started at Nottingham the Guardian had dropped it to 19th(!), which went down to 26th last year, and the Independent similarly dropped from 16th to then 19th. Though this year the Guardian shows it to have improved 5 places, and the Independent up one place to 18th. So perhaps you're right that now finally the slipping has stopped.

The Times on the other hand places it at consistently 9th, the best position since 1996 I guess the only thing we can conclude is that the rankings are nonsense! (Sourcing them here I admit from Wiki, as it would be an arse to look them up individually!) The only problem is that obviously prospective students do give a lot of attention to them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad you see it that way! I suppose with me living in the city I tend to watch its rank and be the first to fear it falling further, though that said the 2011 rankings are the first ones to not show Nottingham as generally falling for about 8-9 years. Back in 2003 the Telegraph has it at 6th and the Guardian had it at 9th. When I started at Nottingham the Guardian had dropped it to 19th(!), which went down to 26th last year, and the Independent similarly dropped from 16th to then 19th. Though this year the Guardian shows it to have improved 5 places, and the Independent up one place to 18th. So perhaps you're right that now finally the slipping has stopped.

The Times on the other hand places it at consistently 9th, the best position since 1996 I guess the only thing we can conclude is that the rankings are nonsense! (Sourcing them here I admit from Wiki, as it would be an arse to look them up individually!) The only problem is that obviously prospective students do give a lot of attention to them.
    It wasn't 9th in the Times. Some retard has obviously gone on the wiki page and change all of Nottingham's rankings for the Times. It is 20th I think at the moment, and has been between 13-20th for the past few years.

Notts has dropped in rankings badly, perhaps more so than any other 'top' uni in recent years. This has been due to the whole Shottingham thing, which has seen its student applications and thus entry tariff drop from the top 8 in the country, to the mid teens. Also, it has increased student numbers massively, again more than any other uni, and its spend per student scores and student satisfactions scores have dropped considerably.

It seems that Notts dont really care much about domestic ranking, only international ones. However, I think they have finally realised that their reputation is taking a hit at the moment, and are trying to improve it. They have set up a new task force to monitor rankings, and in the new university plan state that they want to be considered a solid top 10 university by 2015 once again.

Employers still see it as a top 10 uni though (see Times High Fliers survey), and thats the important thing I guess, not what pubescent school leavers think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mujeriego)
    The rahs have sieged King's College London.
    Whats a rah?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol or Exeter.

Ewww.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people who I know that fit that category (posh and/or rah) are now gravitating toward Liverpool. Yes, Liverpool, believe it or not. It's become especially hip amongst the real old line money/Sloaney and aristocratic set. I'm told a number of the girls from Downe House, St. Swithun's, Wycombe Abbey and Tudor Hall have thier sights on Liverpool.

Reason?

Apparently Liverpool's School of History has earned a world class reputation for being top notch. The English department is also highly regarded. Medicine has always been top of the line there too. However, the History department, I'm told, now is on equal footing with Cambridge or Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    A distinction has been brought to my attention by a guy at Bristol between rahs and what he called 'yahs'.

According to him, rahs are the ones who grew up around sloane sq, attended westminster and can afford a new aston every other week etc etc. Apparently most of them aren't actually that obnoxious, and don't let on a great deal about their background because for them it's just how it is. The yahs, on the other hand, are the ones wearing JW because they think that'll make them look affluent, walking down to Sainsbury's in their PJs and slippers at 4pm, yabbering away on their iPhones. Apparently they seem to be the obnoxious ones, thinking they're better than everyone else because they're wearing a Jack Wills gilet.

ReputationRep:
    i dont even know who or what Jack Wills is? what does that make me?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    i dont even know who or what Jack Wills is? what does that make me?
    Well I think you do but act like you don't to look all hipster and cool and ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yahyahyahs)
    Well I think you do but act like you don't to look all hipster and cool and ****.
    huh, since when is ignorance hip or cool?

ReputationRep:
    There are so many rahs here at Leeds Uni with plummy accents, driving flash cars and wearing Jack Wills!!

ReputationRep:
    For God sake will people ever tire of threads like this.

[Edit: Negged. Why, for God sake why.]

ReputationRep:
    I never claimed Liverpool is being overun by the polo playing and yachting crowd just yet, but some of the university's academic programmes have impressed a number of leading head mistresses at some of the posher independent all-girls boarding schools as of late. This has had a knock-on effect with a notable increase in theiir intake from the posher private schools. Again, the draw apparently has been the steady high scores in the REF for certain departments, such as their noted School of History and School of Englsih. Medicine, of course, has always been highly touted here as their coursework in tropical medicine has always received prominent attention.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.