Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And so our wonderful politicians push through something that none of the public ever got a chance to vote on...best of luck to all future students I am just pleased I am through the process already.

Very few of these loans will EVER be repaid. With the average salary at just over £25k then for the vast majority of people the interest charges will outweigh any small repayments which are made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    No you can't...
    21k is about £10 per hour.

If you want to earn over 21k a year, you don't go for a micky mouse degree.
    You don't study 'surfing management' or 'music history' for three years, with the expectation of being able to earn a good wage.

Many go for those such degree's simply because they wanted to go to experience university 'and the crack'.
    Oh you mean those mickey mouse degrees. Well of course you wont get 21k from surfing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooj)
    Oh you mean those mickey mouse degrees. Well of course you wont get 21k from surfing.
    You will if you enter regular surfing competitions in the US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondshavemorefun)
    ONLY 2012 entrants, it will not affect you if you are starting in 2011.
    Ah wow I didn't know that (positive rep for you)- I'd presumed that I would have had to pay the increased fees from 2012. Interestingly there will now be an added pressure for students this year to make their grades cos if they don't, they'll quite literally end up paying for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PerigeeApogee)
    Are you suggesting that the current political system has anything that even resembles democracy?
    We have a democratic process of electing representatives to a governing body, yes. It may not be a full democracy where the public votes for everything, but we have a democracy in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)
    Me and my butler just had a jolly good chuckle at the poor working class peasants
    Shouldn't it be "My butler and I..."

ReputationRep:
    This is a sad day for the British education system.

The result was expected but I still feel sick.

ReputationRep:
    This wont save the gov money in the medium term, these fee rises are Idealogical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Supply and demand. And the fact it is pretty expensive to train a student to become a doctor.

Personally, I think it's fair.
    Example here of student studying medicine at birmingham uni- £45000 tuition fees+ £8000 per year (average maintenance cost according to official figures).......that is approaching £100k for a medical degree. That is a massive financial burden.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    We have a democratic process of electing representatives to a governing body, yes. It may not be a full democracy where the public votes for everything, but we have a democracy in this country.
    MPs promised to vote against Fee Rises

I think Wikileaks clearly shows we are not in a Democracy
    Civil Servants and Senior Gov Ministers hold their allegiance to America not the PM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Do we heck?

Basically, If I ran a political party I would have a national vote on every key idea so then come decision time the majority of people get what they want.

The public would also know what is being spent and where its being spent.

This countries political system and finance is a joke. The 3 biggest parties are a joke. I hope the Tories & Lib Dems have to put up with riots and abuse throughout their entire reign. I hope people then vote for smaller parties instead of re-electing the mess that is Labour that got us in this mess in the first place.

Labour, Conservatives & Liberal Democrats are all as bad as each other.

Smaller parties need a chance now as I've lost faith in the 3 parties above.

ReputationRep:
    Example here of student studying medicine at birmingham uni- £45000 tuition fees+ £8000 per year (average maintenance cost according to official figures).......that is approaching £100k for a medical degree. That is a massive financial burden.
    Fully agree.

Initial burden on the taxpayer and then a life long burden on the graduate.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know exactly how much people will be paying back per month? i know that people who dont earn 21 grand wont have to pay much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    You will if you enter regular surfing competitions in the US.
    If you win yeh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)
    Do we heck?

Basically, If I ran a political party I would have a national vote on every key idea so then come decision time the majority of people get what they want.

The public would also know what is being spent and where its being spent.

This countries political system and finance is a joke. The 3 biggest parties are a joke. I hope the Tories & Lib Dems have to put up with riots and abuse throughout their entire reign. I hope people then vote for smaller parties instead of re-electing the mess that is Labour that got us in this mess in the first place.

Labour, Conservatives & Liberal Democrats are all as bad as each other.

Smaller parties need a chance now as I've lost faith in the 3 parties above.
    We do have a democracy. As I said, it might not be a strong democratic process - but it is democratic. The government are held accountable to the electorate.

You may need to look up your definition of democracy and look into different types.

ReputationRep:
    Shame the front pages will be covered in photos of the grafiti on the Churchill statue and the damage to Prince Charles' car.

ReputationRep:
    yep by voting FOR it clegg, cable etc have proven that they're not concerned about education like they "pledged"....

power hungry fools kissing the feet of the tories.

what a brilliant spectacle the lib dems have become.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomassss)
    MPs promised to vote against Fee Rises

I think Wikileaks clearly shows we are not in a Democracy
    Civil Servants and Senior Gov Ministers hold their allegiance to America not the PM
    See my last post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisBan)
    Shame the front pages will be covered in photos of the grafiti on the Churchill statue and the damage to Prince Charles' car.
    Pictures will probably also be made to look worse due to politicians with free degrees in graphics design meaning they can Photoshop them to make students look worse in the eyes of the public . DAMN YOU CLEGG ! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swahmad)
    Shouldn't it be "My butler and I..."
    Yes... I fail.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.