Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by profoflife)
    Is it just me or has everybody just about had enough of this joke of a demonstration? The focus has completely deviated from the actual issue and is now more about how much damage will be done and how to blame the police for doing their job and protecting the public.

I honestly hope the protest planned for 20th doesnt go ahead and if it does, the police should be very heavy handed.
    The MET is considering water cannons, stop and searching peope t tube stations on the day of protests, banning people from certain areas so basically more kettling.

And in the very extreme cases plastic bullets. The do not want to do any of this however the violence and damage of these protests are leading to mroe and more calls for a heavyer handed response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The MET is considering water cannons, stop and searching peope t tube stations on the day of protests, banning people from certain areas so basically more kettling.

And in the very extreme cases plastic bullets. The do not want to do any of this however the violence and damage of these protests are leading to mroe and more calls for a heavyer handed response.
    I cant see then using plastic bullets - stop and search is fine and restricting access is also fine. To be honest im sure the met would probably prefer to not allow the protest at all but we are very lucky to live in such a free and democratic country that it will go ahead im sure....and no doubt there will be problems to some degree.

Do people realise that if this happened in any other country in europe, let alone the world, the people causing trouble would get their heads kicked in....literally! If i was a police man i wouldnt hesitate battering anyone who clearly wasnt being "peacful".
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I cant see then using plastic bullets - stop and search is fine and restricting access is also fine. To be honest im sure the met would probably prefer to not allow the protest at all but we are very lucky to live in such a free and democratic country that it will go ahead im sure....and no doubt there will be problems to some degree.

Do people realise that if this happened in any other country in europe, let alone the world, the people causing trouble would get their heads kicked in....literally! If i was a police man i wouldnt hesitate battering anyone who clearly wasnt being "peacful".
    Well thats the thing France they would just tear gas them. The students complaning about police brutality should see how the police in Egypt or Mexico react. Both of which I have seen first hand and its not pretty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Well thats the thing France they would just tear gas them. The students complaning about police brutality should see how the police in Egypt or Mexico react. Both of which I have seen first hand and its not pretty
    This is what i find so hard to get my head around...one minute the police are not doing enough...then thay are too heavy handed....we dont support them enough and i really think we should....they are among the best in the world, particularly the met, but the country just knocks them. In every other country ive been to, the police are the law, literally, and would get the support of the nation.

I dont think many of the people protesting realise how lucky they actually are...not to mention the fact that in most other countries they would be paying for all thier education as well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Lol. Students? Taxpayers? (Bearing in mind that it is not the majority who have a part-time job).
    78% of students have a job to help fund their studies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    78% of students have a job to help fund their studies.
    where did you get that stat from???

ReputationRep:
    Sitting in the common room during my Oxford interview, reading the papers, submitting to defeat... it felt horrible. Couldn't they have targeted something else? No don't answer that.

However, violent protest stemmed from teenage hormonal angst really isn't the answer - tried it on my mother/other senior members... never gets me anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Go tory's (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose1990)
    How do you still not get it?!? If one more idiot says people "can't afford to go to university" I'm going to crack. You get a loan, you don't pay this back until/if you start earning over 21k. They've also made part-time study the same as this which it wasn't before hence making it possible for people who can only study part time to "afford" uni. If people don't go to uni because of the fees rise then clearly they are incapable of realising what a good investment it is (or the degree they want to do isn't a good investment in which case the economy would be better off by having them working).
    actually you are wrong they have not made part time students the same as full time. You have to spend over 25% of your time in education or you do not get a loan. So 100,000 people have to pay their fees up front. Do you still not get it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofee)
    the anti-war protesters in the 60s also failed...but everyone worships them
    Thank you. These protests are for a good cause. We have the money to spend on the Olympics and £17 million on Fifa votes, but still need to raise tuition fees? Don't put people in debt before they're even in a job. And denying poor people a place in University is clearly wrong. So for all those who are glad of the new raise, go stuff yourselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMG89)
    actually you are wrong they have not made part time students the same as full time. You have to spend over 25% of your time in education or you do not get a loan. So 100,000 people have to pay their fees up front. Do you still not get it?
    Just be glad we're not in the US or anywhere else with a decent education system or everyone would be paying a hell of a lot more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
    There is another vote on this next week...

ReputationRep:
    They can't resort to plastic bullets. Seeing what the Police have done so far, beating up people in wheelchairs and smashing innocents, they'll start shooting at any teenager they see. Keep within the good side of it all.

ReputationRep:
    where did you get that stat from???
    its from an article in the Guardian. couldn't find the main article but it is mentioned in this one

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...ts?INTCMP=SRCH

the main one is quite old so i can't find it online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    I am not psychic. They could continue with this coalition government right after the election or they could go separate and decide they want to be in opposition to Labour or the tories.

I hope the tories win.
    I see. I'd too much rather prefer the tories over the other two.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Conman)
    Thank you. These prtessts are for a good cause. We have the money to spend on the Olympics and £17 million on Fifa votes, but still need to raise tuition fees? Don't put people in debt before they're even in a job. And denying poor people a place in University is clearly wrong. So for all those who are glad of the new raise, go stuff yourselves.
    Whilst i agree that in an ideal world all education should be free (which lets face it is a little unrelastic given the cost, number of people involved, current economic climate etc) where do you suggest the money comes from?

£17m is hardly going to pay for it.....the olympics may cost a few billion but will return many more billion as well as regenerating communities and facilities over a very short space of time...

So, where do you propse the money comes from to A) pay for all education, and B) pay for the countries trillions of pounds of debt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Conman)
    They can't resort to plastic bullets. Seeing what the Police have done so far, beating up people in wheelchairs and smashing innocents, they'll start shooting at any teenager they see. Keep within the good side of it all.
    Let them use whatever they want.

This thing will end where it ends and rightly so.

ReputationRep:
    Just be glad we're not in the US or anywhere else with a decent education system or everyone would be paying a hell of a lot more!
    aaah that is also wrong. We now have the most expensive public universities in the WORLD. Yes private universities are expensive in the US but the majority of people there go to public ones, these cost less than our universities. Many are still very good, i believe Berkley is a public university (although i may be wrong)

We should never try and be like the US it is a horrendous country

ReputationRep:
    the stat is total rubbish....no way that 3 quarters of students are working whilst at uni...if so, then either they have no work to do or this stat includes working on holidays and illegal work...

ReputationRep:
    horrendous is quite strong to apply to an entire nation! that does have the best universities in the world...and i am pretty sure the UK does not have the most expensive fees...plus, you get what you pay for.

To expect it to be free is somewhat disillusioned to be honest...

Im still intrigued to know where the money is going to come from!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.