Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If London was destroyed, which city should be Britain's new capital? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Manchester ftw!:dance:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Because it's a northern ****hole?

As for legal and financial services centre: Edinburgh ****s all over Leeds in that regard.
    What makes Leeds a "****hole"?

It is in the banking, finance and insurance sectors that Leeds differs most from the financial structure of the region and the nation.[68] The city is the location of one of the largest financial centres in England outside London.[69][70][71][72][73][74] Tertiary industries such as retail, call centres, offices and media have contributed to a high rate of economic growth. The city also hosts the only subsidiary office of the Bank of England in the UK. In 2006 GVA for city was recorded at £16.3 billion,[75] with the entire Leeds City Region generating an economy of £46 billion.[76]
    Over 124,000 people work in financial and business services in Leeds, the largest number of any UK city outside London.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy...ional_services

I'm not sure how this compares to Edinburgh - but general concensus doesn't consider Leeds a ****hole, nor economically irrelevant.

(Original post by UAG)
      why would you want that village to be a capital? O_______o
      Oxford isn't really a village, it's a small city with a population of ~160k. It's slightly smaller in terms of area than Dundee, which is definitely a fully functioning city with plenty going on.

Oxford would probably survive without its two universities (whereas Cambridge would die and practically disappear overnight if they lost theirs), and I nominated it because it's a manageable size yet isn't completely stuck in the Dark Ages.

Leeds wouldn't work... the Eton-Oxbridge educated Home Counties politicians would struggle as it's not exactly a genteel environment and they don't exactly speak RP up there.

How about...
      Spoiler:
      Show
      Rhyl :party:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
      What was the 'fail'? :eyeball: In what World is the ROI a part of the UK?

And for the good friday agreement I was just saying an important event which gave the example of them being separate states..
      Failure on my part, not yours. :sigh:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by anti-duck)
      They might aswell just relocate our capital city to the US, we're already so far up their asses.
      Legend.
      Manchester/Birmingham either way my 2 fave cities ;P

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.