Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Republic of Ireland shoud re-join the Union Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarsAreFixed)
    Yes he pretty much is but wasn't that long ago his leadership was challenged, could well happen again when the stakes are this high. Sinn Féin have more support than FF and will gain seats, but no I don't think they'll be in any position of helping to form a government. http://www.boards.ie/vote/ This is an interesting link, 9000 votes and has votes for each constituency (based on 1st pref currently). Now obviously polls shouldn't be taken at face value but boards is pretty much a normal unbiased community, I would think it's fairly accurate and it's bang on for my constituency. Labour are not too far behind Fine Gael there, both will probably gain a seat each in most constituencies, if not more.

Vincent Browne is good at getting answers and showing up weaknesses but I think he's a bit too angry, tends to shout people down and doesn't let people talk or finish speaking sometimes. Wouldn't be a fan of Pat Kenny, plank, or Miriam O'Callaghan, walkover, doing them either. Somebody forthright but not angry! I'm not sure what debates are going ahead. Really though if Kenny can't face Browne what good is he as a leader? Dreading him with the queen when she visits this May.
    I think FF are looking at the worst defeat any party has suffered in the history of the Free State, and possibly worse than that suffered in 1918 by the IPP. That poll is interesting by the way, though I would be careful using it as a guide by constituency (especially the constituencies with less people participating in the poll obviously) ~ has the Labour candidate ahead in my constituency though everything I've been told suggests FG are a certainty to top the poll.

Browne is a legend by the way, absolute terrier. Doesn't give a ****e what party somebody is from, just rips straight into them. Watching his Tonight programme is hilarious. He has absolutely no grip on economics or the details of the banking crisis, yet that doesn't stop him from ranting about it hysterically night after night. I see McWilliams is offering to host a debate as well. Would be hilarious trying to make himself the centre of attention of an election debate (as he inevitably would...).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teofilo)
    I think FF are looking at the worst defeat any party has suffered in the history of the Free State, and possibly worse than that suffered in 1918 by the IPP.
    Even worse than the Workers Party in '89?

ReputationRep:
    The leadership of Míchéal Martin has probably pulled them slightly...not by much though. It will be crushing. They are BELOW Sinn Féin and afraid to canvass houses. This will be interesting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.