Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    You didn't like the whale? Did you eat the meat or just the blubber? Yup, reindeer steak is probably my favourite dish.

It was whale steak. My mother prepared it. But I think she didn't do it correctly. There's a lot of oil in whale meat, and if you don't make sure you get that out, it kinda tastes like cod-liver-oil. I was just a kid then, and absolutely hated it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    The lyrics make no sense, not even in Norwegian. Rather difficult to translate.

Straight up and down, listen to what I have to say.
    Falling is something everyone does before they learn how to fly.

Woman... bar... nice legs..

Single mothers..

Falling in and out of love...

Wtf.

The title of the song means "straight up and down", the rest is some random listing of weird things that don't really make any sense (as Luceria said). I don't think it's the kind of music where lyrics really matter all that much anyway (at least judging by the lyrics, haha). I had a bit of difficulty understanding everything he said though (due to his singing style and my Norwegian being not too amazing).
    Thank you both! (And sorry for having you listen to it if it was offensive to your ears!)
    I don't think I had ever expected the lyrics to be amazingly meaningful, still slightly disappointed though

ReputationRep:
    Seeing Prince in Olso in July :jiggy:

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Not a Prince fan, but gigs are exhausting fun. I saw Muse in Oslo in 2009, and in Bergen last summer. I'm all for more artists etc coming to Bergen instead of Oslo. It sucks having to travel so far. And it's really expensive. Well Bergen is still expensive, but it's closer.

Muse Bergen :awesome: .. About 3 metres from the stage.
    http://i51.tinypic.com/2yp18py.jpg (picture taken by me)

And we can you not post pictures in societies? Or is it just this one? It sucks. Urls are boring.
    Wouldn't mind seeing Muse but my fave album of theirs is Origin of Symmetry and I don't know how many of those songs they play now.

Prince was in Bergen last year!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the spring semester ends and people go home etc for the summer at Norwegian unis? I'm confused Is it early June or extremely different from uni to uni?
    I find no information about this whatsoever.
    Varies slightly from uni to uni, and (possibly more important,) subject. Some people at law, philosophy and those kinds of subjects (not really sure what I mean about "those kinds of subjects", so don't ask :^_^:) had their last exams early-mid may as far as I'm aware. My last is 15th June. Also varies a bit from uni to uni, and I think NTNU may finish a bit earlier than the Uni of Oslo.

Out of curiosity; why are you asking?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, thank you! I was thinking Uni of Bergen in particular. Are you doing "realfag?". I was curious because of planning reasons etc.
    Aha, and yeah, maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Seeing Prince in Olso in July :jiggy:
    I thought you meant Kronprinsen, I was very confused for a few posts, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you meant Kronprinsen, I was very confused for a few posts, haha.
    Lol, I would not pay the money I am paying to see Kronprinsen :p: I have already seen the King and Queen for free! :mmm:

I love love love Origin of Symmetry :awesome:. But I've heard they'll play some Origin songs for the last time at Reading festival :eek:. I'll never hear Hyper Music live. ..
    Surely they cannot stop playing "Bliss". They played it at Bergen and it was brilliant! Or "New Born" and "Plug in Baby"... And I haven't heard "Citizen Erased" live!
    I do like all those songs, but really I'd just want them to play the whole of OoS with a few other songs thrown in :p:

realfag
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    I love nearly all the songs. Though I'm tired of them playing "Feeling Good". Such a waste. And I'll be pissed off if they play "Neutron Star Collision".

At first I didn't get what was so funny. But then I got it, haha. Never thought about "realfag" like that.
    There are *so* many words that are high-frequency that I find stupidly funny in Norwegian. Slutt, ****, fag and fart are all good examples.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I actually can't wait to try that - I want to be able to say I've eaten shark.
    Trust me. You can wait.
    Apparently it's a bravado thing. You're a bigger man if you can eat more. Crucially though, wikipedia says it's usually consumed along with large ammounts of alcohol (I was completely sober and awaiting real food at the time. It wasn't pleasant. The smell is bad enough, and the taste is awful but the worst is when you come to swallow it. I boked several times before it went down and had the taste of ammonia/urine in my mouth for the rest of my tea).
    I can recommend the Icelandic lamb though. It was amazing. There was also an all you can eat pizza place in Reykjavik if you fancy some traditional Icelandic pizza.
    Try the shark to say you've done it, but it is not nice at all. Even our local bus driver admitted "it just tastes like piss".
    Iceland is great for its wilderness, its language, its sagas, its history, its liberal attitudes, its energy policy and its music amongst many other things, but food is definitely not one of those things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    Trust me. You can wait.
    Apparently it's a bravado thing. You're a bigger man if you can eat more. Crucially though, wikipedia says it's usually consumed along with large ammounts of alcohol (I was completely sober and awaiting real food at the time. It wasn't pleasant. The smell is bad enough, and the taste is awful but the worst is when you come to swallow it. I boked several times before it went down and had the taste of ammonia/urine in my mouth for the rest of my tea).
    I can recommend the Icelandic lamb though. It was amazing. There was also an all you can eat pizza place in Reykjavik if you fancy some traditional Icelandic pizza.
    Try the shark to say you've done it, but it is not nice at all. Even our local bus driver admitted "it just tastes like piss".
    Iceland is great for its wilderness, its language, its sagas, its history, its liberal attitudes, its energy policy and its music amongst many other things, but food is definitely not one of those things.
    Umm . . . how do you know what piss tastes like? Haha.

Anyway, yeah, I just want to try it once or twice to say that I have. Did you try svið?

Skyr!
    Great stuff. I could live off that.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, yeah. That reminds me of the famous Petter Solberg quote (the man can't speak English).
    "It's not the fart that kills you, it's the smell." ( It's not the speed that kills you, it's the bang).

What about time machine? Tidsmaskin. Pronounced "titsmachine".. Someone mentioned that to me once.
    Haha yes I've heard that before! I've also heard "How do you say 'air conditioning' on English?"

Yes, tidsmaskin is a funny word. I also like the expression "ta en titt" :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I love how changeable the weather is here.

Yesterday? Rainy and 12 C. Today? Sunny and warm. 27 C
    :awesome:
    Sitter på balkongen :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Skyr!
    Not tried it! Looks a lot better than the various fish products I saw though!

Umm . . . how do you know what piss tastes like? Haha.

Anyway, yeah, I just want to try it once or twice to say that I have. Did you try svið?
    Because it's sterile and I like the taste? Nah. It tasted very much like the smell of a poorly maintained public toilet. It would have been infinitely better if I was so drunk I couldn't stand, but it's a once in a lifetime thing I guess.

I didn't try svið. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad as long as you didn't think about where it came from (it is the head cheese right? And not the whole head?). It doesn't sound like the most appetising foodstuff though.

Slightly less traditional. I once had some pizza in Longyearbyen. Flavours included peanut and pineapple and curry and gherkin. It was quite nice, but definitely different! Must be an Arctic thing.

ReputationRep:
    I spent one year on Svalbard and enjoye dit so much i got myself a norwegian gf haha Also it was such a great time and country I am going there to study for 2 years in tromso on a masters of Biology course

any of you have any tips for Tromso, also know any funding i could try to apply for before i go

cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    Not tried it! Looks a lot better than the various fish products I saw though!

Because it's sterile and I like the taste? Nah. It tasted very much like the smell of a poorly maintained public toilet. It would have been infinitely better if I was so drunk I couldn't stand, but it's a once in a lifetime thing I guess.

I didn't try svið. I suppose it wouldn't be so bad as long as you didn't think about where it came from (it is the head cheese right? And not the whole head?). It doesn't sound like the most appetising foodstuff though.

Slightly less traditional. I once had some pizza in Longyearbyen. Flavours included peanut and pineapple and curry and gherkin. It was quite nice, but definitely different! Must be an Arctic thing.
    It's really good. It's yoghurt but basically just pure protein.

Ahh, not so good then . . .

It's half a whole singed and boiled sheep head with the eye still on but no brain.

Did you see any polar bears?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sealboy)
    I spent one year on Svalbard and enjoye dit so much i got myself a norwegian gf haha Also it was such a great time and country I am going there to study for 2 years in tromso on a masters of Biology course

any of you have any tips for Tromso, also know any funding i could try to apply for before i go

cheers
    Wow, pretty hardcore to live on Svalbard for a year! What was that like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sealboy)

cheers
    I envy you so much! I got it into my head once that I was going to pursue a career in geophysics and try to study at the UNIS centre in Longyearbyen or do research at Ny Alesund. Then I thought it probably isn't the smartest career move to plan your education around spending a year or two at a place you liked with no real sense of direction afterwards. I'd jump at the opportunity in a heartbeat, but I decided straight physics probably left more doors open.
    Tromso looked amazing from what I saw when we took off from the airport . I definitely want to pay northern Norway a visit one day. It looks like great hiking and skiing country!

It's really good. It's yoghurt but basically just pure protein.

Ahh, not so good then . . .

It's half a whole singed and boiled sheep head with the eye still on but no brain.

Did you see any polar bears?
    Eeek! Ok, on second thoughts, I'd probably stay away from the svið. I can't imagine it tastes much better than any other part of the sheep and I doubt I could stomach having my dinner looking back at me! A whole head is quite a lot though. Is it one head per person?

I saw one polar bear (alive any way. They have stuffed ones in the school and museum amongst other places). I was on a schooner somewhere near Trygghamna. We'd just been walking along the shore and came back on the boat. About 10 minutes later somebody saw the bear walking along the route we'd taken from the other direction. We reckon it had our scent!
    You could tell how big and powerful it was from the boat but it looked like a moving rock to the naked eye (we had to use binoculars). It would have been great to have seen him closer.

ReputationRep:
    I'm joining right... now. Skjera?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matsL)
    I'm joining right... now. Skjera?
    Sup. Ingenting. Bare sitter og se på TV.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.