Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have to watch it!

I love every movie by Darren Aronofsky so far.
    And Natalie Portman... :drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    It was deliberately melodramatic, and I did giggle at some parts (e.g. the biting scene) but I wouldn't say laughable. It gets annoying when the people obviously didn't realise what type of film it was so just sit there laughing inanely at things that really aren't funny...
    The webbed feet made me laugh out loud, I think I prefer requiem to black swan.

ReputationRep:
    So pleased to see that the overwhelming majority of people posting here loved this film.

Natalie is a rare combination ; beautiful, talented and intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fjarskafinn)
    Did a bit of reading around online about it, and found the thing that made it all come together.
    What's the thing??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    You say "but her performance in Black Swan would look shoddy to a professional" Since when does that matter? What proportion of the intended audience is professional ballet dancers?
    I'm not a professional ballet dancer, in fact I've never done ballet in my life, but it look shoddy to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmjessop)
    I'm not a professional ballet dancer, in fact I've never done ballet in my life, but it look shoddy to me.
    Oh, you're qualified to judge then. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's probably why it's called a"flim" and not a "ballet" :facepalm:

Films have actors, ballets have dancers.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, you're qualified to judge then. :rolleyes:

Anyway, that's probably why it's called a"flim" and not a "ballet" :facepalm:

Films have actors, ballets have dancers.
    How about all the professional ballerinas that we're in the film then??

ReputationRep:
    Saw Black Swan yesterday, and must I say, that was one ****ing amazing movie. The best I've seen in a really long time. I would definitely go see it again.

I think both Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis did great work. There was never a moment where I felt like either of them were forcing or trying to get a result which was impressive given the circumstances of the film... well done.

ReputationRep:
    How about all the professional ballerinas that we're in the film then??
    well presumably it was not them you were referring to!

ReputationRep:
    well presumably it was not them you were referring to!
    Well no, but what I was saying is that if those professional dancers are allowed to be in a film why can't the lead roles by played by professional dancers too? It's not as clear cut as ballet for dancers and films for actors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haribo kid)
    Did you not find some things laughable at times though?
    yes, but that is intentional. It's a deliberately absurd and over the top. It's genre movie. It's from the stable of exploitation/horror (like Dario Argento, for example)

Well no, but what I was saying is that if those professional dancers are allowed to be in a film why can't the lead roles by played by professional dancers too? It's not as clear cut as ballet for dancers and films for actors.
    oh dear, oh dear. Not this again. This has been discussed at length. Go back to post #122 and read forwards

ReputationRep:
    Natalie did an excellent job- a ballet dancer wouldn't have been suitable for the lead role unless it had been a straightforward ballet film. The psychological challenges faced by Nina were at the core of the film and only a true actress could portray those emotions. Another point to mention is that there were few shots of Nina's whole body in motion and that the same 'black swan' sequence was shown throughout. Aronofsky's clever use of mirrors and close-up shots of Nina's feet made it possible for professional ballerinas to be used when required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kbountra)
    Natalie did an excellent job- a ballet dancer wouldn't have been suitable for the lead role unless it had been a straightforward ballet film. The psychological challenges faced by Nina were at the core of the film and only a true actress could portray those emotions. Another point to mention is that there were few shots of Nina's whole body in motion and that the same 'black swan' sequence was shown throughout. Aronofsky's clever use of mirrors and close-up shots of Nina's feet made it possible for professional ballerinas to be used when required.
    exactly. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    What's the thing??
    It was something that I hadn't fully realised on my first viewing of the film - that Lily never did anything to purposefully undermine Nina. Upon a second viewing, with that in mind, the characterisation of Lily became much clearer to me, and I enjoyed it far more because I wasn't thinking "Well, is she evil or isn't she?" without realising that that was part of the point of the film.

ReputationRep:
    I got around to watching it at the cinema yesterday, was so much more intense than just watching it on my laptop, after it ended I just sat there and watched the credits, I never watch the credits

Would really encourage people to see this projected before it goes from the cinemas

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I got around to watching it at the cinema yesterday, was so much more intense than just watching it on my laptop, after it ended I just sat there and watched the credits, I never watch the credits

Would really encourage people to see this projected before it goes from the cinemas
    I'm glad I didn't watch it on my laptop first. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)

(Original post by unknownking321)
    I'm glad I didn't watch it on my laptop first. :yes:
    I couldn't agree more. This film MUST be seen on the big screen to get the full effect.

ReputationRep:
    yes, but that is intentional. It's a deliberately absurd and over the top. It's genre movie. It's from the stable of exploitation/horror (like Dario Argento, for example)
    It may have been intentional but that doesn't stop it from being laughable, and I can understand why people were laughing. I'm not really a big fan of melodramatic films though.

ReputationRep:
    It was an excellent film.

ReputationRep:
    Sumptuous film. I forget how powerful the music is, it gave my goosebumps goosebumps in the final scene.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.