Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

• Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Just found out my copy of HOD - a 1994 Penguin edition complete with that book smell :love:

Also realised I barely read any fiction at all this year, tut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    no pain no gain :sexface:

twas lovely. i think the ambiguity interposed with the various imagery accentuates the sexual innuendo in regards to harry's wand. not only does it portray the character as perhaps a little foolish and reckless, but also amplifies the setting. the juxtaposition of reality and fantasy is clearly expressed here through the character's actions which are hyperboles for the theme of sexual burgeoning. indeed, the reader can quite clearly see the burdens of puberty that both characters harbour. the vagueness in terms of "moaning" could either be a moan of frustration, or pleasure. the reader can never be quite clear. the two characters symbolise teenage oppression, manifesting as violence, "he threw", and they act as thematic vehicles in terms of idealised archetypes of teenage experience.

all in all, 10/10

---

here's mine. :sexface: it's pretty big so don't be too surprised by it.

knock yourself out

Jesus, you are awfully good at analysing cr*p in a very good, literary way! You had almost convinced me it was a masterpiece Seriously, I think I need to learn how to blag with more style before I do A level English lit.

I can't believe it was already on TSR so I could have gone searching instead of embarrassing myself first! I think the moral of the story is "use the search function"

I really liked it, actually! I loved the atmosphere of the first one (again, sorry, I need to get my fancy analysis up to scratch!) - you really made a mundane setting feel very creepy and unsettling. I quite liked the second stanza actually :cool: but I wasn't so keen on the end of the fourth and the fifth... Generally, good, though could maybe use an edit to bring it down so only the really punchy sections remained? Better than what I could write though!

Now, the second one is probably my favourite (I promise, not because of the length ), but I'm going to have to second MSB in praising "pale as a cut fish" and I thought the extension of that image with "cracks like thin scales" was really good. Probably the only thing is I think the enjambment that leads to "by morning" is a little OTT and I might be tempted to do away with the third line which doesn't seem to add much? (I hope you don't mind me giving constr. criticism?)

I :love: the imagery in the third one as well. I really like: "It breaks and waves and divides again-- breathing, heaving", "The faith in our hands brings up empty nets" and the final description of the woman. I'm a little confused with what it is about (sorry! ), but I love the sound of the words.

All in all, really good - much better than I was expecting. Have you considered entering Foyles or Christopher Tower or something?

ReputationRep:
    Announcement: Poll Closed

Winner is Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad!

Spoiler:
    Show
    with 1984 coming a close second :nothing:

Congratulations to BookWormShanti for choosing awesomeness :teeth:

So that means we're definitely reading Conrad for the duration of January.

Some pretty image covers :3

Spoiler:
    Show

Or if you're skaffy, wordsworth £1.99, or if you're EVEN MORE SKAFFY, then get it for free.

First one to finish the book gets a prize. No idea what the prize is but hey ho.

Have fun, guys.

ReputationRep:
    Cool
    Better get cracking then...

ReputationRep:
    great

Hope it arrives soon :K:
    I knew I shouldn't have gone on amazon. I went on there for ONE book and ended up with a basket of eight So much fail it's awesome :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    X
    I won't be taking part in any races because I am firmly in the slow readers group, but is there a date that you wish for us to be able to discuss it by, without worrying about spoilers?

ReputationRep:
    Yay! will order it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    great

Hope it arrives soon :K:
    I knew I shouldn't have gone on amazon. I went on there for ONE book and ended up with a basket of eight So much fail it's awesome :awesome:
    Ditto ¬.¬

I'm gonna blame you, it'll make me feel better :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potiron)
    I won't be taking part in any races because I am firmly in the slow readers group, but is there a date that you wish for us to be able to discuss it by, without worrying about spoilers?
    Hmm.......I think we could 'discuss' it as we read it, give or take the general reading speeds.

Perhaps a more thorough discussion will take part on the last week, since that's when I'll be opening nominations for the next month

So 3 weeks to read the book? Should be fine.

:fyi: library > amazon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kedix)
    Ditto ¬.¬

I'm gonna blame you, it'll make me feel better :P
    Naww, don't do that I'm already drowning in my own guilt

That may be true for yours but my central libraries classics selection is dire :mad: Literally two sides of those short shelves :/

And I hate ordering things because I seem to have issues with actually going to the library and picking the books up I currently have two that have been waiting two weeks

ReputationRep:
    That may be true for yours but my central libraries classics selection is dire :mad: Literally two sides of those short shelves :/

And I hate ordering things because I seem to have issues with actually going to the library and picking the books up I currently have two that have been waiting two weeks
    tut tut.

although, i find it really embarrassing when i have loads of fines to return books because they're like, "Do you know you have outstanding fees of £7.32?" and I have to mumble something about not having the money with me and looking at my feet.

they also give really me big evils, as if i killed someone. :rolleyes:

come on, i live in Edinburgh's chav central. i'm pretty sure none of them are going to be complaining if there's no Othello in their library.

ReputationRep:
    tut tut.

although, i find it really embarrassing when i have loads of fines to return books because they're like, "Do you know you have outstanding fees of £7.32?" and I have to mumble something about not having the money with me and looking at my feet.

come on, i live in Edinburgh's chav central. i'm pretty sure none of them are going to be complaining if there's no Othello in their library.
    hahaha, you never know, appearances can often be deceiving
    I'm under sixteen at the moment so no fines for me which is probably one reason I'm so relaxed about leaving books overdue

One thing I do love about my library though, is that they don't kick you out for eating. It even has a caffe attached :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Naww, don't do that I'm already drowning in my own guilt
    Aww, well we can feel guilty together, I went to buy my £3 copy of heart of darkness and ended up spending £28.06. Which I shouldn't really be spending considering I decided to smash my iPhone to pieces at work today and have to spend £50 getting it repaired

ReputationRep:
    Ordered Heart of Darkness :yy:

ReputationRep:
    reservation failed ?!?

ReputationRep:
    Heart of darkness

Spoiler:
    Show
    now it's two books I have to read :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I had to go up to the attic to find my copy:eek: Luckily it was easy to find.

It looks like. Has essays and stuff too

ReputationRep:
    tut tut.

Don't worry - my Dad came into the local library when I was 10ish (he left the area when I was 5) and was told he had over £60 fines...

Also...
    if you do, i'll make you a group moderator
    Just kidding - I know it doesn't really count, but

Anyway,
    This is my edition
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heart-Darkne...570332&sr=8-15

I'm on about page 70, near the start of part 2. That said, I'm a quick reader, I luckily already have my copy and I'm snowed in. I don't really want to be first to finish cos it seems mean when I already got my suggestion picked so someone please read faster or I'll have to put off the last page indefinitely I'm really enjoying it so far, though the prose can be quite impenetrable in places. It really builds suspense and intrigue. I think it's going to be one of those books where you have to go back and re-read it though for the full impact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BookWormShanti)
    I'm on about page 70, near the start of part 2. That said, I'm a quick reader, I luckily already have my copy and I'm snowed in. I don't really want to be first to finish cos it seems mean when I already got my suggestion picked so someone please read faster or I'll have to put off the last page indefinitely I'm really enjoying it so far, though the prose can be quite impenetrable in places. It really builds suspense and intrigue. I think it's going to be one of those books where you have to go back and re-read it though for the full impact.
    Wow :eek:

you are fast.

Incidentally, I'm getting that edition as well.

(Original post by BookWormShanti)
    Jesus, you are awfully good at analysing cr*p in a very good, literary way! You had almost convinced me it was a masterpiece Seriously, I think I need to learn how to blag with more style before I do A level English lit.
    it's so easy to blag your way through english :rofl:

Now, the second one is probably my favourite (I promise, not because of the length ), but I'm going to have to second MSB in praising "pale as a cut fish" and I thought the extension of that image with "cracks like thin scales" was really good. Probably the only thing is I think the enjambment that leads to "by morning" is a little OTT and I might be tempted to do away with the third line which doesn't seem to add much? (I hope you don't mind me giving constr. criticism?)
    nah. i love, need constructive criticism.

i'm glad you enjoyed it, the second is my favourite as well, and mostly what i write as well so YAY!

I :love: the imagery in the third one as well. I really like: "It breaks and waves and divides again-- breathing, heaving", "The faith in our hands brings up empty nets" and the final description of the woman. I'm a little confused with what it is about (sorry! ), but I love the sound of the words.

All in all, really good - much better than I was expecting. Have you considered entering Foyles or Christopher Tower or something?
    i wasn't so sure what i meant about the third one as well,

it's why i need to really plan before i splurge :erm:

something with wanting to have a child? but not being able to :erm:

ajnfewjncdfejwdsufd

i hate talking about my writing. death of the author etc... etc....

i plan on entering the Tower contest, except the theme this year is Simplicity, which is a bit of a :nothing:, but the £3000 does seem plenty nice :teeth:. are you planning on entering

ReputationRep:

i plan on entering the Tower contest, except the theme this year is Simplicity, which is a bit of a :nothing:, but the £3000 does seem plenty nice :teeth:. are you planning on entering
    Yay, edition twins Not really, I haven't written any poetry for a while now and I'm not good anyway. Also, I won't be 16 by the deadline so I can't - and you're right, what kind of a theme is it? Maybe next year, if something miraculous happens!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.