Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can you get many academic books for kindle, or if i can find an ebook would i be able to transfer it to the kindle? i've been thinking about buying one for weeks but still haven't got round to it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crissyleigh)
    Can you get many academic books for kindle, or if i can find an ebook would i be able to transfer it to the kindle? i've been thinking about buying one for weeks but still haven't got round to it
    Check the format on it: If it's mobi, the kindle reads if, along with pdf and a few others. However, if it's e-pub, kindle won't read it. If it's not DRMed, you can convert it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    Check the format on it: If it's mobi, the kindle reads if, along with pdf and a few others. However, if it's e-pub, kindle won't read it. If it's not DRMed, you can convert it.
    ahh Okay thankyou

have just ordered mine, so looking forward to using it when it arrives

ReputationRep:
    I have one of these cases for my kindle, they are quite good...nearly as good as google is for searching for epub files...and calibre is at converting them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davhopkins)
    I have one of these cases for my kindle, they are quite good...nearly as good as google is for searching for epub files...and calibre is at converting them!
    That cover is really prety... and Calibre is amazing in all ways!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    That cover is really prety... and Calibre is amazing in all ways!
    Haha, it is! It was epically useful when I first got a kindle a few years back, it had that novelty about it meaning friends were knocking it about all over the place, but apart from a few scratches on the back it still works fine! Great case!

And without calibre, I'd have spent a lot more on the amazon kindle store for sure!
    Great software!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Another question for anyone who knows...

Does anyone know of a good non-leather case which you don't have to remove to use the kindle? I have found this one which looks sturdy and practical http://tuff-luv.com/polka-hot-faux-l...-3-purple.html

However, it's only in pink, red or purple polka-dot, which I'm not so keen on (Although the red's growing on me). There is also no space for storage of a light or inbuilt light, which would be a good extra. They also have other non-leather ones but they aren't as 'sleek' which I prefer.
    I got this one for my mum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

It's a really lovely case (I think they do other patterns) and it has space for bits and bobs as well. Have a look at their range maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harleygrant)
    I got this one for my mum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ef=oss_product

It's a really lovely case (I think they do other patterns) and it has space for bits and bobs as well. Have a look at their range maybe?

(Original post by davhopkins)

Thanks for the help, I am adding all these to the list!

ReputationRep:
    from personal experience of having a Kindle - i can say it's worthwhile investment if your read a lot of novels and etc.

If you have PDF's - the best thing i can say is to convert them using Mobipocket Creator...HOWEVER some of the pictures might not go through - for example if you are reading a book with loads of screen shots and etc.

the best thing to do in those circumstances is buy it on kindle store...i get along fine with my Kindle 3G tho!!

ReputationRep:
    Although expensive, the leather lighted cover is great for the kindle and I love it. I find PDF's not great at all to use, the format often makes it difficult to read.
    And get Calibre to convert free ePub books to the Kindle! It's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I'm going away to university in September and since it is quite a distance to my uni of choice, obviously I'm not going to be able to trawl my rather weighty book collection.

This got me thinking about kindles. I absolutely love books and therefore have shyed away from them for quite a while and was wondering people's general opinions of them? Things like are they worth the money? Are they easy to read from? Did it put you off buying actual books?

After all they are quite an investment in comparison to tatty second hand 50p paperbacks!

ReputationRep:
    I got one for Christmas, and it is brilliant. The screen is very very easy to read, and the ease of buying books is great - I click buy on Amazon and am reading it within a minute!
    I still read "real" books, as I recently inherited A LOT of them, but the books that I have bought, I have bought on my Kindle... I also find it useful as my main Economics textbooks are pdfs, and having a kindle means that i can read them everywhere without huge print costs...

I still have a thing for tatty second hand paperbacks though, and not all books are avaliable for Kindle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpySapper)
    I got one for Christmas, and it is brilliant. The screen is very very easy to read, and the ease of buying books is great - I click buy on Amazon and am reading it within a minute!
    I still read "real" books, as I recently inherited A LOT of them, but the books that I have bought, I have bought on my Kindle... I also find it useful as my main Economics textbooks are pdfs, and having a kindle means that i can read them everywhere without huge print costs...

I still have a thing for tatty second hand paperbacks though, and not all books are avaliable for Kindle.
    But are the electronic books expensive? I know you can torrent them but I'd rather support writers rather than swindle them out of what little royalties they receive....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by who.the.heck)
    But are the electronic books expensive? I know you can torrent them but I'd rather support writers rather than swindle them out of what little royalties they receive....
    Look on Amazon lol
    Generally they are slightly cheaper than their paperback counterparts, although there are some that are more expensive.

Look at it a different way: Is paying £2 more for a digital book to be able to read it straight away worse than paying less, waiting for it, and having to carry it around...? Either way it's still cheaper than a brick and mortar bookshop lol.

Amazon do have books on offer - Limitless (the film with De Niro and Bradley Cooper) is £1 at the moment - it was a book first...

Overall, I think it depends on what books you read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpySapper)
    Look on Amazon lol
    Generally they are slightly cheaper than their paperback counterparts, although there are some that are more expensive.

Look at it a different way: Is paying £2 more for a digital book to be able to read it straight away worse than paying less, waiting for it, and having to carry it around...? Either way it's still cheaper than a brick and mortar bookshop lol.

Amazon do have books on offer - Limitless (the film with De Niro and Bradley Cooper) is £1 at the moment - it was a book first...

Overall, I think it depends on what books you read.
    I think I'd rather wait and pay less...

But thay's just me >>> cheapskate!

(Original post by who.the.heck)
      huh? you are happy to buy cheap second-hand books but not happy to torrent books?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Kolya)
      huh? you are happy to buy cheap second-hand books but not happy to torrent books?
      I was hoping nobody would pick up on the hypocrisy of it >.<

....I'm just going to sit over there and shut up now.

Although TO BE FAIR at least second hand paperbacks have been bought by SOMEONE at SOME POINT.

ReputationRep:
      Buy yourself a good phone with a good sized screen and you can download the kindle app anyway. I have a HTC Desire and the screen is good enough to read the ebooks on.
      Plus, you'll have an awesome phone as well as being able to read books.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Muffled Snuffles)
      But then why wouldn't the OP just read off a laptop screen (lesser of two evils) instead of squinting at a small LCD screen? Though they both cause eye strain, the screen is bigger.

The thing about the Kindle is it's a nice size, it's e-ink and not backlit. There's no eye strain like you would with a laptop or mobile screen.
      If you don't mind me asking, what's e-ink?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Muffled Snuffles)
      I don't know much about the technology behind it, but visually it makes the Kindle text look exactly like that of a real book rather than a bunch of pixels on a computer screen. Additional benefits are that there is little glare so can be read in sunlight and the battery can go for 1-2 months without charge since it's low power consumption. And of course, it won't strain your eyes as backlit screens do.
      Ooh that's certainly snazzy technology

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.