Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Want help with Russian History essays? :) Watch

• View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
    Yes!
    88.89%
    A little ...
    11.11%
    Nope, sorry, it didn't do anything for me
    0%

ReputationRep:
    Here's one for you:

'To what extent did economic factors drive political change in Russia in the period 1900-2000?'

Note that this is for extended coursework and so the dates are provisional, but it has to be a hundred-year study and will encompass roughly the 20th Century. I might go back to include the tail end of the 19th as well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalleusMaleficarum)
    Here's one for you:

'To what extent did economic factors drive political change in Russia in the period 1900-2000?'

Note that this is for extended coursework and so the dates are provisional, but it has to be a hundred-year study and will encompass roughly the 20th Century. I might go back to include the tail end of the 19th as well.
    I would choose the dates 1881 - 1991/2 if I were you

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I was wondering if you had any advice on structure and key points on the question title 'What was the significance of the Kornilov Affair in the Bolshevik seizure of power' and also if you had any links to some good contemporary/secondary sources on the topic.

Thank you so much in advance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MKS)
    Hello

I was wondering if you had any advice on structure and key points on the question title 'What was the significance of the Kornilov Affair in the Bolshevik seizure of power' and also if you had any links to some good contemporary/secondary sources on the topic.

Thank you so much in advance
    It was important because;

-It increased support for the Bolsheviks; Kornilov released Bolsheviks who had been arrested in the 'July Days' attempted coup.
    - Kornilov also asked the Bolsheviks for help and in return received a large amount of guns which were of great use in October.
    -The handling of the Kornilov affair showed the Prov. Govt. to be weak; the Russian people would support a revolution which saw it replaced (remember the Prov. Govt. still had Russia in The First World War)
    - It showed what the 'right wing' alternative would have been; it radicalised many people who were central or left leaning to the ideas of Bolshevism rather than living under a military state

I don't have my books with me; they're at uni :rolleyes: but I've just C + P a reading list on this subject

H. Asher – The Kornilov Affair: A Reinterpretation (1970) Russian Review XXIX
    O. Figes – A People's Tragedy: The Russian Revolution 1891 -1924 (1996) Random House
    A.F. Kerensky – The Catastrophe (1977) Milwood
    R. Kowalski – The Russian Revolution 1917-1921 (1997) Routledge
    J.L. Munck – The Kornilov Revolt: A Critical Examination of Sources and Research (1987) Aarhus University Press
    R. Pipes- The Russian Revolution 1899-1919 (1990) Collins Harvill
    J.N. Westwood – Endurance and Endeavour: Russian History 1812-1992 (1993) Oxford University Press
    A. Wood – The Russian Revolution 1861-1917,(1993) Routledge, New York

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Please could you help me with a history essay question because I'm completely clueless about what key events/ moments I should mention in the essay.

The question is ...
    How significant was stalinism in the development of modern Russia between 1856-1964?
    (OCR)

I have a basic plan but I'm not really sure what to include because I'm thinking of writing 360 words per paragraph and there is so much content to include about all of the leaders.

Here's the plan:
    1) ideology of leadership.
    2) structure of gov.
    3) dealing with opposition.
    4)economy & society
    5) war and foreign policy.

I skimmed your thread and your replies are student friendly and really helpful. I'd really appreciate if you could help me. Thanks in advance.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historystruggler)
    Hi,
    Please could you help me with a history essay question because I'm completely clueless about what key events/ moments I should mention in the essay.

The question is ...
    How significant was stalinism in the development of modern Russia between 1856-1964?
    (OCR)

I have a basic plan but I'm not really sure what to include because I'm thinking of writing 360 words per paragraph and there is so much content to include about all of the leaders.

Here's the plan:
    1) ideology of leadership.
    2) structure of gov.
    3) dealing with opposition.
    4)economy & society
    5) war and foreign policy.

I skimmed your thread and your replies are student friendly and really helpful. I'd really appreciate if you could help me. Thanks in advance.
    Have you looked at splitting it down into social / political and economical?

Look at the impact Stalin had on each one first then use other leaders who'd have equal or more impact than him in that area.

remember you don't have to include every leader in every paragraph. They all must be mentioned at least once to get you a grade above a C in the whole essay; so don't worry about cramming each one in. As for too many examples you're in a very exclusive club Just choose the best ones for the job; or try and spread them out, sometimes one example can be used in more than one paragraph, you should use this in the one you've got less examples for .

try planning it out with the three themes social / political / economical and see how you get on; quote me if you need more help;

Tom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crocker710)
    Have you looked at splitting it down into social / political and economical?

Look at the impact Stalin had on each one first then use other leaders who'd have equal or more impact than him in that area.

remember you don't have to include every leader in every paragraph. They all must be mentioned at least once to get you a grade above a C in the whole essay; so don't worry about cramming each one in. As for too many examples you're in a very exclusive club Just choose the best ones for the job; or try and spread them out, sometimes one example can be used in more than one paragraph, you should use this in the one you've got less examples for .

try planning it out with the three themes social / political / economical and see how you get on; quote me if you need more help;

Tom

Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Sorry, but I'm kinda confused.

'Look at the impact Stalin had on each one first then use other leaders who'd have equal or more impact than him in that area.'

Does this mean that I would only have exclude the leaders with little/ no impact from each paragraph and just mention the important ones? But that would probably end up with me get a low grade because the other leaders would have to be mentioned at least once, like you wrote, to get anything above a C.

'try planning it out with the three themes social / political / economical'

Errr....what does this mean? You'll have to explain it a bit more because sometimes it takes a while for me to grasp things easily.

Also, that plan you read is a FIXED plan, something my teacher created so.... unfortunately, she'll probably go ape if anyone doesn't follow it through. I haven't got much of a choice. If she says combine economy with society then you do it. Oh well. I've started on one para (economy and society) but I'm not really sure If I'm doing the right method or even if it makes any sense.

Also, how do you define 'stalinism' anyway?

And maybe, if it's not too much hassle, you could suggest some major/ turning-point events that are all purpose.

Thanks again. Hope I'm not asking too much.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by historystruggler)
    Hi Tom,
    Thanks for the speedy reply. Sorry, but I'm kinda confused.

'Look at the impact Stalin had on each one first then use other leaders who'd have equal or more impact than him in that area.'

Does this mean that I would only have exclude the leaders with little/ no impact from each paragraph and just mention the important ones? But that would probably end up with me get a low grade because the other leaders would have to be mentioned at least once, like you wrote, to get anything above a C.

'try planning it out with the three themes social / political / economical'

Errr....what does this mean? You'll have to explain it a bit more because sometimes it takes a while for me to grasp things easily.

Also, that plan you read is a FIXED plan, something my teacher created so.... unfortunately, she'll probably go ape if anyone doesn't follow it through. I haven't got much of a choice. If she says combine economy with society then you do it. Oh well. I've started on one para (economy and society) but I'm not really sure If I'm doing the right method or even if it makes any sense.

Also, how do you define 'stalinism' anyway?

And maybe, if it's not too much hassle, you could suggest some major/ turning-point events that are all purpose.

Thanks again. Hope I'm not asking too much.
    remember you don't have to include every leader in every paragraph. They all must be mentioned at least once to get you a grade above a C in the whole essay; so don't worry about cramming each one in.
    I don't see how only including strong examples will lower your mark. If anything trying to get every leader into every paragraph will drag your mark down significantly as there'll be no room for analysis.

Your teacher is much more likely to think you've put in a lot of effort by not using the plan you've been provided with rather than 'going ape'. She's hardly going to show for independent thinking.
    It's fairly straightforward

into - outline your argument
    para 1 - economy
    para 2 - society
    para 3 - politics
    conclusion

Start each theme with how stalin changed / impacted the development of modern Russia within that theme. Then find some examples from other leaders which also had a major affect on Russian history, compare their impact at the end of the paragraph and sum up which leader had the most impact within that theme.

Defining Stalinism is something which people still argue about. Think about it as the way in which stalin applied communism to the USSR

I don't fully understand what you mean by 'all purpose' but some turning points are

- 1861 emancipation of the surfs
    - 1881 assassination of AII
    - 1905 revolution
    - Feb 1917 revolution
    - oct 1917 revolution
    - 1921 Kronstadt revolt
    - 1924 lenin's death
    - 1929 stalin's control of the politburo
    - 1933 purges
    - 1941 world war two
    - 1945 end of world war two / iron curtain
    - 1953 death of Stalin
    - 1962 cuban missile crisis

(the dates are off the top of my head so may be a year out either side but are fairly accurate)

Tom
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiranjaimon)
    This may be quite easy.

Why was there conflict between the people or russia and their government

period 1900-1917
    economy
    politics
    society
    failed wars
    food shortage
    poor infrastructure
    The speed of modernisation
    the composition of Russia
    ect.ect.ect.

there's hundreds of reasons why there was conflict;You've got a very very nice question

Tom
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiranjaimon)
    Can you go into a bit of detail? :') Like for the others?
    How'd you mean? If you read through my thread it explains why all of these are reasons for conflict ( and many more )

ReputationRep:
    i really need help with this essay tom,i have done a political section but i dont know what to write for social, industrial/economical factors
    help!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i would really appreciate help with a plan for the essay question "What was the short term significance of Stalin's policies on the Russian peasantry?" I was thinking of dividing it up into political/economic and social.

Help please? Thanks
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adstar)
    i really need help with this essay tom,i have done a political section but i dont know what to write for social, industrial/economical factors
    help!
    I kind of need to know the title to your essay to give you any help :rolleyes: also it'll be very helpful if you also tell me what you've already done

(Original post by angel140)
    Hi, i would really appreciate help with a plan for the essay question "What was the short term significance of Stalin's policies on the Russian peasantry?" I was thinking of dividing it up into political/economic and social.

Help please? Thanks
    What do you have already?
    do another post with the three themes written out with examples you could use in them and I'll see where you can add / change them

Tom

ReputationRep:
    how far do you agree that the economic position of the peasantry in russia was stronger in the period between emancipation and the reolution than it was under lenin, stalin and khrushchev ? any body care to help im horrificly stuck :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    explain how the russo-japanese war showed weakness in the old regime.

ReputationRep:
    Asses the historical view that Stolypin was the last great statesman of tsarist Russia.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I am currently writing my History coursework out for A level! Its a proper mess at the moment, as i also have to consider historians views using contemporary and primary sources! such a pain.. The question I am currently working on is:
    "To what extent do you consider collectivisation a key turning point in the development of agriculture, government and society in Russia from 1825-2000?"

Can you just give me a list of things I can consider in this essay including other key turning points other than Collectivisation? Thankyou so much it'd be of great help!

ReputationRep:
    I kind of need to know the title to your essay to give you any help :rolleyes: also it'll be very helpful if you also tell me what you've already done

do another post with the three themes written out with examples you could use in them and I'll see where you can add / change them

Tom
    Hi,
    I'm currently doing the source based part A question.
    I thought up a question and the teacher said it was ok.
    Here it is:

'How significant was Lenin in Russia's political development from 1918-1924?'
    But I'm stuck. I know what my conclusion would be but I'd appreciate if you could help me with any factors (for a plan) related to political development.

I couldn't just write a paragraph on social or economic because that might stray off the focus of the question. But isn't politics in everything and everywhere though? So confused.

Also, how do you evaluate a source/s in the essay? Do you have to cross-reference them too?

Thanks in advance,

Ellen.

ReputationRep:

Tom
    Hi there! I am currently writing my History coursework out for A level! Its a proper mess at the moment, as i also have to consider historians views using contemporary and primary sources! such a pain.. The question I am currently working on is:
    "To what extent do you consider collectivisation a key turning point in the development of agriculture, government and society in Russia from 1825-2000?"

Can you just give me a list of things I can consider in this essay including other key turning points other than Collectivisation? Thankyou so much it'd be of great help!

ReputationRep:
    hi crocker
    i'm doing my part A coursework, the short term significance of lenin 1917-1922.(2000 words)
    I've got the main arguments of the coursework, Lenin's april theses and its significance, his policies trotsky's role and my teacher's given me quite afew sources to support my argument.
    I wanted to ask how would i link paragraphs together? i'm stuck on trying to link paragraphs
    and any website to get a couple good primary sources
    thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.