Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I loathe that stuff. I know only half the names and then I don't know what I do know does. Other than the substantia nigra, I can do that. But basal ganglia? No thanks. Half the nuclei in the thalamus and all of them in the hypothalmus can **** off :p:
    Add in the entire limbic system to that. Man, I hate that thing.

ReputationRep:
    It's my birthday today - but I have upcoming exams

Do I revise? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)

Happy birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    Happy birthday.
    Hahah thanks
    Argh due to BScness you're overtaking me

If you end up being my F2, can you be nice to me? :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onychophagia)
    There is absolutely no chance that i'll be able to stay awake for all of those 9am starts; my body clock is a mess. :colonhash:
    I was falling asleep in my lecture today and so had an 7 hour nap at about 2pm. So now of course, I can't sleep.

(Original post by CWallace91)
    Add in the entire limbic system to that. Man, I hate that thing. Don't forget embryology as well!
    Don't forget embryology as well!

ReputationRep:
    Happy birthday Philosoraptor!

ReputationRep:
    Just read the thread where some nice person wrote a v detailed thing about salaries -- I had NO IDEA you'd reach 30K by FY2/ST1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)

Happy Birthday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Just read the thread where some nice person wrote a v detailed thing about salaries -- I had NO IDEA you'd reach 30K by FY2/ST1.
    If you're lucky with banding you'll earn that, or very close to it, as an F1 (pre-tax).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If you're lucky with banding you'll earn that, or very close to it, as an F1 (pre-tax).
    Ahh
    So much money :teeth:

So say you earn £30K, lose about £5k ish in tax..

I saw you said you have to pay things like NI, pension, student loan

How much money would that leave someone with (very approximately)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Ahh
    So much money :teeth:

So say you earn £30K, lose about £5k ish in tax..

I saw you said you have to pay things like NI, pension, student loan

How much money would that leave someone with (very approximately)?
    Last year I was on 1A banding plus London weighting (ie the most an F1 can earn) and I think my take-home pay added up to between £24-25k for the year. Outside London that would therefore be £22-23K. Obviously this will have risen by the time you get there, though not necessarily in line with inflation so in real terms it might be less, but it's a perfectly comfortable salary for someone just out of uni, as long as you don't try to compare with your banker/lawyer friends!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Last year I was on 1A banding plus London weighting (ie the most an F1 can earn) and I think my take-home pay added up to between £24-25k for the year. Outside London that would therefore be £22-23K. Obviously this will have risen by the time you get there, though not necessarily in line with inflation so in real terms it might be less, but it's a perfectly comfortable salary for someone just out of uni, as long as you don't try to compare with your banker/lawyer friends!
    That is pretty sweet. Especially if you are used to living on £5K a year as a student!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys
    The only reason I'm happier to get older is that it's closer to graduating

Will have to make up and start studying by tomorrow... (ok the day after as I'll have a headache most likely :p:).

ReputationRep:
    See I rather like being a student and would probably be happy in perpetual studenthood....

Assuming there was no financial issue with that idea...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Happy Birthday Philosoraptor!! :cake:

Tomorrow it's exactly a year since my UEA interview. It seems so long ago.....

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't clicked on the old Med Soc page and only just realised the new one. I've joined, but not on the list yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    I have had one and am not even clinical...

I would say go for it...
    Got it today in occy health, definitely worth it nearly everyone on the resp ward is in isolation ._.

(Original post by Bslforever)
    We can but live in hope.
    Quick question for you two - are any medics in your year interested in extra teaching/getting distinctions?

I'm thinking of setting up a teaching group, partly for me (cv, I like teaching, good recap) and for you guys. An FY2 did this for us at Hillingdon hospital, and now me and a few mates want to do it for the lower years.

I know there's muslim medics/med ed but tbh I found their tutorials naff, dumbed down and formal - I'm going for an informal, no nonsense approach, high yield teaching once per week aimed purely at getting distinctions for everyone that comes.

Now I doubt any freshers will have even opened the prospectus yet, so we might start with yr 2, then yr 2 and yr 1 next term.

What do you think the level of interest will be like?

ReputationRep:
    I SO have to do this............

IM A FINAL YEAR

Oh my crap - finals then im done. I feel sick and excited all at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (well technically speaking)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzcat)
    Got it today in occy health, definitely worth it nearly everyone on the resp ward is in isolation ._.

Quick question for you two - are any medics in your year interested in extra teaching/getting distinctions?

I'm thinking of setting up a teaching group, partly for me (cv, I like teaching, good recap) and for you guys. An FY2 did this for us at Hillingdon hospital, and now me and a few mates want to do it for the lower years.

I know there's muslim medics/med ed but tbh I found their tutorials naff, dumbed down and formal - I'm going for an informal, no nonsense approach, high yield teaching once per week aimed purely at getting distinctions for everyone that comes.

Now I doubt any freshers will have even opened the prospectus yet, so we might start with yr 2, then yr 2 and yr 1 next term.

What do you think the level of interest will be like?
    I agree with you on MM. Oh I would be happy to help out on this if you ever do it.

I think it would be popular.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.