Your most controversial views? Watch

Craig_D
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Michael Locke)
Oh, and neither Britain nor Argentina 'own' the Falkland Islands.
Interesting point, but does any government own any piece of land? Seems to me that concept of 'owning' anything is the ability to defend your possession of it. No government has the real authority to declare the land on which they stand 'theirs' in reality. Surely however the UK holds the Fauklands in every sense in which they also hold the mainland.
AmericanPsycho
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't care what background the Prime Minister and government are from, just as long as they run the country well.

I would happily sacrifice political freedoms and a few less important civil rights if that meant I would be able to earn more money and live a better quality of life.

I do not care about or sympathise with neo-radical, pseudo-intellectual obscure political groups who do nothing but sit around broadcasting their views about how politics and society should be changed

I feel annoyed when I see kids who throw opportunities away just to try and do things they think are "cool" like getting mind-raped by drugs and wearing outrageous hairstyles and clothing just to get attention from peers

I am viciously anti-racist

I am pro vigilantism

Religion should be kept out of the classroom

I am pro choice
Bulbasaur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Pro-tuition fees increase.
Valindrius
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ArcadiaHouse)
That's because men are threatened by feminism.
I apologise if this seems pedantic, and I’m sure that you intended for your post to be read with common sense (which I don’t have!), but I would like to take this opportunity to categorically state that I’m certainly supportive rather than threatened, and I'm sure that's the case for many other men too. I also apologise for focusing on your comment like this but I would hate to read this without a reply, as I’d feel that I tacitly failed to oppose those that consciously or unconsciously perpetuate patriarchy by turning a word of equality into a pejorative term thereby suppressing the individual liberty of half the darn species.

Sorry for taking your time with this, and I hope this didn't seem critical in any way, as that isn't intended in the slightest.
MJay91
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think that we should start learning the African women about what a contraception is and the African men about how to use a condom. That way we wouldn't have to send there that much food and they wouldn't have such high mortality rate. It's a win for both sides.
meowmeowmutiny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think we should try to keep our population the hell down. Also to use any means necessary to deal with the medium term economic problems that causes :3
joey!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Noodlepants)
All Rapists/Paedophiles should have their bits and bobs chopped off and be left to bleed to death.

I cannot believe 2 people negged this, who the EFF thinks these people should be able to life or "change" they're mentally ill and will never change. It'd save us a lot of money in taxes. Whta's the point in allowing these people to live when they'll nver be normal. The Mind boggles.
That's all incorrect.
Noodlepants
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joey!)
That's all incorrect.
It's called an opinion.
Danny.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Bring back the cane, bring back the death penalty, raise drinking age to 21, bring back national service, follow Hong Kong's example of taxation and drastically cut back on immigration, you only come here if you have skills that are needed. Would sort us right out I reckon.
joey!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JohnC2211)
Right, it's late so I didn't look through all 12 pages... apologies. Some of these may have already been said.

1) UK Police should have training in firearms and the ability to carry firearms on duty if they so choose. It would not be a requirement, and there would be no quotas. It would be similar to the current AFO system we have in place now, only the PC would be able to carry their firearm routinely, and not just when the superintendent allows it. Again, this would NOT be a requirement, as many Officers state if they were forced to carry a gun, they'd resign.

2) I am still undecided whether or not we should have the right to bear arms. I can see both sides of the argument. One is that just look at America, they have lots of gun crime, England will be the same. My response to that is look at the SIZE of America compared to England. It's MAHOOSIVE. Of course they are going to have more crime. Criminals can get their hands on guns relatively easily in this country, so the only persons being affected by the anti-gun laws are law abiding citizens.

3) I'm all for the death penalty in certain circumstances. Forensic evidence has reached the point now where it is highly unlikely that an innocent person would be executed. Obviously, the death penalty would not be available when said forensic evidence was unavailable, or there was ANY doubt.

4) Schools should only be allowed to teach religion as part of a discussion of a wider philosophy. i.e they should explore other religions. Particularly in Primary School. In mine, we were forced to sing hymns every morning at the start of assembly, we had to go to church on school trips, and I regularly got detention for not singing the hymns, and for telling the teachers I did not believe in God (yeah, I was a little trouble maker). Fair enough that some schools are catholic/christian schools, but some parents have no choice but to send their children there. There may not be another school in the local area etc, and young children are being taught that religion is fact, and when they don't respond, they are punished.
1. That's a great idea.

2. Everyone looks at the USA when it comes to the right to bear arms, but for example Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, and one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. There's nothing wrong with the right to bear arms, I believe it comes down to the pre-existing crime rate and efficiency of gun control, as well as the police.

3. Disagreed. The death penalty is the most extreme violation of human rights, you may as well allow torture and degradation as well.

4. Agreed. I also believe that faith schools should not be allowed to discriminate against children of other or no faith in the admissions procedures.
joey!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Noodlepants)
It's called an opinion.
But it's objectively incorrect. Every heard of therapy or behaviour modification?
04ghicks
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by sherlllll)
I don't really want to go much into this here because I know from past experience how controversial such a view is, but I watched David Cole's revisionist series on youtube and found some of his arguments quite compelling. Linked if you want, it's interesting to watch the series as he's clearly not some white supremacist bigot; he's Jewish and relies only upon evidence and factual, logical arguments. His arguments in this series single out Auschwitz in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXKHw0EZrqM
Just watched this series, very interesting!

I think its convincing me, though half of that battle is probably won by the fact the guy who did it was very balanced, not trying to be sensationalist or anything like that.

Hmm, *ponders* :rolleyes:

Edit: Though looking at some of the comments on youtube, word on the street is that theres a lot more to it, oh, damn you history!
Noodlepants
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joey!)
But it's objectively incorrect. Every heard of therapy or behaviour modification?
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...nd-565132.html

Pass it they live.
Fail it... bye bye
JohnC2211
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joey!)
1. That's a great idea.

2. Everyone looks at the USA when it comes to the right to bear arms, but for example Switzerland has one of the lowest crime rates in the world, and one of the highest gun ownership rates in the world. There's nothing wrong with the right to bear arms, I believe it comes down to the pre-existing crime rate and efficiency of gun control, as well as the police.

3. Disagreed. The death penalty is the most extreme violation of human rights, you may as well allow torture and degradation as well.

4. Agreed. I also believe that faith schools should not be allowed to discriminate against children of other or no faith in the admissions procedures.

An interesting point about Switzerland, I didn't know that. I am leaning towards being in favour of allowing citizens to bear arms, because at the end of the day, the people who are going to do harm with guns are going to find ways to get them anyway.

I respect your opinion on number 3, however I believe that in such cases where the death penalty would be justified, the offender has clearly committed a gross violation of human rights of another individual. Prisoners already have liberty, right to vote etc revoked as part of their punishment. There would be EXTREMELY strict guidelines as to how and when the death penalty would be used (because we all know how often the courts like to twist the words of the law).

As per my points above, I respectfully disagree.
lovely_me
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I believe in suffrage for prisoners.
python
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by joey!)
Cool, but how about their victims?
lightburns
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh, I've just thought of something I believe which is controversial.

I don't believe in free will. This means that rapists and murderers did their actions due to biological or environmental causes alone.
I don't believe anyone deserves punishment.
Punishment can be used to cause people to be good. But only the minimum punishment should be used. If punishment won't make the person better, then it shouldn't be used at all. Prisons should exist to serve two functions; to make criminals into better people, and to protect society.
ch0llima
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chaofan88)
I'm sorry, exactly what is wrong with feminism. The whole point of feminism is to attain equality between men and women, not to raise women above men or to somehow try and rule men as obsolete and inferior. Once someone is fighting for women to be recognised as better than men it can no longer be called feminism.

I guess that's my controversial view, I support feminism. Sad that it could so be considered controversial..
As I implied in an earlier response, how many people actually know the true definition of feminism? Hint: hardly any; they see feminism and think "anti-male propaganda".

Feminism is fine in its true form. However, when it's taken out of context and used as a form of anti-male elitism then it's gone way too far yet, as I also said, this is apparently acceptable whereas equal or lesser chauvinism and misogyny get you roasted. Hope that clears things up

Oh, and another few views of my own:

1) I support the tuition fee rise - as hard as it is to accept, we're essentially broke. Cuts have to come somewhere and the academic system in its current form is verging on unsustainable

2) However, following on from this, I am against the ludicrous salaries high level academics are getting. How can too many university principals justify £150-200k+ plus expenses, pensions, private healthcare contributions etc. when there are private sector CEOs with greater responsibility lucky to get half that? All this while institutions are making cuts, closing departments and laying people off and the student experience is being directly hit. Personally, I think the government should implement legal limits and restrictions on senior academic pay and perks as a trade-off for the fee rises - I am adamant that the fee rises are necessary and worthwhile, but something has to give to soften the blow to people actually having to pay these fees

3) I'm also against the high salaries of people in the entertainment and media industry in general. Why are there people in The Big Bang Theory cast getting paid $200k per episode, rising to $350k by the time the seventh season rolls round? Why is Andrew Marr getting paid £600k (gross) when I'd actually forgotten who he was until this news broke? Jonathan Ross is as funny as gang rape, yet he was on a three year deal worth £18m while at the BBC? Sorry, folks, but it's ridiculous and I'm not surprised there are so many licence fee dodgers out there

4) The endless fawning over film stars. I find the Oscars and BAFTAs just plain awful (a bunch of overpaid and arrogant tools in dinner suits and nasty dresses :party:), and there's always one film (which is hyped up by the overpaid drones who are covering the thing) which, by default, wins absolutely every award going so it's a foregone conclusion and hardly worth thinking about. I also love the shock and contempt that appears whenever one of the awards goes to something else ("What, the King's Speech only won 217047932 awards instead of 217047933? SCANDAL!")
philistine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Being a (spoken) advocate of capital punishment. I have quite a lengthy and considerable explanation for my reasoning, though in short, I think a hard-nut process should follow the verdict, and it should only be a carefully considered ultimatum undertook by both the courts and the institutions or enterprise involved.

I'm also pro-abortion, under the right circumstances.
LawBore
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CharlieBee_90)
This.
Srs?

I'm actually even more against this than the death penalty- it is, quite literally, a fate worse than 'just death'. And for the same reasons- even apart from simple instinctive moral aversion, there will always, always, be innocent or borderline innocent people who slip through the net. Just the thought of this makes me shudder a bit. After being moved to tears in the NY Holocaust Museum, I can't see how we could claim to be morally superior to those it documents after this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (234)
39.39%
No - but I will (40)
6.73%
No - I don't want to (43)
7.24%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (277)
46.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed