Turn on thread page Beta

Girls, would you change your surname to your husband's when you married? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls,would you change your surname?;Guys, do you expect your wives to change theirs?
    Yes
    71.82%
    No
    28.18%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    I did.
    Mrs. Johnson?:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Callaghan)
    Mrs. Johnson?:eek:
    Mrs. Peters.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, of course. I think it's a big part of marriage

I also will jump on the 'I don't like my own last name' waggon I swear when I say it to someone 9 times out of 10 they have to get me to spell it out, or failing that make their best effort to say it back to me and successfully fail :cool:

...and for anyone that's wondering, I am fully english I think my last name is just a bit posh

ReputationRep:
    If I marry the love of my life, the one person in the world with whom I FEEL as one soul, I would feel honoured to change my last name to one that belongs to both of us. I don't believe in white dresses or wedding cakes or rings. I don't even believe in relationships and everlasting love. But I believe in the congeniality of the souls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmagpie)
    Apologies if I'm not the first to say it, but marry him, keep your name and people can refer to you as **** and Ball.
    They could solve crimes on the telly!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't necessarily want her to officially change her surname to mine, but I'd hope she'd be happy, at least informally, to be known as <her first name, my surname> or Mrs <my surname>.

The reason for this is because it's so common and embedded into tradition to do this, that if she was insistent on not using my surname, I'd probably interpret it as some form of strong statement. There seems to be a lot of "I'm not his property" going around these days, but there's really no need to be so defensive about it - nobody said anything about being anyone's property. I'm not my father's property, but I still keep his surname, just because in our culture it's the default thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    I wouldn't except her to at all. I'd be fine with whatever we had agreed upon, a double barrel name, I take her name, she takes mine or we keep our own names.

Do you Simon Barrow-Shepherd take this woman to be your lawful wedded wife?
    And do you Joanne Bloggs-Christensen take this man to be your lawful wedded husband?

I know pronounce you Mr and Mrs Barrow-Shepherd-Bloggs-Christensen.

That would be quite a name actually. :awesome:
    Can you imagine form-filling though :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fat-Love)
    If you had a brother called Richard...

The name's Balls... **** Balls...
    How people go from Richard to **** is beyond my understanding...

ReputationRep:
    Nahh.....in my culture that doesn't even exist. The woman keeps her name, and the children take the name of the husband. Keeping our names signifies the importance of both families and so there's no confusion with name changes.

And as for the whole keeping the family line going, that's never been a problem for us. We somehow know how everyone is related to us lol!

ReputationRep:
    I would hyphenate it. I don't want to get rid of my surname. Why? Because my brother and I are the last ones carrying it (we have NO cousins), and my brother most likely won't have children. My grandfather meant a lot to me and so I want his name to live on for as long as possible.

So no way would I completely change it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Either way round you get a man's name - your father's or your husband's. I prefer my husband to my father.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Memo100)
    No, I won't be his property so why should I put his name at the end of mine? And anyway, he'll be no where near as perfect as my father who's name I'm proud of carrying
    So you're your father's property since you have his name?

ReputationRep:
    I would change it, purely coz I hate my surname and I think it'd be a nice change

ReputationRep:
    i'd do one of those double-barrel things...

i love my surname too much to just drop it for some dude.. !!"

ReputationRep:
    I will change it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 22KT22)
    I would change my name for official stuff such as forms etc as I am a traditionalist and like the idea of taking my husbands name.

However as I'm training to be a teacher I'm not sure I would for work if I got married whilst halfway through a year as it would be confusing to the children.
    I think you greatly underestimate the wit of your average child. If they can't cope with a teacher changing her name then how are they going to cope with, oh I don't know, pretty much anything more complicated than farting.

Then there's always what my year 1 teacher did and have the kids call her by her maiden name till the change of year.

ReputationRep:
    I would.. unless I didn't like theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    So you're your father's property since you have his name?
    I can't do anything about that. Everyone takes their father's family name thats just how it goes. Nobody owns me, I'm just saying voluntarily taking your husbands name suggests that you are ok with him branding you with his name as if he owns you. My dad made me, thats different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    I think you greatly underestimate the wit of your average child. If they can't cope with a teacher changing her name then how are they going to cope with, oh I don't know, pretty much anything more complicated than farting.

Then there's always what my year 1 teacher did and have the kids call her by her maiden name till the change of year.
    I realise this but it would depend very much on the class I was working with, some classes would struggle with change of name etc.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not to sure, erm... probably if it doesn't make things to complicated.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.