Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by _Shmiley)
They will sit there and make up absolute crap about how it's so healthy and that anyone who doesn't do it is a pussy and not worth their time and how they do it and that their parents put it in their stockings for Christmas (I've actually heard people say this!!!) :rolleyes:
They're certainly not healthy... but, to be honest, something like Cannabis is better than Tobacco... I think it's silly to claim that it's healthy.

That's just, I don't even know what... that's just silly.
although - I think the same can be said when people are on facebook 'SOOOOOO HUNGOVER YOLO'
Samus2
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by nohomo)
I try to avoid drugs. They've only done me harm. I'd advise people against using drugs. If their life already feels meaningful and they're happy, why risk messing that up? Otherwise, drugs could make it worse. In particular, I'd warn people against nicotine and alcohol. Don't be taken in by the friendly packaging: nicotine and alcohol can wreck your life.

This idea of "experimenting" with drugs is silly. It's just using drugs because you're bored. I've learned nothing from using drugs. Try studying or learning a real skill.
That's fair enough and that's your experience.
I'm happy with my life, drugs don't make them worse or better though. I just enjoy doing them for fun.

i think what gets often overlooked though is the fact that Nicotine, Caffeine and alcohol can be just as harmful as drugs such as MDMA and Weed.
such_a_lady
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I fear any form of dependency or addiction, so have never touched alcohol, nicotine or other recreational drugs. I don't drink coffee and only take painkillers when absolutely necessary, so not for headaches, for example. If I find myself becoming addicted to Facebook or the internet, I take measures to distance myself from that. I have an INCREDIBLY addictive personality and very little willpower
Jabberwox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If people want to put tons of **** in their system it's their decision, not mine.

So my view on drugs is indifferent.
ChloeElizabeth
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think my view on drugs is more about the trade that is behind it rather than the effects on the body themselves... since a lot of the people that are involved in the drug trade (I'm talking high up, not that kid from your school that can get people some pills) are the same people that are involved in sex trafficking and so on..

And often it's middle class people - who buy free range eggs and cruelty free tuna and organic this organic that, Not Tested On Animals, and then on the weekend go and buy some drugs and throw fifty quid or so into the hands of the lowest of the low.

Also after spending a reasonable amount of time in inner city schools I have to put on my **Won't Somebody Think Of The Children!** hat, and say when you hear little children talk about seeing syringes on the floor in their block, it stops you seeing it as all just a bit of fun.
Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lovebite)
May i ask why you chose to take drugs in the begining and why you continue? Just out of curiosity I'd like to understand why people do it...
I guess for me it was about experimentation as much as it was about fun. A lot of drugs have really, really interesting effects that can't be sufficiently explained, so you have to experience them to understand them. It's amazing just how much your consciousness can be altered and what it is possible to experience subjectively, and I wanted to explore that. The fun was more of a by-product of that. The important thing is to not be an idiot. I've never taken anything that I haven't researched extensively beforehand and I stay away from anything with a high potential for addiction or harm. Now that I've graduated I've moved out of that phase but I still think it was worthwhile, I had a lot of fun and will cherish a lot of the memories.
mddub39
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The worst is those who drink yet judge people who smoke pot. I don't smoke pot really, I've done it 5 or so times and even then it's just with friends or to celebrate finishing exams. I know moronic people who lament how bad pot is, yet they go out and drink alcohol at parties. Clueless, ****ers.
glousck
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mddub39)
The worst is those who drink yet judge people who smoke pot. I don't smoke pot really, I've done it 5 or so times and even then it's just with friends or to celebrate finishing exams. I know moronic people who lament how bad pot is, yet they go out and drink alcohol at parties. Clueless, ****ers.
Agreed, this reminds me of a comment I heard a while back...

"I had a pill last night that made me violent, vomit, slurr my speech, fall over and black out with complete memory loss for the finer details. All I have to show for my night out is a black eye, ripped shirt and bloody mouth.

... sorry, did I say it was a pill - I meant pint"

Obviously a pill and a joint aren't the same thing but hopefully you see where i'm going with this
ChloeElizabeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by mddub39)
Ok, sure, but what about all the young kids that get killed every year because of gang wars based around the drugs trade? No similar consequences (I'm aware of) of drinking alcohol.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I see, I think i don't understand it all and so when someone mentions drugs i link it to my parents, and i'm like ooo no!
I thought it just opened up a whole load of crazy in people.
It's hard to accept things you don't understand. I think i need to talk to a doctor about it haha
It can open up some crazy in some people- people who are genetically predisposed to mental illness should most likely avoid substances, as they can complicate things. You'll hear people saying that pot gives people schizophrenia, which is dishonest. Schizophrenia generally is diagnosed in the early 20's, but for potential schizophrenics their symptoms can appear sooner if they happen to smoke cannabis. So yes, there can be worry if your family has a history of mental illness, but for healthy people who enjoy their substances infrequently they can at times be beneficial.

There's nothing wrong with not taking drugs. If you think they're not your cup of tea, all the more power to you. If you are curious however, do your research!! erowid.com is a great site to learn about different substances, what they do, side effects, ect. Know what your taking, start with low doses, and take proper precautions before and after your experiences, and you may find that substances are only as scary as you allow them to be.

(Original post by ChloeElizabeth)
I think my view on drugs is more about the trade that is behind it rather than the effects on the body themselves...

And often it's middle class people - who on the weekend go and buy some drugs and throw fifty quid or so into the hands of the lowest of the low.

Also after spending a reasonable amount of time in inner city schools I have to put on my **Won't Somebody Think Of The Children!** hat, and say when you hear little children talk about seeing syringes on the floor in their block, it stops you seeing it as all just a bit of fun.
I'm always surprised how many people take this stance when speaking for criminalization. Most people who are pro- legalization have the exact same view as you, but are just taking a different approach to the problem.

If this was a new idea to how to address drug problems, I'd say it'd be a sound opinion. However, we've been criminalizing drugs since the 1910's, and if anything drugs have become MORE available since then. If making drugs illegal meant that they disappeared from our country for good, then I may even be for it. However, that simply is not the case: if somebody wants something enough, there's always going to be a way for them to get it.

This is why I think it is more sensible to decriminalize them so that they can be properly regulated. If drugs were legal, they would be sold a specific stores where ID would be required. The substances people purchase would be free of impurities, which would make most hard drugs much safer for the consumer (nobody throwing sleeping pills into someone's heroin or bleach in someone's cocaine, or any of that crap). If they were legal, the profits would be earned by tax paying business men, not gang members that spend it on guns to shoot other gang members. The tax revenue earned from taxing drugs would go towards drug education and rehabilitation, with potentially some extra cash left over. Portugal and the Netherlands have both started to move in this direction, and although neither have outright legalized all drugs, both of their drug policies have shown a decline in drug use, especially for young people.

So in the end, we're both wearing the "Think of the Children" hat, we just happen to have a different way of doing it.
ChloeElizabeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by WhatsHisFace)
It can open up some crazy in some people- people who are genetically predisposed to mental illness should most likely avoid substances, as they can complicate things. You'll hear people saying that pot gives people schizophrenia, which is dishonest. Schizophrenia generally is diagnosed in the early 20's, but for potential schizophrenics their symptoms can appear sooner if they happen to smoke cannabis. So yes, there can be worry if your family has a history of mental illness, but for healthy people who enjoy their substances infrequently they can at times be beneficial.

There's nothing wrong with not taking drugs. If you think they're not your cup of tea, all the more power to you. If you are curious however, do your research!! erowid.com is a great site to learn about different substances, what they do, side effects, ect. Know what your taking, start with low doses, and take proper precautions before and after your experiences, and you may find that substances are only as scary as you allow them to be.

I'm always surprised how many people take this stance when speaking for criminalization. Most people who are pro- legalization have the exact same view as you, but are just taking a different approach to the problem.

If this was a new idea to how to address drug problems, I'd say it'd be a sound opinion. However, we've been criminalizing drugs since the 1910's, and if anything drugs have become MORE available since then. If making drugs illegal meant that they disappeared from our country for good, then I may even be for it. However, that simply is not the case: if somebody wants something enough, there's always going to be a way for them to get it.

This is why I think it is more sensible to decriminalize them so that they can be properly regulated. If drugs were legal, they would be sold a specific stores where ID would be required. The substances people purchase would be free of impurities, which would make most hard drugs much safer for the consumer (nobody throwing sleeping pills into someone's heroin or bleach in someone's cocaine, or any of that crap). If they were legal, the profits would be earned by tax paying business men, not gang members that spend it on guns to shoot other gang members. The tax revenue earned from taxing drugs would go towards drug education and rehabilitation, with potentially some extra cash left over. Portugal and the Netherlands have both started to move in this direction, and although neither have outright legalized all drugs, both of their drug policies have shown a decline in drug use, especially for young people.

So in the end, we're both wearing the "Think of the Children" hat, we just happen to have a different say of doing it.
I will read all this in a sec - I do think they should be decriminalised & regulated lol! But criticising those that buy them before that point.

WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ok, sure, but what about all the young kids that get killed every year because of gang wars based around the drugs trade? No similar consequences (I'm aware of) of drinking alcohol.

There WAS gang wars based around the alcohol industry, it's called prohibition. When they made it legal again, the gang violence around it went away. And it would be the exact same if you did the same for other substances.

It's not the fact that it's drugs, therefore gangs fight over it, it's the fact that it's illegal. If blue cheese were illegal there'd be people shooting eachother over it as well.
ChloeElizabeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

So in the end, we're both wearing the "Think of the Children" hat, we just happen to have a different say of doing it.
So after reading this properly - yes I agree with all the things that you are saying.

Another point is that if there was no money in it for those on the street, it wouldn't be a viable option for young people to think about as an alternative to actually putting some effort in at school, hence higher levels of education.

I know I agree with these things but I just hit a brick wall when I try and think of how you would ever get the general public to agree - the idea of open debate about it is quashed so quickly it's infuriating, but then I'm not particularly knowledgable about politics with this - are there any politicians currently campaigning for legalisation?

When all the public can see is the typical lazy stoner type talking about legalisation it kills debate :-(

ChloeElizabeth
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
There WAS gang wars based around the alcohol industry, it's called prohibition. When they made it legal again, the gang violence around it went away. And it would be the exact same if you did the same for other substances.

It's not the fact that it's drugs, therefore gangs fight over it, it's the fact that it's illegal. If blue cheese were illegal there'd be people shooting eachother over it as well.
I don't think I made it clear that I am open to debate around legalisation. I AM. I am commenting on people who do drugs on a regular basis, and say it is no worse than alcohol based on the effects - and don't think about where their money is going, who it is funding.

I would be much happier if it was being taxed and regulated. Then the "it's no worse than alcohol" point (applied to cannabis) makes sense.

WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
So after reading this properly - yes I agree with all the things that you are saying.

Another point is that if there was no money in it for those on the street, it wouldn't be a viable option for young people to think about as an alternative to actually putting some effort in at school, hence higher levels of education.

I know I agree with these things but I just hit a brick wall when I try and think of how you would ever get the general public to agree - the idea of open debate about it is quashed so quickly it's infuriating, but then I'm not particularly knowledgable about politics with this - are there any politicians currently campaigning for legalisation?

When all the public can see is the typical lazy stoner type talking about legalisation it kills debate :-(

Glad to have someone agree with me finally haha. I especially agree with the idea that taking the money out of organized crime will force some slackers to try and get a better education. The extra post- secondary admissions may even cause an increase in education funding- meaning that we may not have to become debt slaves anymore! ( a bit of a pipedream, but one can only hope!)

And yes it is a very infuriating situation- most of the people I know don't share my stance on the issue either. I'd say that the first step that us like- minded individuals need to take is to work towards de- stigmatizing the whole culture, as like you said, people are so quick to demonize people who use drugs as lazy, violent, unmotivated, ect.

The only two political authorities that I know of who are for legalization is Ron Paul and Canada's Green Party (and I believe that is only for cannabis too).

In the end I believe that prohibition won't be forever. The real question is how long will it take for society to wake up.

EDIT: If it had seemed like I was angry at you at all in my last reply, it was unintentional. I tend to come off as a **** online haha.
sorafdfs
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Sorry. I just feel when someone does drugs around me, or have done before i see them i'm like owh why did you do that to yourself!
I have nothing wrong with people doing it. For me it's like when everyone found out Britany Spears shaved her head... you're just like, why did you even need to?
But that's why i asked for someone to explain that for me.
Because modern medicine has yet to invent an antidepressant/painkiller that can rival the likes of MDMA/LSD/crack/heroin. That is why most celebrities are on a cocktail of prescriptive antidepressant and anti-anxiety medication yet still top it up with a line of cocaine between social events.
RachelSophia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

So in the end, we're both wearing the "Think of the Children" hat, we just happen to have a different way of doing it.
So it can metally screw you up? :-S
mddub39
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Well I didn't even consider that with my argument, i was just talking about which is less dangerous for a person, and drinking is much worse than marijuana (though not other drugs)
Helmi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think weed should be legal in medical use. It would help so many people who are struggling with cancer/MS.

I don't do drugs nor would I date anyone who does them. Otherwise I'm not too fussed. Everyone can do what they want assuming that they're aware of the consequences and are aware that they are dealing with illegal stuff.

I hate it when people get busted for using drugs / having them and then they whine about it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
WhatsHisFace
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RachelSophia)
So it can metally screw you up? :-S
So yes, there can be worry if your family has a history of mental illness, but for healthy people who enjoy their substances infrequently they can at times be beneficial.

(Original post by Helmi)
Everyone can do what they want assuming that they're aware of the consequences and are aware that they are dealing with illegal stuff.

I hate it when people get busted for using drugs / having them and then they whine about it. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
You do realize that those people probably disagree with the laws... right?

There was a time when if you were a black slave fugitive in the states, that the state could arrest you and return you to your owner. But I guess don't be black in the 1700's if you can't do the time, right?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.04%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.89%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.58%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
37.91%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.57%

Watched Threads